Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JamilD
This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

New as of Jun 30, 2016
AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral + earn 15K MR for each referral you make
(Note: from Mar 23 - Jun 29 the bonuses were 75K welcome and 25K referral points)

New as of March 23 2016
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 75K MR (via referral) after $5000 spending in 3 months vs. 40K non-referral + earn 25K MR for each referral you make
(Note: as of Jun 30, the Business Platinum is still at 75K welcome and 25K referral points).

New as of May 2016
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR
(Note: as of mid-May 2016, Gold will now earn 5K points for referring and increased from $500 to $1500 required spending. FYI: from Jan 11 to mid-May, the Gold card earned 0 referral points.)

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

AMEX SPG - $120/year, 20K SPG after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of July 2016
AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). The 50K/51K, extra 10K promo expired on April 01, 2016, but started up again July - Sep 30th, 2016.
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:40 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Ditto. Except in my case only two cards on same business.
Thx once again for the encouraging word!
Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
I have the Amex Platinum Charge Card(personal). Can I self-refer for the Amex Platinum Charge Small business? Am I allowed to hold both and still get the 75k and referral bonus?

Do they ask for proof of small business?
Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Enigma368
I have the Amex Platinum Charge Card(personal). Can I self-refer for the Amex Platinum Charge Small business? Am I allowed to hold both and still get the 75k and referral bonus?

Do they ask for proof of small business?
Yes
Personal Plat (you earn 15K referral bonus) -> Business Plat (75K welcome after $5K spend, $399 fee)

they don't ask, you can put your name as Business name even

^ this is for CANADA of course
Old Sep 8, 2016, 5:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Yes
Personal Plat (you earn 15K referral bonus) -> Business Plat (75K welcome after $5K spend, $399 fee)

they don't ask, you can put your name as Business name even

^ this is for CANADA of course
Thanks. Yes I live in Canada now(need to update my profile) and have the Canadian Plat Charge.

This seems like a sweet deal!

Does Amex Canada give pro rated refunds on annual fees if you cancel card during the year?
Old Sep 9, 2016, 11:50 am

So a few questions...

Is the AMEX Gold Personal still churnable? Haven't had one in about 10 months I think....

I have a Amex Business card (Sole Proprietor), am I able to make another one and get the points still? Or can I open another one in my name against another sole proprietor business and still get the points?

Thanks!
Old Sep 10, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Does Amex Canada give pro rated refunds on annual fees if you cancel card during the year?
In your first year, since you received the bonus points, answer is generally no. YMMV.

Otherwise annual fees will be refunded in full up to 3 months after anniversary, again YMMV.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by wallstguy
So a few questions...

Is the AMEX Gold Personal still churnable? Haven't had one in about 10 months I think....

I have a Amex Business card (Sole Proprietor), am I able to make another one and get the points still? Or can I open another one in my name against another sole proprietor business and still get the points?

Thanks!
I have my Gold Reward cancelled in Feb this year and re-applied last month. 25,000 points deposited to my account the next day after i spent $1500.
But YMMV
Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steveche
I have my Gold Reward cancelled in Feb this year and re-applied last month. 25,000 points deposited to my account the next day after i spent $1500.
But YMMV
Def YMMV...still waiting on personal bonus and business bonus after meeting spend a few weeks back.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
I've never churned the SPG Amex Biz before but I was going to do it in the next while via self-referral from my personal SPG Amex once I make room by closing an existing Amex CC... is it pretty straightforward like the Gold Biz or are there any wrinkles in the process to be aware of?
Old Sep 22, 2016, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by heraclitus
I've never churned the SPG Amex Biz before but I was going to do it in the next while via self-referral from my personal SPG Amex once I make room by closing an existing Amex CC... is it pretty straightforward like the Gold Biz or are there any wrinkles in the process to be aware of?
Pretty straightforward
but recently myself and some others have had issues with SPG referral points posting (10K referral)...I've waited 10 weeks since mid-July referral, NOTHING

So watch out for that, and keep in mind, if you do miss 10K, it'll be hard to argue for it if you did self-referral

so maybe find someone/spouse to refer you instead?
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Pretty straightforward
but recently myself and some others have had issues with SPG referral points posting (10K referral)...I've waited 10 weeks since mid-July referral, NOTHING

So watch out for that, and keep in mind, if you do miss 10K, it'll be hard to argue for it if you did self-referral

so maybe find someone/spouse to refer you instead?
Great idea, thanks for the tip... I'll be sure to get the Mrs. to refer me instead.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by steveche
But YMMV
I'm wondering if there's a trick to this (I was successful, too, several months back - despite holding this card twice before).

I'm thinking if you close your membership rewards account (so you get a new number) and then use a new email address in your application/online account, either or both may be all that is required for the sign-up bonus to be auto-deposited. Is this is line with everyone's experience that's churned the personal gold amex this year?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 9:03 am

Do we still get the sign-up bonus for SPG Amex Personal?

I can't see anything in their T&C that states the bonus is for first time cardholders. It's time for a churn. Can anyone confirm?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
I'm wondering if there's a trick to this (I was successful, too, several months back - despite holding this card twice before).

I'm thinking if you close your membership rewards account (so you get a new number) and then use a new email address in your application/online account, either or both may be all that is required for the sign-up bonus to be auto-deposited. Is this is line with everyone's experience that's churned the personal gold amex this year?
Not really. This is my fourth churning of the card using the same info in all applications. I also referred my wife a week later (also the 4th time) and got 5000 referral bonus and she also get her 25000 after meeting the spend. I don't know if it helps but I always pay my bill immediately on receipt of the electronic statement which is 2-3 weeks before due date.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:36 am

Has anyone cancelled an Amex card and, subsequent to the cancellation, processed a refund against that card? What did you do and what did Amex do?

My situation: I have the personal SPG that I used to purchase some refundable flights (flights are next March FWIW). This wasn't some shady manufactured spend, as I legitimately intended to use those tickets. Unfortunately, plans have changed and I might need to cancel those flights and get the refund. But, I also want to cancel my SPG card and avoid having a $7500 credit on it left in limbo.

I know there are a few dedicated threads on processing refunds against cancelled cards on this site...but wanted to know if there are any Amex Canada-specific experiences to share. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.