Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

How will Amex counter the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How will Amex counter the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2016, 4:34 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
but still a compelling card to have.
Indeed, the AMEX Plat is a compelling card to have for its benefits.... the issue for me is that it's just not a compelling card to use for spend, compared to so many other card products out there.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL PM
Do you guys foresee Amex Platinum losing Delta SkyClub benefit now that prestige lost admirals club and new chase wont have united club access?

This is really the only reason why I have a platinum over delta reserve.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
AMEX still has the benefit of DL lounge access (Citi losing AA next year, unlikely Sapphire Reserve will offer UA), FHR, International Airline Program, SPG Gold, HH Gold, National Executive, in-house insurance claims, no preset spending limit and no Dynamic Currency Conversion and the Centurion Lounges. Still pretty good, would be nice if they either give 1.25% back for travel, 2x MRs on certain categories or let you use the air fee credit for anything, but still a compelling card to have.
Totally agree, but the question is that when you don't have compelling rewards, will people put enough spending on the card and that's where Amex makes most of its money from. Even before Costco breakup in late June, Amex share of swipe and volume has been growing much slower than Chase. So, you could still have 1.4 million or more Platinum cardholders five years from now, but that won't drive Amex's bottomline or even topline.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 5:40 pm

I do not think Amex will loose Delta ever and is a solid marriage since Amex saved Delta financially and they have their computers tied together.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jediwho
Is the new Chase Sapphire Reserve, and more importantly, the Infinite cards (City Crystal, Ritz Carlton, CSR), a nail in the coffin for Amex Platinum? The four benefits they offer are very solid: primary rental car coverage, Luxury Hotel coverage that could be as good or better than FHR, $100 credit for 2 to 5 airline tickets and GoGo passes -- City Crystal offers this and I know Business Platinum does.
I think it's a little premature to use terms like "nail in the coffin" I also think that some of the new cards are getting a little over-hyped by the usual suspects. The Boarding Area bloggers seem to be enamored with quoting Visa "Infinite" benefits as something amazing. However, it's very unclear what the "core" benefits for that branded card actually are.

As an example, several bloggers were claiming earlier this week that new Chase card would have the "Infinite benefits such as the $100 domestic airfare discount" However, Chase confirmed today that the new card does NOT in fact offer that benefit. Additionally, some bloggers assumed that, like the first US issued Visa Infinite card, this one would include the GoGo Wi-fi benefit. However, at least so far, it doesn't appear that either the RC card or the new Chase card will have that benefit either.

Ritz Carlton card just doesn't excite me, particularly with the increased annual fee.

I'm still relatively happy with Amex Platinum, they have played it cool in the face of the competition. Many folks were questioning why Amex did not respond with more competitive benefits upgrades in the face of Citi Prestige. However, one thesis I floated in another thread is that perhaps Amex doubted Citi's ability to maintain the incredibly generous benefits they were offering on that card for an effective annual fee of $200. Sure enough, Citi had to blink.

All that said, I do think Amex needs to refresh this card a bit. I know some here are gaga over the Cent Lounge but that has become kind of a joke. AA is bringing almost as many new AC clubs and Flagship lounges online during the rest of this year and next year than Amex has been able to accomplish since they started in this game. They are fundamentally unable/unwilling to scale in the lounge game.

Regards
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Is the new Chase Sapphire Reserve, and more importantly, the Infinite cards (City Crystal, Ritz Carlton, CSR), a nail in the coffin for Amex Platinum? The four benefits they offer are very solid: primary rental car coverage, Luxury Hotel coverage that could be as good or better than FHR, $100 credit for 2 to 5 airline tickets and GoGo passes -- City Crystal offers this and I know Business Platinum does.
According to the TPG post announcing the card, the CSR does not include the $100 airline ticket credit while the Ritz card does.

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/08/chas...-reserve-card/
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:28 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Centurion
I do not think Amex will loose Delta ever and is a solid marriage since Amex saved Delta financially and they have their computers tied together.
Unlike people, corporations do not make decisions based on attachment or emotion. If a partnership doesn't make financial sense for one of the parties, they will end it, regardless of the history. Computers can always be reprogrammed.

Originally Posted by scubadu
I'm still relatively happy with Amex Platinum, they have played it cool in the face of the competition. Many folks were questioning why Amex did not respond with more competitive benefits upgrades in the face of Citi Prestige. However, one thesis I floated in another thread is that perhaps Amex doubted Citi's ability to maintain the incredibly generous benefits they were offering on that card for an effective annual fee of $200. Sure enough, Citi had to blink.
I think they did the same with Costco. They refused to match Citi's reward structure because they know that if they can't sustain those level of rewards, then Citi can't either.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
I think it's a little premature to use terms like "nail in the coffin" I also think that some of the new cards are getting a little over-hyped by the usual suspects. The Boarding Area bloggers seem to be enamored with quoting Visa "Infinite" benefits as something amazing. However, it's very unclear what the "core" benefits for that branded card actually are.

