Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Once-in-a-lifetime bonus policy now applies to both personal & BUSINESS cards [USA].

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
For earlier discussion of the restriction's application to personal cards, see Put a fork in it 5.1.2014: One bonus per personal card per person "lifetime" [USA].

It is essential to read the terms of the specific offer, but in general:

This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
  • You can only earn one new account bonus for each card issued by American Express in the USA. We do not know precisely how far back American Express looks to see if you have previously held the same card, but there is anecdotal evidence that the Customer Service database looks back only seven years. This means that if you cancelled a card in 2007 or earlier, and have not held it since, you will probably qualify for a new account bonus in 2015.
  • Holding a related card does not disqualify earning a new account bonus. Examples: Green, Gold, and Platinum are each separate products. Delta Gold, Platinum and Reserve are each separate products. The Hilton credit card is a different product than Hilton Surpass.
  • Holding a Supplementary Card (authorized user) on someone else's account does not disqualify you from earning a new acount bonus if you open the same card type in your own name.
  • As of mid-February 2016, Amex appears to be adding the same restriction to its business card products.
  • If you receive a targeted offer, online or through the USPS, for a card which you have previously held you may, or may not, actually receive the bonus. Be certain to save a copy of the offer, and to read and save every screen which appears during the application process.
  • Upgrade offers are different from new account offers. You may be offered a bonus to upgrade (for example) a Gold Card to a Platinum Card, and you may be eligible for that bonus even if you previously held a Platinum card. It is still essential to read and save the terms of the offer.

If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer.
  • This language appeared in the Spring of 2013, a year before the once-in-a lifetime policy was announced. The key term is "may", which gives American Express discretion to award or withhold the bonus.
  • To reduce the risk that the automated system will deny a new account bonus, RIGHT click the application link and open the application in a Private or Incognito browser window. American Express will still know that you are a current cardholder, but the system will not flag your application.

Points will be credited to your Membership Rewards account within 6 - 8 weeks after the spend requirement has been reached.
  • In practice it is not possible to know when American Express's system will credit a bonus to your rewards account. It may happen immediately after you meet the target spend, or it may happen when the next statement (or the following statement) is generated, or it may take the full eight weeks.
Print Wikipost

Once-in-a-lifetime bonus policy now applies to both personal & BUSINESS cards [USA].

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2016, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by mia
This depends entirely on the terms of the offer. Does it say: This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product?
Does not state this - or I can not see it.
CSR point blank told me ineligible.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by roundtree
Make sure that you review the included "Additional Disclosures". I just received the 100K Biz Platinum offer and it reads:
2 Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product...

No such language. There seem to be a few such cases reported here. Not sure I trust Amex to come through given their other shenanigans. Still 75K...
Old Sep 15, 2016, 2:39 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sciconf
CSR point blank told me ineligible.
This is the safe course for the CSR, but we have many reports of targeted offers received in 2016 for cards previously held and bonus awarded again.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by SPLP007
I opened in July this year and still have open a platinum personal -- had the card a year ago and got e/m invite on May 26 applied July 18 got 50kbonus in August

NOW-received "new offer" same card no language on line invite on Aug 18 "and" snail mail invite also some time Aug --both have different invite# and same expire date of OCT 31

worried that if I open one card from new invites I may not get bonus because now have open the same card-- yet no language in either invite -do not want to pay fee and do spend and not get 50k

any thoughts or experience ?
BUMP
Old Sep 17, 2016, 8:08 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

They do seem to be more aggressively searching out business.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 10:38 am

I'm an unfortunate victim of the Platinum 100K clawback (still have won far more than lost in this game...).
So, if at some point in the future I apply for Platinum again, should I be eligible for the bonus?
I could see them claiming that "technically" I received a bonus before, even though they clawed it back.
Andy data points on such a scenario?
Old Sep 17, 2016, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AugustWest
I'm an unfortunate victim of the Platinum 100K clawback (still have won far more than lost in this game...).
So, if at some point in the future I apply for Platinum again, should I be eligible for the bonus?
I could see them claiming that "technically" I received a bonus before, even though they clawed it back.
Andy data points on such a scenario?
Whether you got the bonus or not is irrelevant. At Amex the limitation is not whether you got the bonus before, but whether you had the exact same card before. The language is:
This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
While this thread is titled once-in-a-lifetime, in a case where someone does not get a bonus at all the first time they have the card, then later reapplies for the card, it's zero-in-a-lifetime.

