Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When Will AmEx Stop Issuing SPG Cards?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2016, 2:06 pm

Looks like they took a page out of Hyatt's credit card... perhaps they found it made more sense to the average user to award them a benefit which is easily translated - points values (especially such a low number) are meaningless to the uninitiated. "This Chase card will get me 40,000 points vs. this SPG card with only 25,000 points!" While the old offer is still available, I'm glad I applied and got my spending going on the original offers - especially since I was able to take advantage of the 2500 bonus points for an AU.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

There's a corroboration regarding the 2018 date in this article, but from a different angle:

Originally Posted by Motley Fool Writer
Starwood Hotels, another major co-branding partner, was acquired by Marriott in April of this year. Marriott currently partners with JPMorgan Chase for its co-branded credit cards, giving the megabank an inside track to take the Starwood business away from Amex when its contract is renegotiated in 2018.
But unsurprisingly, it seems SPG is not terribly significant to AmEx:

Originally Posted by Business Travel News
Should Marriott terminate Starwood's relationship with Amex in favor of Marriott's co-branded program with JPMorgan Chase, Amex stands to lose its second largest co-branded partnership after Delta. Amex's Starwood portfolio of cards is worth 2 percent of Amex's 2015 billed business and 4 percent of 2015 loans.

[...]

The Starwood portfolio is not as large as the Costco portfolio, which represented about 8 percent of Amex's 2015 billed business and 19 percent of loans. But Starwood is "meaningful enough to hurt given other challenges faced by [Amex]," including its ongoing trial with the U.S. Department of Justice, according to a research note by RBC Capital Markets analyst Jason Arnold.
Hyperzulu may be correct; maybe this is a trial balloon to see if nights are more effective at getting new customers. But when these kinds of co-branding contracts are signed, doesn't the issuing bank typically agree to buy a fixed quantity of points/miles/whatever, which they can then distribute as they see fit? So in other words, would AmEx have a certain amount of SPG points that they need to dispose of before 2018?

Anyway, there seems to be little incentive for AmEx to boost the signup bonus. Another perspective with some interesting numbers:

Originally Posted by credit suisse
Why Credit Suisse sees it differently: "We rate AXP underperform as we see: 1) Increased competition for co-brands has raised the cost of these contracts 20% or more (Delta/Starwood) while others with well over 10% of spend have left Amex (Costco US and Canada, JetBlue). 2) Rising rewards costs. 3) MDRS are under pressure and will decline in 2016 and beyond. 4) Amex is exposed to rising rates (3% of EPS for a 100bp increase) while competitors benefit and will likely market more aggressively in their card businesses 5) While the company is reducing expenses and buying back stock, these efforts are already in the estimates."

Last edited by zippy the pinhead; Sep 22, 2016 at 6:07 pm Reason: Added link & info
Old Sep 22, 2016, 6:15 pm

would rather have the 25k points
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
would rather have the 25k points
Which are still available (see post 14 for a link).

But of course if you were hoping for 30k or 35k for the same trouble (say, because you missed out on last spring's surprisingly-timed 35k offer), it's a letdown. (Especially if all you can apply for is the business version, and that mean you need to do $5k spend in 3 months, not just $3k.)
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Which are still available (see post 14 for a link).

But of course if you were hoping for 30k or 35k for the same trouble (say, because you missed out on last spring's surprisingly-timed 35k offer), it's a letdown. (Especially if all you can apply for is the business version, and that mean you need to do $5k spend in 3 months, not just $3k.)
Absolutely. I'm not in a rush, though, and the need for these SPG points isn't that great.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
<snip>... and the best credit card on the market. :/
Yea... no. There was a time when maybe that was true but it's been quite awhile.

Regards
Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:19 am

So is the new two free nights SPG card considered a "new" product and therefore exempt from Amex's once per lifetime restrictions?
Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:24 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mrstraveler
So is the new two free nights SPG card considered a "new" product and therefore exempt from Amex's once per lifetime restrictions?
I would say no. It's a different offer for the same product, and the terms include the same exclusion.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mrstraveler
If they change the name to Marwood. Or Starriot then yes = new product.

Signup bonus changes never = new product

This is the fourth change in 12 months, 25k, 30k, 35k, 2 nights.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I still see 25,000 point offer here:

https://www262.americanexpress.com/a...pg/106/spg-329
Thanks, for the link. I was looking for a link all over the place. I knew coming here would be good. Just applied for this card.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 2:51 pm
mia

Returning to the original question, it appears American Express will continue to issue SPG cards at least through all of 2017:

Laura Paugh, Marriott International’s senior vice president of investor relations, on Dec. 6 at the Barclays Eat, Sleep Play – It’s Not All Discretionary conference in New York....“Marriott last year did about $120 million of branding fees associated with our credit cards,” Paugh said. “Starwood did roughly $30 million or so associated with their credit cards, as you know, in 2015. Marriott uses a JP Morgan Chase card. Starwood has an American Express card. We have agreements with both of the credit card companies that permitted us to link our loyalty programs and we’ve got some marketing programs associated with both of those that permit people to accelerate the points they’re earning right now. We’re already seeing improvements in card usage. We still need to negotiate with both of them and that’s still something that we’re working towards. I wouldn’t expect to see anything before probably the latter part of ’17 at the earliest.”
https://skift.com/2016/12/13/expedia...ime-they-meet/
Old Dec 27, 2016, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Returning to the original question, it appears American Express will continue to issue SPG cards at least through all of 2017:...
Makes sense as SPG and MR are not expected to merge until 2018.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, there's precedent for two separate card issuers for one reward program - both Citi and Barclays issue AA cards.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 5:17 pm
mia

Originally Posted by ijgordon
FWIW, there's precedent for two separate card issuers for one reward program - both Citi and Barclays issue AA cards.
...also American Express and Citi issue HHonors cards, but I think it is prudent to assume that Marriott will choose one partner, and be pleasantly surprised if they choose to keep both
Old Dec 29, 2016, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Originally Posted by mia
...also American Express and Citi issue HHonors cards, but I think it is prudent to assume that Marriott will choose one partner, and be pleasantly surprised if they choose to keep both
Yes, but Cit and Barclay for AA is the closer precedent since it's as a result of airline mergers. I don't know Citi And Amex both for HHonors arose, but I'm not aware of HHonors having been created from a merger of two different hotel programs.

In any case, with US and AA it was simple: They both used airline miles which were equivalently valued. So it was relatively seamless for Barclay to convert its US card to an AA card.

SPG and Marriott are quite different. SPG is an outlier hotel program whose points are valued similarly to airline miles. Marriott is a more typical hotel program who points are on a completely different calibration than airline miles. (We know specfically than a 1:3 conversion ratio has been established between them.)

So the question is which program will survive. Assuming it's the Marriott program that survives, Amex would have to replace the SPG card with a completely new Marriott card to continue with the new program.

The thought of Amex converting an SPG card 1:3 into a Marriott card "on the fly" brings back one (simpler) reference memory: Diners Club USA used to earn 2 points per dollar and require 2 points to convert to 1 mile, and then one day (back when Citi was still running it) they "recalibrated" and went to earning 1 points per dollar and requiring only 1 point to convert to 1 mile.

Is there any other precedent of cards "recalibrating" instantly while people continue to use them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.