As an example, several bloggers were claiming earlier this week that new Chase card would have the "Infinite benefits such as the $100 domestic airfare discount" However, Chase confirmed today that the new card does NOT in fact offer that benefit. Additionally, some bloggers assumed that, like the first US issued Visa Infinite card, this one would include the GoGo Wi-fi benefit. However, at least so far, it doesn't appear that either the RC card or the new Chase card will have that benefit either.

Ritz Carlton card just doesn't excite me, particularly with the increased annual fee.

All that said, I do think Amex needs to refresh this card a bit. I know some here are gaga over the Cent Lounge but that has become kind of a joke. AA is bringing almost as many new AC clubs and Flagship lounges online during the rest of this year and next year than Amex has been able to accomplish since they started in this game. They are fundamentally unable/unwilling to scale in the lounge game.

Regards
Nail in the coffin is a bit dramatic but the way I look at it is more and more people use Amex Platinum the way I do.....put minimum spending on it but keep it for benefits and insurance. For instance, I have Plat, Prestige, City Crystal and Everyday Preferred with most of my travel spending on Prestige and regular spending on EDP.

I agree on Ritz card. It does not interest me. Nor does Chase Sapphire Reserve -- will try and get it for the 100K bonus though.

Yes, Amex needs to get its game up a little. EDP is absolutely awesome and accounts for probably 30% of my regular spending with the rest going for meeting the minimum spending requirement and Prestige. They totally need to go aggressive with Centurion Lounges and probably come up with some creative benefits that increases Amex usage.

The problem is Amex is it feels like Amex is on a downward spiral and Ken Chenault is second guessing every major decisions they are making.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Nail in the coffin is a bit dramatic but the way I look at it is more and more people use Amex Platinum the way I do.....put minimum spending on it but keep it for benefits and insurance....

Yes, Amex needs to get its game up a little.
I agree. I put very little spend on my Platinum because from a points earning perspective, there's no point. I'll put select purchases and travel on there for the insurance, but for the most part use my SPG card, or whatever earns a good bonus.

How hard would it be for them to give the Platinum the same bonus categories as the PRG? 3x on travel would then put the Plat on the same level earning wise as the CSR and Prestige.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Yes. For a few years American Express had an exclusive on Priority Pass in the USA, but this has ended. Both Citi and Chase now offer Priority Pass -and- they include some free guests; American Express does not. However, neither of them is building their own lounge network, nor offering access to Delta Skyclubs or Airspace lounges.
How many Airspace lounges are there? 3?
Delta Skyclub access is only if you fly Delta. What if you are an AA or UA person?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by s0ssos
What if you are an AA or UA person?
Get a Citi Executive or Chase United Club card? for AA/UA club access, respectively. Once the Citi Prestige lounge access benefit ends, there won't be any other cards that give access to those lounges. BTW, the fee for these cards is close to or the same as the Amex Delta Reserve which includes Sky Club access, so it seems like an equalization across the competing issuers.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:25 pm

I agree that bonus categories on the Platinum would be great, but that would cannibalize the PRG business. $195 is already one of the most expensive consumer cards out there, so it's not like Chase or Citi where it's either $95 or $450.

Looking at the history, how did Amex's current charge card portfolio evolve? I ask, because I could see the platinum coming into play as an elite version of the basic green card, and then the gold (and Premier gold) being added on top of that and "innovating" by adding bonus categories. That's the only way I can square in my head why the Platinum is such a poor earner... well, that or the more cynical "those customers are too rich to care about points" angle.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
As others mentioned, I wish there was some type of bonuses spend on the Platinum Card.

I plan to get the CSR for and put all my travel expenses on it. Anything else will go to my Platinum card.

Additionally, the primary rental insurance on the CSR (and CSP) is great as I get a rental car every week for work.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:50 pm

The CSR may be far more awarding for spend, but the Amex Plat's benefits are still far superior - Centurion Lounge Access, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, ShopRunner, Delta Lounge access, Priority Pass, .etc. CSR just gets you Priority Pass.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by JHake10
As others mentioned, I wish there was some type of bonuses spend on the Platinum Card.

I plan to get the CSR for and put all my travel expenses on it. Anything else will go to my Platinum card.

Additionally, the primary rental insurance on the CSR (and CSP) is great as I get a rental car every week for work.
Why not get a Freedom Unlimited or Everyday Preferred to earn 1.5x UR or MR (rather than 1x) for purchases where you don't need the purchase protection, etc. benefits from the Plat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.