The only exception would be if you get a targeted offer which lacks any language excluding people who had the card before.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Whether you got the bonus or not is irrelevant. At Amex the limitation is not whether you got the bonus before, but whether you had the exact same card before. The language is:
While this thread is titled once-in-a-lifetime, in a case where someone does not get a bonus at all the first time they have the card, then later reapplies for the card, it's zero-in-a-lifetime.

The only exception would be if you get a targeted offer which lacks any language excluding people who had the card before.
Great. Now I love Amex even more
Old Sep 18, 2016, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great. Now I love Amex even more
Just to clarify, you're only ruled out on the same exact card. Not any other card that has "Platinum" in the name, just this one. So if this one was Amex personal Plat, you can still apply and qualify for signup bonuses for the Amex business Plat, the Mercedes Benz Amex Plat, etc (if you never had either of those before).

Amex doesn't keep good records of what bonus you got that far back. That's why they base it on whether you had the card before, because that they can look up (for 7 years back, at least).
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: Lotz
Just received a targeted Business Gold offer (75/5K) with no language about previous accounts/cards. I had this same product before (1+ year), got bonus and cancelled.

Is the once a lifetime rule automatic, or do they have to state it in the offer?
I got this same targeted offer with no lifetime rule on it, got the card, did the spend and AmEx absolutely would not give me the bonus after many calls, faxes, because I had had the card once before years ago. Sort of shady. But I wouldn't count on the bonus.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:08 am
mia

Originally Posted by tassojunior
I got this same targeted offer with no lifetime rule...
Email, postal or "found" online?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Just to clarify, you're only ruled out on the same exact card. Not any other card that has "Platinum" in the name, just this one. So if this one was Amex personal Plat, you can still apply and qualify for signup bonuses for the Amex business Plat, the Mercedes Benz Amex Plat, etc (if you never had either of those before).
Unless Amex decides that all cards containing "Platinum" are the same card/product. See that long thread re the 100k offer back in May.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 1:50 am

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Wow the AMEX rule is really stupid. In the past two years I've had two AMEX cards that I managed not to get the bonus (most recently I thought the spend was $1000 and it was $3000 oops!).

So AMEX really doesn't have a one bonus per lifetime rule, they have a one chance at a bonus per lifetime, and you lose that bonus-per-life whether you get it or not.

Why would they do it that way....do you think their system has no way of knowing if you previously received the bonus? That's the only thing I can think of, or is it that once you had the card, and canceled, you're now a churner?
Old Oct 6, 2016, 7:22 am

Programs: AA PLT the rest, Kettle Power
Prior charge card but no bonus

I'm looking for some feedback on something. Years ago, before I really knew what I was doing, I had gold business rewards card. At one point, there was a link online to upgrade the card to the platinum. I clicked on it out of curiosity and somehow ended up being upgraded without fully realizing it. Stupid I know. I cancelled it immediately upon receiving it.

Anyway, my question goes to the one time bonus thing - I'm now looking at the 100k MR bonus on the same amex plat business card and am wondering if I can apply and get the bonus?

Any ideas?
Thanks

I had a look to trying and find the appropriate thread, no luck, if there is one, please do merge.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:13 am
mia

Originally Posted by TGGDEL
Years ago,
How many years? Whether or not you earned a bonus is not relevant, but American Express only looks back about seven years to see if you have held the card previously. They also don't seem to be reliable tracking product changes. Did you cancel the Business Platinum card account or did you change it back to Gold?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.