Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by niting
It looks like Amex is trying to find a reason to claw back points. They first apply the logic that you cancelled the card to take away the points. If you pass that criteria (i.e. you still have the card) then they apply the logic that you did MS using giftcards.com or CVS vanillas. If you pass that criteria (i.e. you have the card and didn't do any MS), then they apply the logic that you did not complete the minimum spending by subtracting the $200 airline credits.
they are just determined to take back the bonus points they promised to pay and indeed paid.

calling really doesn't help any. the front line csr don't know nothing why your points were clawed back and just make up whatever excuses they can find.

I never used the points and they haven't been taken back yet, but I don't want to have a negative balance if I do spend them and they take back later. my spending was $2998 organic + $200 MPX + $100 GE.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:56 am

I got a return on a charge which had put me at $3200 from $2900. I was awarded the bonus & return happened after statement closed. Am I doomed now? 92 days window got over just 2 days back
Old Sep 22, 2016, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by milesjjcc
When was your account unfrozen?
It was never unfrozen, I never was able to transfer points to airlines, however I was able to redeem through Amazon and redeemed as soon I knew I can.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 9:59 am

I'm in similar situation. I spent $3030 and got a refund for $100, in the same statement period though. I didn't even realize that the actual spending was less than $3k, since Amex credited the 100k points and I thought I must have spent enough. All my spending was organic and I hope Amex won't crawl back my points.

Originally Posted by milesjjcc
I got a return on a charge which had put me at $3200 from $2900. I was awarded the bonus & return happened after statement closed. Am I doomed now? 92 days window got over just 2 days back
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by chrisremo
Has Amex ever been known to disqualify payment processors (Plastiq, etc.) for minimum spend? My standard practice is to make up the difference in minimum spend with a rent payment, which normally isn't worth the payment fee but is definitely worth it to hit a signup bonus this big. All the spending on my new Plat is 100% normal so far, but I'm likely going to have to fill a gap.
Prophet
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:40 am

Wanted to post another data point. Applied for the 100k link in May, met spend in July through a combination of organic spend (~1500) and spend at simon malls for gift cards (~2.5k). 100k MR pts were removed 9/21. When called they cited prepaid or re-loadable cards, or other cash equivalents; however they basically just read the T&C and looked through my spend to see if anything violated it. They had no power to do anything whatsoever and really were just guessing at the logic behind the points adjustment. They also denied my request to speak to the department that did decide to remove the pts, would not give me a number and declined to transfer me.

Filed a cfpb complaint today. Will be sending in a claim (americanexpress.com/
claim) and following through with arbitration if needed.

My wife also signed up at the same time for the 100k offer, her spend was 100% organic of about 4k, her points have not been touched, yet.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Jesperss
Prophet
And it turns out I didn't actually end up doing that for this one! Hoping it saves me.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:06 am

Update - Amex had taken away my 100k because I had cancelled my card (no MS).
I filed CPFB, and here is their response, which essentially boils down to "don't cancel your card atleast 8 weeks till after your points hit"

I have re-filed with CPFB on the basis that cancellation disclosure only mentions pending/upcoming points forfieted, not already awarded points which have posted being forfieted. Technically since frozen points could be used for statement credit, they should've been available for redemption also right, so Amex can't claim they were not available? Next will do claims and arbitration also.

American Express records indicate you applied for the above referenced Platinum Card from American Express. The
promotional offer associated with the application included receiving 100,000 Membership Rewards (MR) points after
making $3,000.00 in eligible purchases on the card in the first three months of Card Membership.

Your MR account was reviewed to make sure the total of all eligible purchases met the spend requirement of $3,000.00 in
the first three months of Card Membership. Per the terms and conditions of the promotional offer, MR points may take up
to 6 to 8 weeks after the spend requirement is met to become available for redemption. During the 6 to 8 week review
period, although MR points are unavailable for redemption, any continued spend on your card during the first three
months of Card Membership is also reviewed for eligibility toward the promotion.

However, prior to the MR points being made available in your program account, our records show you cancelled your
Platinum Card on August 17, 2016. Accordingly, we reversed the MR points that would have been awarded in association
with the promotional offer because you no longer had a Platinum Card at that time.

On further review, the Amex website itself says "Available Points" under your points balance, so they really don't have a leg to stand on, since they say the points are available.

Last edited by nomii; Sep 22, 2016 at 11:13 am
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:34 am

Hoping this thread dies soon...it's full of questionable activity by Amex and card holders.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Wheezy
Wanted to post another data point. Applied for the 100k link in May, met spend in July through a combination of organic spend (~1500) and spend at simon malls for gift cards (~2.5k).

Filed a cfpb complaint today. Will be sending in a claim (americanexpress.com/
claim) and following through with arbitration if needed.

My wife also signed up at the same time for the 100k offer, her spend was 100% organic of about 4k, her points have not been touched, yet.
Your wife met the T&C, so she'll be fine. You didn't, so I don't think you'll have success with CFPB or arbitration.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Troopers
Hoping this thread dies soon...it's full of questionable activity by Amex and card holders.
Amen.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Troopers
LOL...Seriously, truer words have never been said.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by juergenritz
got the same letter,
had an amex platinum personal card about 4 years ago and that is the reason they took the points back. Will fight with complaint and notice of claim (arbitrage) in November when I have more time.....
regards
JR
If you clearly had it before then fighting it will do no good as that is clearly stated in the terms. But if you want to try go for it
Old Sep 25, 2016, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Voli
If you clearly had it before then fighting it will do no good as that is clearly stated in the terms. But if you want to try go for it
If you had the same, generic Amex Platinum, then agreed. But if you had other flavors such as Ameriprise, then it is not a settled issue (even in Amex' eyes, accoring to DPs).
Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:20 pm

As another DP, I was approved last month for a targeted 100k Plat offer, met the spend + a couple thousand more organically within a week and had the the points post. However, I'm unable to transfer them and when I call I'm just told that my account is under review and there's nobody I can talk to about it.

I can't believe they are even doing this with targeted links. How absurd.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.