Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JamilD
This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

New as of Jun 30, 2016
AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral + earn 15K MR for each referral you make
(Note: from Mar 23 - Jun 29 the bonuses were 75K welcome and 25K referral points)

New as of March 23 2016
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 75K MR (via referral) after $5000 spending in 3 months vs. 40K non-referral + earn 25K MR for each referral you make
(Note: as of Jun 30, the Business Platinum is still at 75K welcome and 25K referral points).

New as of May 2016
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR
(Note: as of mid-May 2016, Gold will now earn 5K points for referring and increased from $500 to $1500 required spending. FYI: from Jan 11 to mid-May, the Gold card earned 0 referral points.)

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

AMEX SPG - $120/year, 20K SPG after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of July 2016
AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). The 50K/51K, extra 10K promo expired on April 01, 2016, but started up again July - Sep 30th, 2016.
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by swannybc
I sent a referral to my spouse for the Amex SPG card, which I have. He applied through the link and was approved. In the past I always received my referral bonus emediately after approval, but 3 weeks later still no bonus. I emailed Amex and was told to wait 8-10 weeks after approval to see if points arrive. This is bs! I have to wait for 2 and a half months just to see if there is something wrong? I'm pretty sure the bonus won't generate automatically. Have others had this problem and did you get it resolved?
Cheers,
M
SPG bonus and regular points are awarded by Amex upon each new statement. just wait for the next statement
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:27 pm

Amex SPG referral bonus

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
SPG bonus and regular points are awarded by Amex upon each new statement. just wait for the next statement
Thanks for your reply.
The referral application was approved August 5, over 2 weeks before the last statement was issued on August 20th. That would seem like plenty of time to appear with the last statement. As I said in my comment, in the past referral points appeared in my Amex account almost emmediately after the referral recipient was approved.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:31 pm

I figured they are killing the referral buying schemes. Other than friends and family who would be willing to wait ten weeks for a payout?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Anyone seeing delays in referrals on MR cards? And if so, does that put self-refer at risk? I'm thinking about a self-refer to MR gold, but am concerned about having to try and chase down points 8 weeks later...would they even give the points in that case?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by tylerc
Anyone seeing delays in referrals on MR cards? And if so, does that put self-refer at risk? I'm thinking about a self-refer to MR gold, but am concerned about having to try and chase down points 8 weeks later...would they even give the points in that case?
I have not read of a single report of anyone not receiving self-referral points.....just many reports of timeline as to when they are received.Sometimes next day,sometimes 6-8 weeks.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:50 pm

Amex SPG Referral

Thanks for the link Mia. Looks like I'm not alone at least. I've been churning Amex for a couple of years so can draw on quite a few referrals. I've always gotten my referral bonus emediately after approval (within a day or two) until this summer. I am waiting on the SPG referral but also on a Business Gold referral from last June. That Business Gold was a self referral so I can't really call them on that one. Amex definitely seems to be trying to stamp out the card churning while still pulling in new business. ie. Amex is intentionally trying to avoid paying out bonus' while still luring people into signing up and using their cards.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 6:10 am

I am waiting for AMEX too, it's frustrating

10K SPG referral (Biz to Personal SPG, not self-referral) - 2 statements and nothing
75K Plat welcome bonus too - week 11 already
Old Aug 27, 2016, 12:23 pm

Amex SPG referral points saga

Ok, just an update. After another couple of firm but polite emails to Amex I got some results. My 10k self-referral bonus from last June suddenly appeared in my Gold card account and the email reply from the Amex CSR said he had manually added the SPG referral bonus to my SPG account and it should appear with my 20k bonus on the next statement (I'll keep my fingers crossed). I guess persistence does pay off.
One other beef: Why does Aeroplan not include rewards transfers from Amex in their Status points program? It seems like the only points they include are points accumulated from swiping your Aeroplan card, which makes it almost impossible to reach even the lowest (Diamond) level.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 1:39 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
One other beef: Why does Aeroplan not include rewards transfers from Amex in their Status points program? It seems like the only points they include are points accumulated from swiping your Aeroplan card, which makes it almost impossible to reach even the lowest (Diamond) level.
Not sure why the Amex doesn't count towards distinction status but spending on the TD Aeroplan Visa does count.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
It seems like the only points they include are points accumulated from swiping your Aeroplan card, which makes it almost impossible to reach even the lowest (Diamond) level.
Diamond is highest level, Silver is lowest.

Of course, one could earn status the old fashioned way..flying
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by mapleg
Diamond is highest level, Silver is lowest.

Of course, one could earn status the old fashioned way..flying
Aeroplan status is entirely useless I find anyway, not sure why people even bother with it...
Old Aug 27, 2016, 8:25 pm

I just figured in the Amex website, it says of SPG personal: Add a Supplementary Card and the first year’s annual fee is on us,That’s a value of $50.

Can anyone verify if it is also FYF for existing card holder to add a supplementary card?
Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Aeroplan status is entirely useless I find anyway, not sure why people even bother with it...
The one year i did have it, the extra mile on Aeroplan e store was nice, but the best perk was to skip the call center line.

That's about it.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 5:43 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Smiley90

Could not agree more.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: AP, SPG, DL
New Business Gold Rewards card - Bonus Points on First Statement

I applied for a new Business Gold Rewards card in July through a referral link.
I thought the terms were spend $5000 in the first 3 months and receive 40,000 Member Reward Points.
I got my very first statement (August 21) I have $2686 worth of spending, which gave me 2686 points.
However they also awarded me 10,000 Welcome Bonus & 30,000 Bonus points, bringing my points total to 42,686.

My questions are:

1) Has anyone else received their bonus points on the first statement without reaching the spending requirements?

2) Will they claw back the bonus if I don't continue to spend the whole $5,000 in the first 3 months.

This is important for me to know, because quite frankly it is very difficult for me to reach that level of spending. Most of my large purchases are made at merchants that do not accept Amex. I was able to charge some furniture a family member bought (and will pay me back) on this first statement to get the $2686.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.