Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

How common are targeted offers without once-in-a-lifetime language?

How common are targeted offers without once-in-a-lifetime language?

Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:49 pm

Sitting on my desk are a targeted offer for PRG for 25K points and for personal Platinum for 50k points, neither of which had the once in a lifetime language. I've had both multiple times in the past. Well today an offer for PRG for 50k points arrived via snail mail. Not sure whether to pull the trigger or hold out for a 75k point offer.

I recently closed my SPG card.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:00 pm

Question Targeted Business Gold Offer 75k without once in a lifetime restriction

I received a 75k Amex Business Gold offer in the mail today. I have had this card about 18 months ago. The paper offer did not include the once in a lifetime restriction. However, when I tried to apply online with the targeted code, this language was there.

Has anyone had any real success receiving a bonus twice under these circumstances?

I have found a few links suggesting that it should be possible but have not been able to find any actual data points. I have already applied via the paper route, so it's just a matter of time until I know. However, any feedback is much appreciated.

I can't image I am the first one trying this. I am just not finding the right thread, I assume.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 6:39 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Additional discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...50k-links.html

It's not unusual for American Express to circulate targeted offers with different terms than public offers, just be sure to retain the original offer -and- screen shots of the application process (if applying online).
Old Feb 11, 2017, 9:56 am

Targeted (mailed offers) are the only way to bypass one bonus per lifetime?

I have had the AMEX Platinum card in the past (and earned a bonus) but recently received a mail-in offer for 50k points. If I apply and meet the min. spend will I receive the bonus?
Old Feb 11, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold
I came here to ask the same thing...I couldn't find fine print mentioning having held the card at any point in my life time, unlike other offers I've seen.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:40 am
Suspended

I was in the same situation as both of you [edited to add WantsAmex and ntwrkguy for clarity since mia consolidated numerous threads.] I called amex to ask about the bonus and told them that i had a plat card in the past. they told me that since it was a targeted offer that i would indeed get the bonus. so i signed up for the card again and i did get the bonus. 25k MR points after hitting $1k and another 25k MR points when i hit $3k. the only thing was that i had to call to get them to post the second 25k MR points. but it was a short call, no argument, and the points posted a day or two after. so all is well.

Last edited by BenSenise; Feb 12, 2017 at 12:16 pm
Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:53 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Moderator action

I have consolidated a half dozen threads going back to this time last year to illustrate that targeted offers without the once-in-a-lifetime provision are not rare, and are valid as written. Once-in-a-lifetime isn't an American Express policy, it's a shorthand summary of a restriction which appears is most offers. If it's not there it doesn't apply, just be sure to document the terms.

Also, bear in mind that lifetime is an exaggeration. The lookback period is about seven years.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: United 1P
Targeted Biz Gold with Biz Gold still open

Hi there,

I received a targeted Biz Gold offer of 75,000 points in the mail. The offer does not have the "new user only" language. I currently have a Biz Gold card open under a past business name. Can I still apply under the target offer and receive 75,000 points using my current business name? Thank you!

Last edited by kgkg; Apr 20, 2017 at 9:19 pm
Old May 29, 2017, 5:37 am

Is Amex PRG churnable?

i noticed something today when signing onto americanexpress.com and want to confirm my understanding.

i previously held the Amex Premier Rewards Gold in 2015 until 2016. When looking at my Amex offers today, I saw a link to a pre-screened offer to apply for the Amex PRG with a 50k MR sign-up bonus on $2000 spend in 3 months, $0 annual fee first year. I read the terms and could not find the language indicating that those who previously had the card were ineligible. Just to confirm I was reading the situation correctly, I looked at the Amex Platinum page for its offer terms, and there it explicitly stated that those who previously had the product were ineligible for the bonus offer (60k MR on $5000 spend).

i know Amex's policy is one sign up bonus per product per lifetime. But there was no mention of that in the PRG terms. Does that mean this card is churnable, and I can get the bonus again? I can call new accounts via phone to confirm, but I want to know if anybody on the forum has attempted to get this card a second time and succceeded with getting the bonus?
Old May 29, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: AOPA
Based on what you said you should get it. Just make sure you know the risk of them clawing back. Just use the MR asap.
Old May 29, 2017, 7:57 am
mia

Originally Posted by Ncabanil
... Amex's policy is one sign up bonus per product per lifetime. But there was no mention of that in the PRG terms. Does that mean this card is churnable,...
No American Express (USA) card is broadly churnable. YOU can get the bonus again if you apply through that specific offer. Targeted offers without the exclusion are not rare, but be sure to make and save a copy of the full terms of the offer INCLUDING the terms displayed on the application itself.
Old May 29, 2017, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by mia
No American Express (USA) card is broadly churnable. YOU can get the bonus again if you apply through that specific offer. Targeted offers without the exclusion are not rare, but be sure to make and save a copy of the full terms of the offer INCLUDING the terms displayed on the application itself.
the public offer (25k MR for $2000 spend) terms state that the welcome bonus was only for those who didn't have the card before. The offer found in my Amex profile did not include any such language
Old May 29, 2017, 9:36 am
mia

Originally Posted by Ncabanil
...The offer found in my Amex profile did not include any such language
Understood. Do you still have a question?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
I was able to pull up the 100,000 Plat offer in the credit card offers on Amex's website. There is no lifetime language in bold at the top nor do the terms mention previous customers.

I currently hold a Plat that I opened in 2013 using a 100,000 lifetime mailer. Is it possible I can get ANOTHER 100,000 bonus? My AF posted on my Plat this month so I am deciding whether to downgrade or keep it. If I could get 100,000 again, I will just open abother Plat and close my current one.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
Originally Posted by zorbachs
I was able to pull up the 100,000 Plat offer in the credit card offers on Amex's website. There is no lifetime language in bold at the top nor do the terms mention previous customers.

I currently hold a Plat that I opened in 2013 using a 100,000 lifetime mailer. Is it possible I can get ANOTHER 100,000 bonus? My AF posted on my Plat this month so I am deciding whether to downgrade or keep it. If I could get 100,000 again, I will just open abother Plat and close my current one.
Same question here.

Also, has anyone seen any 150k/$20k Amex Biz Plat codes floating around? That's my next target (if the 100k incognito without lifetime doesn't work)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.