Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA Platinum: personal vs co-branded vs business, which to keep, which to close?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA Platinum: personal vs co-branded vs business, which to keep, which to close?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:26 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by keloutwest
1. It sounds like these are two different products so getting the 100k bonus on the business side shouldn't be an issue, assuming I am approved. True?

2. I would then downgrade my personal platinum to a no fee AMEX, which shouldn't hurt my credit score. Also true?

3. Will it be an issue with AMEX in getting the business plat card when I already have the personal plat?

4. Any watch outs for doing this?
  1. Correct
  2. You cannot downgrade to a free product because there is no free charge card. American Express does not convert a charge card to a credit card. A CSR may offer to do this, but what will likely occur is that the charge card will be closed, and a new (free) credit card account will be opened. I would keep the personal Platinum open for the time being to earn 5 points per dollar on airfare. When the annual fee is posted, call for a retention offer. You may be able to keep the card for a net cost about $50 or less.
  3. No
Old Oct 25, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mia
  1. Correct
  2. You cannot downgrade to a free product because there is no free charge card. American Express does not convert a charge card to a credit card. A CSR may offer to do this, but what will likely occur is that the charge card will be closed, and a new (free) credit card account will be opened. I would keep the personal Platinum open for the time being to earn 5 points per dollar on airfare. When the annual fee is posted, call for a retention offer. You may be able to keep the card for a net cost about $50 or less.
  3. No
Appreciate the reply. Interesting point about the charge card issue - I'm not sure how to effectively get around that. Having 2 platinum cards makes no sense (for me anyways)
Old Oct 25, 2016, 11:12 pm

If you don't value the 5x points on airfare then yes that is the only thing that is more beneficial in the personal version.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:51 am
mia

Originally Posted by extremeromance
... that is the only thing that is more beneficial in the personal version.
Accurate if you only need a single card, but the Supplementary Card prices are very different.

Personal: $175/year for three supplementary Platinum cards
Business: $300/year for each supplementary Platinum card.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mia
The additional Gold cards issued on a Platinum account are not "Business Gold Rewards" cards, they are just Gold cards.
Hmm. I'm looking at the website now regarding adding employee/supplemental card to a Business Platinum card. These are the options:

Select a Card

Employee Business Platinum Card®:
$300 annual fee

Employee Business Gold Rewards Card:
$45 annual fee

Employee Business Green Rewards Card:
$0 annual fee

I currently have a Business Gold Rewards Card at $175. Very useful to me for the shipping multiple and FedEx Open Savings. Wondering if the additional card on the Platinum has identical benefits to the standalone Business Gold Rewards card.

Also, there is an annual dollar limit for earning FedEx Open Savings. Would the Platinum and the tethered Gold accounts be combined for the limit, or would they each have their own limit? I ship a lot of freight!

Last edited by jrjcopp; Mar 22, 2017 at 7:30 am Reason: Punctuation
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:33 am
mia

Originally Posted by jrjcopp
... Wondering if the additional card on the Platinum has identical benefits to the standalone Business Gold Rewards card.
I think you will need to ask American Express. Their software would need to track bonus earning separately for each card on the same account. It could be done, but it adds complexity.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Amex Platinum Cards - Which to Close

I have a number of Amex cards..more critically I took advantage of an Amex offer today to Upgrade my Amex Business Gold to Amex Business Platinum (even though I aready have one)... Offer was 50k MR for 10k spend.... too good to turn down...

I currently have:

- Amex Platinum Business Card which has been open 2014
- Amex Platinum Personal - open around 4 weeks
- Amex Business Gold - Upgraded to Business Platinum today - I was about to close this account
- SPG Card
- Delta Card

The question is should i close my existing Amex Business Platinum account or can i really have both? I dont want to lose the 50k bonus
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:44 am

Do you want or need both Biz Plats?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
No - Do not need both

- Can I have two Business Platinum Charge Cards? - Surprised that they allow that.

I guess it makes sense to close the old Biz card and and keep the new due to beenfits such as $200 annual credit.

Will i lose any pending points?

Originally Posted by Los_Pepes
Do you want or need both Biz Plats?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:41 pm

Depends on when your AF posts for your old Biz Plat. If you have already paid it, might as well wait until next January so you can take advantage of the annual credits again. If you haven't paid it yet, stop using it, wait for pending points to post, then cancel.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:05 pm

Dont you get a pro-rate refund on AF?

Originally Posted by shimps1
Depends on when your AF posts for your old Biz Plat. If you have already paid it, might as well wait until next January so you can take advantage of the annual credits again. If you haven't paid it yet, stop using it, wait for pending points to post, then cancel.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
IMHO Amex Platinum Business Card is a keeper. 50% points rebate for air ticket purchases is a monster benefit as long as it stays.

I've never had this card and i'm waiting for 100K bonus to come back.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I am closing my personal this year and will then apply for the business card, as it will be a better deal for me.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:07 pm
mia

Originally Posted by navatwal
Dont you get a pro-rate refund on AF?
Policy = No; Practice = Maybe.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-reported.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.