Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019)

Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MaxVO
This thread is a continuation of: Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely

Caution: effective from 22 June 2019, gift card purchases from Delta do not get reimbursed.

Read this primer first
  • In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to <--(link dead) select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation. Try logging in to your AMEX account and selecting the airline. This link may work
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask especially about the fuzzier cases below because that will probably hasten closing of any loopholes.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year. Note: This is not my experience. I purchased Dec 31, 2016, posted Jan 1, 2017 and went against my 2017 credit. (TheMadBrewer)
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

additional collections/split tender

THIS IS A LOOPHOLE. BE DISCREET

Anything coded as an additional collection (aka add/collect or a/c), including difference in fare when changing flights, and accepting an FCM offer, also triggers the credit and will be reimbursed; this may (insufficient data) only happen if the additional amount collected is below ~$250 (regardless of card type, e.g. there have been reports of full $100 credit for Gold card on a/c over $100 and full $200 credit for Plat on a/c over $200 but less than $250)
  • Relevantly, split tender where you partially pay with a gift card, existing credit, VDB voucher etc. and partly charged to your card, are processed by DL as an add/collect and trigger the credit per above.
  • Thus if you anticipate actually buying, say, a $200 DL ticket, you could buy a single $50 gift card, then buy the ticket using $50 GC and $150 on your card (the $150 will be reimbursed)
  • Canceling a ticket within the 24-hour risk-free period generally results in funds being returned to where they came from (GC back to GC and CC back to CC). If you have no immediate travel plans but anticipate travel in the next year, consider buying a fully refundable ticket and then changing it later once you know your future travel dates. IF a lot of people suddenly start refunding tickets after getting the credit reimbursement this may hasten the demise of this particular loophole.
  • Caution when buying multiple tickets: for example if you buy two $125 tickets in one transaction (total $250) and use one $100 GC or even two $50 GCs, they will all be applied to the same ticket and you would see one additional collection for $25 on that ticket and a separate "normal" charge for $125 for the second ticket. In this scenario only $25 will be reimbursed (instead of the $150 you might be expecting)

other non Gift Card options
  • baggage and other service fees (same day change/standby, change fees, etc.)
  • taxes on award flights
  • in-flight purchases (EXCEPT wifi)
  • SkyClub access/guest fees (but NOT gift cards purchased at a SC, which are actually activated at a 3rd party web site)
  • mileage boosts (post 2499)
  • The $59 for Delta Skymiles Select is reimbursed (posts 2180, 2182)
  • seat assignment fees (may need to call in to have processed manually)

(DEAD) eGift Card (eCert) details
This Section is not applicable effective 2019/06/22!
  • Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) have been reimbursed in practice, even though technically they do not meet the criteria listed by Amex for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry; they'll post later as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts, but in some cases two one-ways may cost more than a single roundtrip so compare carefully to decide whether using more than 3 certs on a single trip is worthwhile.
  • If purchasing a ticket for more than 1 person, splitting the purchase into a separate transaction for each person would also allow the use of more than 3 certs on a single trip at (usually) no additional cost. However this could have an adverse effect on ability to upgrade, upgrade priority, and other elite benefits, and on the likelihood of being reaccommodated on the same flight in the event of a flight cancellation.
  • There is one recent REPORT of a telephone agent allowing more than three eCerts to be used when purchasing one ticket.
  • eCerts do not expire. Their T&Cs are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019)

Old Jan 1, 2017, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by wiivile
If anyone wants to try booking a Delta flight with two $50 eCerts and a credit card, then cancelling within 24 hours, and letting me know if the eCerts get refunded as one $100 eCert or back to the same $50 eCerts, I would be very grateful I really don't fly revenue fares on Delta enough to use a bunch of $50 eCerts- I would pick United instead for the TravelBank. (but prefer Delta to United if the eCerts can be combined using this method)
Any data point on this? Thanks.

