Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

How will Amex counter the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum

The rumored Chase Sapphire Reserve card looks very interesting. Whether it is $100 cheaper than Amex (net of airline fee reimbursement) or $50, the rewards as well as travel insurance looks very interesting and I am hoping Amex ups its game here in the US.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jediwho
The rumored Chase Sapphire Reserve card looks very interesting. Whether it is $100 cheaper than Amex (net of airline fee reimbursement) or $50, the rewards as well as travel insurance looks very interesting and I am hoping Amex ups its game here in the US.
My only thought with that card, if it shows up as rumored, is F 5/24. Separately, we'll see what Amex's retention dept has in store for me when the fee hits on my Platinum card.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
My only thought with that card, if it shows up as rumored, is F 5/24. Separately, we'll see what Amex's retention dept has in store for me when the fee hits on my Platinum card.
I will be surprised if they don't enforce the 5/24 for this card. Regarding Platinum, they would not only need a good retention offer but also improve its benefits and rewards. Amex does not want cardholders who just have Platinum for its FHR, Centurion lounges and GoGo (business card) passes and not spend a dime.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Is the new Chase Sapphire Reserve, and more importantly, the Infinite cards (City Crystal, Ritz Carlton, CSR), a nail in the coffin for Amex Platinum? The four benefits they offer are very solid: primary rental car coverage, Luxury Hotel coverage that could be as good or better than FHR, $100 credit for 2 to 5 airline tickets and GoGo passes -- City Crystal offers this and I know Business Platinum does.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is the new Chase Sapphire Reserve, and more importantly, the Infinite cards (City Crystal, Ritz Carlton, CSR), a nail in the coffin for Amex Platinum? The four benefits they offer are very solid: primary rental car coverage, Luxury Hotel coverage that could be as good or better than FHR, $100 credit for 2 to 5 airline tickets and GoGo passes -- City Crystal offers this and I know Business Platinum does.
International Airfare Program?
Priority Pass lounge access?
These are two features of AXP I use most.
Anyone else offering those?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rickg523
Seriously? PriorityPass?

Seems like everyone offers that these days - Prestige is best as it covers guests.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't seen GoGo listed with the new Chase Sapphire Reserve card.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern
Seriously? PriorityPass?

Seems like everyone offers that these days - Prestige is best as it covers guests.
I was asking, not commenting. If I can get those two benefits for meaningfully less than 425 bucks, I'd drop AXP.
Otherwise, why bother? I don't jump cards for intro offers.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:53 am
Original Poster

PP is offered by all three Infinite cards and the reason why I did not mention it is because every premium card these days offers it...and Amex is probably the most restrictive.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:53 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold

Yes. For a few years American Express had an exclusive on Priority Pass in the USA, but this has ended. Both Citi and Chase now offer Priority Pass -and- they include some free guests; American Express does not. However, neither of them is building their own lounge network, nor offering access to Delta Skyclubs or Airspace lounges.

Last edited by mia; Aug 16, 2016 at 1:27 pm
Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Add to that travel insurance.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was asking, not commenting. If I can get those two benefits for meaningfully less than 425 bucks, I'd drop AXP.
Otherwise, why bother? I don't jump cards for intro offers.
Sorry - I've come to see PP as a throwaway as it's so ubiquitous. But I do use it on occasion.

No question, Prestige wins since it includes family or friends.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Sorry - I've come to see PP as a throwaway as it's so ubiquitous. But I do use it on occasion.

No question, Prestige wins since it includes family or friends.
PP works for me great as I fly out of SJC and it's the only game in town. DL Club access is key along with Amex Lounge.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdix
PP works for me great as I fly out of SJC and it's the only game in town. DL Club access is key along with Amex Lounge.
Right - I'm not saying it isn't useful, but I just have it x3 overlapping from a few cards, plus my wife has Prestige, so I'm covered that way when with her. That's four ways I can get into PP lounges. It's almost more of a pain - I have to remember which card to use when. I should just shred all cards but the Prestige ones.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
AMEX still has the benefit of DL lounge access (Citi losing AA next year, unlikely Sapphire Reserve will offer UA), FHR, International Airline Program, SPG Gold, HH Gold, National Executive, in-house insurance claims, no preset spending limit and no Dynamic Currency Conversion and the Centurion Lounges. Still pretty good, would be nice if they either give 1.25% back for travel, 2x MRs on certain categories or let you use the air fee credit for anything, but still a compelling card to have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.