Go Back   > > >
    Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 17, 17, 9:21 pm   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: TheMadBrewer
Wiki Link
This thread is a continuation of: Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Read this primer first

• In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation.
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • Reimbursed incidental charges have included baggage and other service fees, award and change fees (e.g., standby, SDC), taxes, in-flight purchases (not WiFi), lounge access fees, EC upgrade (seat assignment) fees, priority boarding fees, Delta mileage booster fees, and DL eGift Cards/eCerts (see section below). Charges not posted by Delta (e.g., partners) are not eligible. Note that the Global Entry fee reimbursement is a separate benefit in addition to the $200 Delta incidentals reimbursement.The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year. Note: This is not my experience. I purchased Dec 31, 2016, posted Jan 1, 2017 and went against my 2017 credit. (TheMadBrewer)
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely. After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

eGift Card (eCert) details

• Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) have been reimbursed in practice, even though technically they do not meet the criteria listed by Amex for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry; they'll post later as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts, but in some cases two one-ways may cost more than a single roundtrip so compare carefully to decide whether using more than 3 certs on a single trip is worthwhile.
  • If purchasing a ticket for more than 1 person, splitting the purchase into a separate transaction for each person would also allow the use of more than 3 certs on a single trip at (usually) no additional cost. However this could have an adverse effect on ability to upgrade, upgrade priority, and other elite benefits, and on the likelihood of being reaccommodated on the same flight in the event of a flight cancellation.
  • eCerts do not expire. Their T&Cs are listed here.

Print Wikipost

Old Dec 22, 16, 6:06 pm   #211

Question Eligible for Amex airline credit with partner airline if on same itinerary ?

I have a round trip itinerary purchased from Delta's website, from JFK New York to OTP Bucharest and back.

I'll be paying for excess checked-in luggage both ways, so it's an opportunity to make use of the airline credits from 3 of my cards (Platinum, Business Platinum, PRG).

I chose Delta as my airline for all 3 cards.

When paying for excess luggage at JFK, obviously there is no issue. But on the way back, KLM or TAROM will be the originating airline. If I used any of those 3 cards to pay for excess luggage at the airport in Bucharest, would I be eligible for the credit?

I know that KLM or TAROM isn't Delta, but I purchased the whole itinerary initially from Delta's site.

Thanks!
s2kdriver80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 16, 7:46 pm   #212
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Plat, Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, NEXUS
The credits will only trigger for charges posted by your selected airline - in this case Delta.
tonei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 16, 7:53 pm   #213

Ahh thanks
s2kdriver80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 16, 5:16 pm   #214

Anyone know if I haven't used my airline credit for amex platinum yet do I still have time to switch my airline and get the $200 credit? I tried to use united mpx and gift registry in the last month but looks both failed and was planning on switching to delta and buying 4 $50 gift cards in separate purchases
Zach Resnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 16, 7:29 am   #215

Programs: DL GM, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
i was able to switch my airline from SW to DL by complaining to customer service desk
yupenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 16, 7:42 am   #216

Programs: BA
Is there still a limit of 3 eCerts per transaction? No way to combine them? If you book a flight with 3 eCerts, cancel within 24 hours, will they give you one $150 eCert back that you can use?
wiivile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 16, 8:36 am   #217
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; VS, HH & SPG Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiivile View Post
Is there still a limit of 3 eCerts per transaction?
Scroll back to December 21 for discussion of different rules which apply to telephone vs online transactions. Online limit is three per booking; telephone is three per ticket.
mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 16, 8:41 am   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Scroll back to December 21 for discussion of different rules which apply to telephone vs online transactions. Online limit is three per booking; telephone is three per ticket.
Ok, so beyond filing a complaint about them making it harder to redeem multiple small gift cards by refusing to combine them and imposing a limit on the number that can be redeemed, can they be combined by the above-mentioned method of booking a flight and then cancelling? Will they refund it as one larger cert? Or will they simply refund the original $50 eCerts?

Last edited by wiivile; Dec 24, 16 at 8:58 am
Old Dec 24, 16, 8:56 am   #219
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
Original Poster

Terms do not directly address your scenario:

Quote:
Where eGifts or Cards are redeemed for a ticket, but travel is not taken, the value of the redeemed ticket (after any applicable penalties) will be provided in accordance with Delta Air Lines’ standard policy regarding ticket refunds.
Elsewhere I see this FAQ, but it doesn't explain how 24 hour cancellations are actually processed:

Quote:
If my eCredit covers the cost of my ticket, why do I need to provide credit card information?

Credit card information is required for all flight purchases in order to be eligible for Risk Free Cancellation online.
Old Dec 24, 16, 9:04 am   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Terms do not directly address your scenario:

Elsewhere I see this FAQ, but it doesn't explain how 24 hour cancellations are actually processed:
If anyone wants to try booking a Delta flight with two $50 eCerts and a credit card, then cancelling within 24 hours, and letting me know if the eCerts get refunded as one $100 eCert or back to the same $50 eCerts, I would be very grateful I really don't fly revenue fares on Delta enough to use a bunch of $50 eCerts- I would pick United instead for the TravelBank. (but prefer Delta to United if the eCerts can be combined using this method)
Old Dec 25, 16, 12:47 am   #221

Programs: AA Gold
Successfully changed my dad's airline from UA to DL using the online chat just now. Simple and quick. He got rejected trying to do that when calling in a few days back.

Just put in an order for 4x$50 eCerts. Will post back with results.
arctann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 16, 11:05 am   #222

Data point - Amex Platinum

Worked for me - did a test transaction of $50 on the 27th and the credit posted the next day. Going to do my next 3 now.

amexmember12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 16, 7:39 pm   #223

Amex prg airline credit

Hi,

I purchased a one day pass for delta sky club which was $59 and got reimbursed. However, if I buy another one day pass, do I get to pay $59-$41=$18 or do I have to pay the full amount since it exceeds my remaining airline credit?
yoome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 16, 7:55 pm   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoome View Post
Hi,

I purchased a one day pass for delta sky club which was $59 and got reimbursed. However, if I buy another one day pass, do I get to pay $59-$41=$18 or do I have to pay the full amount since it exceeds my remaining airline credit?
Your remaining credit is $41.

After tomorrow you'll be back at $100 for another 12 months.
mhdena is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 16, 9:35 pm   #225
mia
Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoome View Post
... if I buy another one day pass, do I get to pay $59-$41=$18
If you buy another pass on 12.30.2016 or 12.31.2016 you will pay the full price and American Express will reimburse $41.

Last edited by mia; Jan 1, 17 at 8:43 pm