Last edited by asdfghjk; Jan 1, 2017 at 7:46 pm
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:26 pm

DP: eCert Refunds

Originally Posted by wiivile
If anyone wants to try booking a Delta flight with two $50 eCerts and a credit card, then cancelling within 24 hours, and letting me know if the eCerts get refunded as one $100 eCert or back to the same $50 eCerts, I would be very grateful I really don't fly revenue fares on Delta enough to use a bunch of $50 eCerts- I would pick United instead for the TravelBank. (but prefer Delta to United if the eCerts can be combined using this method)
I have a DP on this from November 2016. I booked a flight using two $50 eCerts and a bit of cash then cancelled after a major schedule change. The telephone agent wasn't able to process the refund or give me refund details on the spot -- the cancellation request was passed along to Passenger Refunds. I was hoping for a single $100 eCert, but about a week later I was issued two new $50 eCerts. (The cash payment was credited back to my card two days after my phone call.)
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Using my $200 for another 2x TATL C+ "upgrades" - will report back with results. Don't anticipate issues since it worked on a TATL C+ upgrade without issue in 2016.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:44 pm

I just purchased 2 $50 egiftcard in one transaction. guess I won't receive the credit? How stupid I was
Old Jan 4, 2017, 2:01 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by arctann
Successfully changed my dad's airline from UA to DL using the online chat just now. Simple and quick. He got rejected trying to do that when calling in a few days back.

Just put in an order for 4x$50 eCerts. Will post back with results.
12/26: 4x$50 eCerts purchase posts
12/27: 4x$50 AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Still working in 2017. 4x$50 E-gift cards purchased in ONE transaction on DL's website on Jan 2nd. Credits reflected this morning on my online statement.

JAN3
AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement
-$50.00
AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement JAN3
-$50.00
-$50.00
-$50.00
DELTA AIR LINES - ATLANTA JAN2
DELTA AIR LINES - ATLANTA
$50.00
$50.00
$50.00
$50.00
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:46 am

Data Point from Dec., 2016: I booked a one-way flight using 3 $50 e-certs then cancelled online within 24 hours. I called an agent to inquire how I would be reimbursed(was hoping for one $150 e-cert), but he informed me that the 3 $50 e-certs would be returned and reactivated.

This was pretty disappointing because the reason I purchased the 3 e-certs in 2016 was with the intention of combining them into one. I may have to consider changing preferred airlines on AMEX this month to make this strategy work for another carrier. Any ideas?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:50 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk, and thank you for the excellent report.

Originally Posted by pobrien1902
...I may have to consider changing preferred airlines on AMEX this month to make this strategy work for another carrier. Any ideas?
I believe the United Airlines Gift Registry will allow you to use larger amounts when purchasing a single ticket, if that's what you are trying to accomplish. Discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-ua-only.html
Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
What happens for fees charged on 12/31 that post on 1/1?

I bought some meals on a flight on 12/31. The purchase took me over the fee credit amount for 2016, but I noticed that Amex reimbursed the entire amount. Even though the "pending" transaction was dated 12/31, it posted with a 1/1 date, and I suspected that Amex applied the 12/31 purchases to the 2017 credit.

So I contacted Amex via online chat and the agent said she fixed it so that the charges would apply towards the 2016 credit (and I'd be charged the extra amount that had been reimbursed but shouldn't have been).

(Note that this could actually work to your advantage: if you have a 12/31 flight and have maxed out the credit for the year, the in-flight charges will most likely apply to next year and will get automatically reimbursed.)
Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by snic
I bought some meals on a flight on 12/31. The purchase took me over the fee credit amount for 2016, but I noticed that Amex reimbursed the entire amount. Even though the "pending" transaction was dated 12/31, it posted with a 1/1 date, and I suspected that Amex applied the 12/31 purchases to the 2017 credit.

So I contacted Amex via online chat and the agent said she fixed it so that the charges would apply towards the 2016 credit (and I'd be charged the extra amount that had been reimbursed but shouldn't have been).

(Note that this could actually work to your advantage: if you have a 12/31 flight and have maxed out the credit for the year, the in-flight charges will most likely apply to next year and will get automatically reimbursed.)
I had this kind of thing hit too. I will call up as well. Thanks.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:25 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt Diamond Member, Club Calrson Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, BA
Anyone know if PGGM still works? I know that Delta Comfort went away but can we use a similar method and instead upgrade to the Premium Class?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Had a $150 change fee reimbursed by AMEX. Bought the ticket on Dec 30, but it posted on Jan 1, so credit was applied this year even though I had about $75 left from last year.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by livestrongforever
Anyone know if PGGM still works? I know that Delta Comfort went away but can we use a similar method and instead upgrade to the Premium Class?
What is PGGM? Since Delta Premium doesn't physically exist in service yet, I doubt anyone is going to have experience paying for it or upgrading to it.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:11 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee
What is PGGM?....
If I recall correctly it was the technique explained here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...line-gc-s.html
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:20 am

Another data point on award ticket fees.

Bought 3 Delta award tickets ($89.06 in taxes and fees each) on 1/1 (posted on 1/3).
I got two refunds for 89.06 and one for 21.88 on 1/4.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.