Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

How will Amex counter the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card?

How will Amex counter the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card?

Old Aug 26, 2016, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
For me its SPG > UR/MR > TYP
I guess I just don't know how to use MR (or more realistically, don't have enough time to travel internationally as much as I want?)

I'm at SPG > UR > TYP > MR. I have 114k MR from the Plat signup, spend, and the 10k for enrolling in pay over time. I have no idea how to use them. My TYP I at least find a good value redeeming for AA flights at 1.6c.

Part of the problem I guess is flying out of SBA. We only have UA, AA, Alaska, and I'd really prefer not driving to LAX. That also adds a hop to any AA flight unless I want to go to PHX or DFW as my destination, because those are the only two places AA flies from here. So that makes BA transfers much less useful.

I really just have no idea how to redeem my MR right now.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
Hm, good idea. I had been thinking that didn't make sense because I'm not sure I would use an Everyday card enough to get the 20% bonus points, but could still be worth it just for the 2 points per dollar on groceries.
Whenever I get close to my Everyday closing and I'm short on purchases, I reload my Amazon gift credit $0.50 at a time. Each one counts as a purchase and if you buy stuff off of Amazon every month it's as good as cash.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 10:43 am

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by penner42
I guess I just don't know how to use MR (or more realistically, don't have enough time to travel internationally as much as I want?)

I'm at SPG > UR > TYP > MR. I have 114k MR from the Plat signup, spend, and the 10k for enrolling in pay over time. I have no idea how to use them. My TYP I at least find a good value redeeming for AA flights at 1.6c.

Part of the problem I guess is flying out of SBA. We only have UA, AA, Alaska, and I'd really prefer not driving to LAX. That also adds a hop to any AA flight unless I want to go to PHX or DFW as my destination, because those are the only two places AA flies from here. So that makes BA transfers much less useful.

I really just have no idea how to redeem my MR right now.
Yep. I had 150,000 or so from a sign in bonus.

I moved some to Plenti points at 1 MR is 1.5 plenti is 1.5 cents since there is a Rite Aid on the corner.

I moved some to BA in case I need to fly to an East Coast city on short notice. I think it is 1 MR = 1.2 BA right now.

Unbelievably I found a round trip DTW to SAN for 20,000 Skymiles.

I also topped off my wife for a Delta redemption and my daughter for a Hilton redemption.

I keep telling myself I should investigate more carriers' plans. But, when pay fee/cancel time comes I'll probably move the points to Delta.

Last edited by highops; Aug 27, 2016 at 10:44 am Reason: grammar
Old Aug 27, 2016, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by highops
Yep. I had 150,000 or so from a sign in bonus.

I moved some to Plenti points at 1 MR is 1.5 plenti is 1.5 cents since there is a Rite Aid on the corner.

I moved some to BA in case I need to fly to an East Coast city on short notice. I think it is 1 MR = 1.2 BA right now.

Unbelievably I found a round trip DTW to SAN for 20,000 Skymiles.

I also topped off my wife for a Delta redemption and my daughter for a Hilton redemption.

I keep telling myself I should investigate more carriers' plans. But, when pay fee/cancel time comes I'll probably move the points to Delta.
Well, I'm likely going to switch to an Amex Everyday. Keep my points, can still transfer them, no annual fee. Hoping for a $200 statement credit retention offer on my Platinum, bringing the annual fee effectively down to $50. I like the Centurion lounges enough to pay $50 for another year.

Plenti is an interesting option. Can pay my AT&T/DirecTV bill that way, and 1.5c is a good value. Of course, then I miss out on 5x from my Ink.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by penner42
Well, I'm likely going to switch to an Amex Everyday. Keep my points, can still transfer them, no annual fee. Hoping for a $200 statement credit retention offer on my Platinum, bringing the annual fee effectively down to $50. I like the Centurion lounges enough to pay $50 for another year.

Plenti is an interesting option. Can pay my AT&T/DirecTV bill that way, and 1.5c is a good value. Of course, then I miss out on 5x from my Ink.
I'll have to find out if it shows as a new card when you downgrade. I might try to get under 5/24 and get one more CSP/CSR bonus. Or I might give up on CSP/CSR and rotate through a few other cards.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR
AMEX Plat response to Chase Reserve?

Hi, just wondering if Amex is planning to offer any enhanced Amex Plat benefits in response to the Chase Reserve card. With the release of the Chase Reserve card, outside of Delta & Centurion Lounge access, I can't imagine why anyone would be inclined to keep their platinum and continue to pay the AF.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:12 pm

I'm closing mine today as they appear to feel content with their current offering.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Keeping mine because it has member since 71 on it.

Oh, and it still pays for itself. But I'm seriously annoyed that the airfare benefit is much more difficult to use than the other cards.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Already discussed here:
Old Aug 31, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by phant0m
Personally my arsenal once I start cancelling some of these cards will be......Prestige ($350 annual - $250 travel = $100 annual fee)
What is the value of the Prestige to you at $100 annual after the changes are in place?

For me losing the golf is huge but I too have Amex Plat, like it a lot but I am replacing CP with CSR
Old Aug 31, 2016, 4:43 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by safra1
Hi, just wondering if Amex is planning to offer any enhanced Amex Plat benefits in response to the Chase Reserve card. With the release of the Chase Reserve card, outside of Delta & Centurion Lounge access, I can't imagine why anyone would be inclined to keep their platinum and continue to pay the AF.
Easy to imagine. Plat also gives you Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, National Executive, boingo, and FHR program with $100 credit is more than the Chase Luxury hotel program.

Not sure what the big deal is with Chase Reserve other than the primary car rental and that one-time bonus.. The 3x travel spend one can get with Citi Premier.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:19 pm

Hilton gold comes with the HH Reserve for $95 a year. SPG gold is blah as is the National status. Amex Plat is now officially overrated.......
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59
What is the value of the Prestige to you at $100 annual after the changes are in place?

For me losing the golf is huge but I too have Amex Plat, like it a lot but I am replacing CP with CSR
I need it to transfer TYP points freely so its either the Prestige or the Premier which are both $100 a year basically. I guess I'd have to try to make use of that 4th night free thing but I don't typically stay in a city more than 3 days.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Originally Posted by brodielayne
...is blah as is the National status. Amex Plat is now officially overrated.......
Amex Plat might be overrated, but the National status is pretty bomb. Executive Aisle access was amazing in Hawaii. Elsewhere, I've convinced attendants to "find" an SUV for the AI a couple times. I figure I got about $2k in AI upgrades in my first year alone.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brodielayne
Hilton gold comes with the HH Reserve for $95 a year. SPG gold is blah as is the National status. Amex Plat is now officially overrated.......
AMEX Plat might be overrated but at least you are getting instant status with travel partners. Can't say the same for CSR. Without the sign up bonus, what's appealing about CSR? There's really no unique feature exclusive to CSR.

AMEX Plat has Centurion Lounge access.
Citi Prestige has 4th hotel free.

What does CSR offer that another card, whether it be one of the two competitors above or a cheaper anuual fee card, does not already offer?

Chase had an opportunity to implement the "Visa Infinite Discount Air Benefit" but choose not to. Instead, they just copied the competition instead of offering something truly unique.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.