Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA Platinum: personal vs co-branded vs business, which to keep, which to close?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA Platinum: personal vs co-branded vs business, which to keep, which to close?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2016, 4:54 am
Original Poster

I have one business, but I may get a personal version soon. I don't want to pay two annual fee, so should I keep business or personal platinum? It seems like business has more benefit with OPEN saving, but everything else seems similar to me.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 12:01 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
If you only need one physical card, Business Platinum is better because:

1. Not reported to credit bureau unless you default
2. 30% rebate when using Pay with Points for your chosen domestic airline
3. Ten Go-Go Inflight WiFi sessions

However, if you need a Supplementary Platinum card it is much more expensive than on the personal card ($300 vs $175)

The personal card is also available with Contactless payment chip, while the Business card (currently) is not.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
If you only need one physical card, Business Platinum is better because:

1. Not reported to credit bureau unless you default
2. 30% rebate when using Pay with Points for your chosen domestic airline

However, if you need a Supplementary Platinum card it is much more expensive than on the personal card ($300 vs $175)

The personal card is also available with Contactless payment chip, while the Business card (currently) is not.
Can you elaborate on point #1?

I won't have any AU, so I guess my choice will be keeping business card after canceling personal card next year after getting bonuses and airline gift card.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 3:46 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
Can you elaborate on point #1?
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/which-...-cards-report/

Last edited by mia; Apr 20, 2016 at 9:46 am Reason: Formatting
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
I have one business, but I may get a personal version soon. I don't want to pay two annual fee, so should I keep business or personal platinum? It seems like business has more benefit with OPEN saving, but everything else seems similar to me.
100,000 points for signing up is more than 10 gogo passes. Oh add the 5% open savings on the Business Plat.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 4:17 pm

What are the fees for getting employee cards on a business platinum account that are either gold or green cards? Can you even still do that?
Old Apr 20, 2016, 4:28 pm
mia

Originally Posted by jordan_h
What are the fees for getting employee cards on a business platinum account that are either gold or green cards? Can you even still do that?
Green = Free
Gold = $45/year

These cards do not inherit the benefits of the Platinum card. They simply earn 1 point per dollar.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: AA PLT, 3MM, DL Plat, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
Business plat better for me, for the following reason:

"3. Ten Go-Go Inflight WiFi sessions"
Old Apr 21, 2016, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Green = Free
Gold = $45/year

These cards do not inherit the benefits of the Platinum card. They simply earn 1 point per dollar.
That's what I was looking for - I assumed as much, and I'm mostly concerned with my wife being able to help me meet min spending requirements, so the green would be fine.

If both earn only 1pt per $, what's the point of getting a gold card for $45 instead of a green? Isn't the point of having a gold to get 3x/2x bonus categories? Just curious at this point.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 12:48 pm
mia

Originally Posted by jordan_h
...Isn't the point of having a gold to get 3x/2x bonus categories?
The additional Gold cards issued on a Platinum account are not "Business Gold Rewards" cards, they are just Gold cards.

There are some benefits tied to having (at least) a Gold card, rather than a Green card, but they they are not rewards-related. It's things like Preferred Seating through Ticketmaster:

The following American Express cards qualify for preferred seating:

- American Express® Gold Card,

- Platinum Card®,

- Centurion® Card,

- Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card,

- Delta Reserve Credit Card from American Express,

- Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card,

- Delta Reserve for Business Credit Card from American Express,

- Corporate Platinum Card

- Executive Business Card,

- Business Gold Card,

- Business Platinum Card®

- Business Centurion® Card from OPEN from American Express®
...there may also be some differences in flight insurance (the kind where you have to die to collect, not if your flight is delayed.)
Old Apr 21, 2016, 7:15 pm

If you have a legitimate business, the business card annual fee will be tax deductible as a business expense, where the personal card annual fee will not be. If you are in the 40-50% federal and state combined marginal bracket, this could be a $180-225 take home difference.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 7:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by mia
There are some benefits tied to having (at least) a Gold card, rather than a Green card, but they they are not rewards-related. It's things like Preferred Seating through Ticketmaster:

...there may also be some differences in flight insurance (the kind where you have to die to collect, not if your flight is delayed.)
Just thought I'd add if any Canadians are reading this thread: there's a $1000 limit for the combined flight + baggage delay insurance on the Canadian Amex Plat but only $500 on the Gold.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 7:17 am
mia

Originally Posted by schistosomiasis
... the business card annual fee will be tax deductible as a business expense, where the personal card annual fee will not be. .
If you use a personal card exclusively for business the fee is deductible. The IRS does not care about the name of the card, but rather how it is used.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by mia
I just used three of these on recent flights. Saved lots of money, but also saved time/hassle when logging in. Just put in username and password and you're done.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
This thread is similar to one I would have started, so I'll just ask my question here.

I already have the personal AMEX Platinum card and received a 100k sign up bonus a few years ago.

I have used my ink bold card for my small business for the past few years. This weekend in the mail I got a 100k Business AMEX Platinum offer. I'd like to know:

1. It sounds like these are two different products so getting the 100k bonus on the business side shouldn't be an issue, assuming I am approved. True?

2. I would then downgrade my personal platinum to a no fee AMEX, which shouldn't hurt my credit score. Also true?

3. Will it be an issue with AMEX in getting the business plat card when I already have the personal plat?

4. Any watch outs for doing this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.