Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JamilD
This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

New as of Jun 30, 2016
AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral + earn 15K MR for each referral you make
(Note: from Mar 23 - Jun 29 the bonuses were 75K welcome and 25K referral points)

New as of March 23 2016
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 75K MR (via referral) after $5000 spending in 3 months vs. 40K non-referral + earn 25K MR for each referral you make
(Note: as of Jun 30, the Business Platinum is still at 75K welcome and 25K referral points).

New as of May 2016
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR
(Note: as of mid-May 2016, Gold will now earn 5K points for referring and increased from $500 to $1500 required spending. FYI: from Jan 11 to mid-May, the Gold card earned 0 referral points.)

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

AMEX SPG - $120/year, 20K SPG after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of July 2016
AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). The 50K/51K, extra 10K promo expired on April 01, 2016, but started up again July - Sep 30th, 2016.
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2016)

Old Jul 19, 2016, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Maybe as a true Corporate Business card, opened by your employer? Personally, I've only applied as a sole proprietor, so all have reported to both TU and EQ.

All of my Amex Biz products have reported with actual opening dates.

All of my Amex Personal products used to report with my "Member Since" year, but the month was the actual current month. Sadly, Amex-Canada patched this method of reporting during early 2015, and now all Personal cards report 'accurately', with the current year. It was nice while it lasted.
Thank you all. I thought I read somewhere in this forum that Biz Plat is not reported to CB. Obviously I must read it in US forum.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 11:43 pm

Programs: TK Gold, Alitalia Gold, AB Gold, MPC, SPG Gold, IHG, Marriott Silvr, BW Plat, AA, BA, JP
2nd time Platinum (personal MR) approved- (last card was cancelled more than 1 year back)- exceeded min spend (have spend more than 2k) last week..used $200 credit...No welcome bonus posted.......(also a referred card approved for a friend last week-no referral bonus posted)......what are my options.....have not contacted amex yet...should i just wait till 10 weeks.......also if No welcome bonus in 10 weeks...can i still cancel my card to get pro-rated AF back....??
Old Jul 21, 2016, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by sunnyzip
2nd time Platinum (personal MR) approved- (last card was cancelled more than 1 year back)- exceeded min spend (have spend more than 2k) last week..used $200 credit...No welcome bonus posted.......(also a referred card approved for a friend last week-no referral bonus posted)......what are my options.....have not contacted amex yet...should i just wait till 10 weeks.......also if No welcome bonus in 10 weeks...can i still cancel my card to get pro-rated AF back....??
You're not alone

I have 2 AMEX Plat crossed $1K in mid-June and no 75K welcome bonus either
I'm gonna wait 8-10 weeks before I call in, since that's what AMEX will say anyway
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:15 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Complete opposite experience to you guys.

I applied for a Plat in May and hit the min spend & more in mid June and received the full 75K right away. Last had the card in Nov 2014
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:23 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Posted back on page 74. Hit Plat 1k spend April 29, bonus posted July3
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:34 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator observation

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Posted back on page 74.
Page numbers depend on the member's individual settings. In my view this is page 1 of 30.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:47 am

I don't know where else to put this, but I have a question about the MBNA Alaska Airlines card. I currently hold one that I signed up for a few months ago, in addition to an MBNA Best Western card. Is it possible to hold 2 Best Western cards at once? I have heard recently that it is now.

If not, what about 2 Best Western cards? Possible?
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
You're not alone

I have 2 AMEX Plat crossed $1K in mid-June and no 75K welcome bonus either
I'm gonna wait 8-10 weeks before I call in, since that's what AMEX will say anyway
Are you a personal Platinum virgin? Perhaps they are enforcing the once in lifetime terms,forthe sign up points
Old Jul 21, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by leafs123
I don't know where else to put this, but I have a question about the MBNA Alaska Airlines card. I currently hold one that I signed up for a few months ago, in addition to an MBNA Best Western card. Is it possible to hold 2 Best Western cards at once? I have heard recently that it is now.

If not, what about 2 Best Western cards? Possible?
I currently have 2 AS cards and 2 BW cards. Word on the street is that MBNA is not letting people get a multiple AS cards now, but my wife just successfully signed up for her 2nd a month ago, so YMMV.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by heraclitus
I currently have 2 AS cards and 2 BW cards. Word on the street is that MBNA is not letting people get a multiple AS cards now, but my wife just successfully signed up for her 2nd a month ago, so YMMV.
Great thanks.

Next question:

So I already have business gold but I applied for business platinum, self referring from personal platinum. I called in today to check the status and they said the application was canceled because you can't have two business cards (gold and plat) for the same business.

Anyone else experience this? Do you need to pick a different business for the second card?
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by leafs123
Great thanks.

Next question:

So I already have business gold but I applied for business platinum, self referring from personal platinum. I called in today to check the status and they said the application was canceled because you can't have two business cards (gold and plat) for the same business.

Anyone else experience this? Do you need to pick a different business for the second card?
I once had something like this happen to me, though I believe I'm in the minority. Plenty of others have had no trouble getting two business cards with the same business name.

Ever since then, I always apply with a slightly different business name. Like including my middle initial, adding a "Inc" at the end of my name or something like that, just to be safe.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by flyer05
I once had something like this happen to me, though I believe I'm in the minority. Plenty of others have had no trouble getting two business cards with the same business name.

Ever since then, I always apply with a slightly different business name. Like including my middle initial, adding a "Inc" at the end of my name or something like that, just to be safe.
Thanks. Giving that a shot. Just applied again.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Originally Posted by heraclitus
I'm due for a 4th AS card app. Not sure what to do. Will cancel #2 and wait a week or so and go for #4. They have said no before only to send the card along with an apology
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
I'm due for a 4th AS card app. Not sure what to do. Will cancel #2 and wait a week or so and go for #4. They have said no before only to send the card along with an apology
Intrigued to see how this goes. Two weeks ago when applying for my 2nd BW card (5th active card overall with MBNA) the agent said "giving you all these points doesn't really make sense from a business standpoint, so while I'll approve this one, I can't guarantee you'll get the points from future cards". Always a chatty breed, MBNA agents. So while I'm also due for a 4th AS card I think I'll cancel at least two of my current three before hitting it again.

And yes I too received the "we are sorry about our original decision" letter. Always a laugh!
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Yesterday I self referred from a Biz Gold to a Biz Platinum. I have never had an Amex Platinum, either personal or Biz. I just re-read the terms and it says that the welcome bonus is not available to current Amex Biz card holders. Does anyone have experience here? Am i disqualified from the Platinum bonus because I presently hold (and self-referred from) the Gold Biz? I certainly am hoping to get the 75K signup bonus, not just the 25k Gold Biz referral bonus.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.