Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Once-in-a-lifetime bonus policy now applies to both personal & BUSINESS cards [USA].

Old Feb 26, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
For earlier discussion of the restriction's application to personal cards, see Put a fork in it 5.1.2014: One bonus per personal card per person "lifetime" [USA].

It is essential to read the terms of the specific offer, but in general:

This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
  • You can only earn one new account bonus for each card issued by American Express in the USA. We do not know precisely how far back American Express looks to see if you have previously held the same card, but there is anecdotal evidence that the Customer Service database looks back only seven years. This means that if you cancelled a card in 2007 or earlier, and have not held it since, you will probably qualify for a new account bonus in 2015.
  • Holding a related card does not disqualify earning a new account bonus. Examples: Green, Gold, and Platinum are each separate products. Delta Gold, Platinum and Reserve are each separate products. The Hilton credit card is a different product than Hilton Surpass.
  • Holding a Supplementary Card (authorized user) on someone else's account does not disqualify you from earning a new acount bonus if you open the same card type in your own name.
  • As of mid-February 2016, Amex appears to be adding the same restriction to its business card products.
  • If you receive a targeted offer, online or through the USPS, for a card which you have previously held you may, or may not, actually receive the bonus. Be certain to save a copy of the offer, and to read and save every screen which appears during the application process.
  • Upgrade offers are different from new account offers. You may be offered a bonus to upgrade (for example) a Gold Card to a Platinum Card, and you may be eligible for that bonus even if you previously held a Platinum card. It is still essential to read and save the terms of the offer.

If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer.
  • This language appeared in the Spring of 2013, a year before the once-in-a lifetime policy was announced. The key term is "may", which gives American Express discretion to award or withhold the bonus.
  • To reduce the risk that the automated system will deny a new account bonus, RIGHT click the application link and open the application in a Private or Incognito browser window. American Express will still know that you are a current cardholder, but the system will not flag your application.

Points will be credited to your Membership Rewards account within 6 - 8 weeks after the spend requirement has been reached.
  • In practice it is not possible to know when American Express's system will credit a bonus to your rewards account. It may happen immediately after you meet the target spend, or it may happen when the next statement (or the following statement) is generated, or it may take the full eight weeks.
Print Wikipost

Once-in-a-lifetime bonus policy now applies to both personal & BUSINESS cards [USA].

Old Feb 26, 2016, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Well, this makes me glad I took the retention offer on my SPG Biz rather than cancel it and try for the bonus again.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 12:20 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Interwoven discussion of the collapse of American Express has been moved:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ress-card.html
Old Feb 26, 2016, 12:32 pm
mia

Originally Posted by westlaker
I also found the targeted 75K for the Platinum Business and 75K for the Business Gold which doesn't have the 12 month nor lifetime language. However, I just closed my Biz Gold account last month. Would like to know if the 12 month period is forced or not for the targeted offer.
If the offer does not contain the 12 month (or lifetime) language, there is no exclusion. The problem is that most offers do have exclusions, and if the bonus does not post automatically it will be up to you to document that yours was different. If you received the offer by postal mail, or by email, this should be straightforward, but if you "found" an offer online it is more difficult to establish that you were entitled to use the offer.

I believe we do have some examples of successful applications using targeted offers shortly after closing the same card, but they will be difficult to locate by searching.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 2:45 pm

well this stinks. between the possibility of chase shutting things down on co-branded cards, possibility of the citi WE loophole closing, and now amex biz tightening up it seems that churning will soon be dead as we know it

Last edited by g8trgr8t; Feb 27, 2016 at 9:01 pm
Old Feb 27, 2016, 4:10 pm
mia

Originally Posted by bombnthud
It seems that if you're on the web page that displays all the Amex Business cards, clicking on the "Offer Terms" link for the SPG Business shows the old "12 month" language. However, once you click on the apply button, the new language shows up on both the application page and the "Offer Terms" link on the application page.
Here is a link to an SPG Business card landing page which has the "12 month" language -and- which loads an application with the same terms:

OFFER:https://www262.americanexpress.com/apply-card/spg/086/spg-241 Link no longer displays 12 month terms as of 3.3.2016

PROCESS: After the page loads, click [Learn More] to load the Business page. Then, click [APPLY] and verify that the application states: Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product within the last 12 months.

Last edited by mia; Mar 3, 2016 at 5:55 am Reason: Rewrite instructions for using link.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 12:53 pm
jk2

Originally Posted by mia
Here is a link to an SPG Business card landing page which has the "12 month" language -and- which loads an application with the same terms:

OFFER: https://www262.americanexpress.com/a...pg/086/spg-241

APPLICATION: https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...t-card/spg-241
Strange, because app shows lifetime policy for me.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by mia

OFFER: https://www262.americanexpress.com/a...pg/086/spg-241

APPLICATION: https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...t-card/spg-241
Originally Posted by jk2
I'm seeing exactly the opposite:
  • Landing page T&C says "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."
  • App page says "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product within the last 12 months."
Go figure.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 3:37 pm
mia

Originally Posted by jk2
Yep, I see the "have or have had" language today, but I did see the "12 month" language yesterday.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Yep, I see the "have or have had" language today, but I did see the "12 month" language yesterday.
I see new offer terms on splash page (first link), but 12 month language on actual applications offer terms (second link)...I would pull the trigger but am waiting on consideration from chase and don't want to throw a new pull before they decide....if your on the fence, go for it NOW!!!
If I miss out on it my consolation is my wife got it one last time a few weeks ago.
This is another amex card that will soon disappear forever....maybe chase will get the next version and keep it separate like Marriott/Ritz.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 8:16 pm

Did you notice that the first link takes you to the splash page of the SPG personal card? On that page is a link "Are you a business owner, learn more". If you click that and go to the SPG business splash page, the 12 month language is still there. And it's on the application too.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 7:16 am
mia

Originally Posted by UserMark
Did you notice that the first link takes you to the splash page of the SPG personal card? On that page is a link "Are you a business owner, learn more". If you click that and go to the SPG business splash page, the 12 month language is still there. And it's on the application too.
Good catch! The problem is that the landing page URL does not change when switching between the personal and business cards.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 4:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
I still see the have had 12 month language on the biz app, so should be good to go? (also noticed it on blogger links). I was planning to give a 1-2 month cushion as my last time with this card was closed on 2/19/15, but obviously the recent news changes things..
Old Mar 2, 2016, 12:46 am
Suspended

anyone have a link to business gold rewards app that still has 12 month language?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 7:26 am
mia

I have re-written post 20 to better explain how to load the SPG Business application which still displays the more liberal "12 month" language.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by mia
I have re-written post 20 to better explain how to load the SPG Business application which still displays the more liberal "12 month" language.
Looks like with the 35,000 bonus points, you lose the 12 month bonus language now...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.