Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JamilD
This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

New as of Jun 30, 2016
AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral + earn 15K MR for each referral you make
(Note: from Mar 23 - Jun 29 the bonuses were 75K welcome and 25K referral points)

New as of March 23 2016
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 75K MR (via referral) after $5000 spending in 3 months vs. 40K non-referral + earn 25K MR for each referral you make
(Note: as of Jun 30, the Business Platinum is still at 75K welcome and 25K referral points).

New as of May 2016
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR
(Note: as of mid-May 2016, Gold will now earn 5K points for referring and increased from $500 to $1500 required spending. FYI: from Jan 11 to mid-May, the Gold card earned 0 referral points.)

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

AMEX SPG - $120/year, 20K SPG after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of July 2016
AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). The 50K/51K, extra 10K promo expired on April 01, 2016, but started up again July - Sep 30th, 2016.
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2016)

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2016, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by AwardBee
Just to be clear, if I'm wanting to refer a friend Personal Plat -> Personal Gold and get 25K referral bonus, do I log in, refer my friend to a Plat card, but when they apply, instead of filling out the application for the Plat card, should they click on the Gold card under "other cards in this referral program" section? And then fill out the application for the Gold instead.
No,that's not correct.I can provide your friend with a referral link that's correct though

Kidding! Yup,you're correct.....but at least you have another option!
Old May 27, 2016, 8:08 pm

Just to be clear, if I'm wanting to refer a friend Personal Plat -> Personal Gold and get 25K referral bonus, do I log in, refer my friend to a Plat card, but when they apply, instead of filling out the application for the Plat card, should they click on the Gold card under "other cards in this referral program" section? And then fill out the application for the Gold instead.
Correct
Old May 27, 2016, 9:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
Since once wasn't enough, Correct. (third)
Old May 27, 2016, 11:17 pm

Programs: TK Gold, Alitalia Gold, AB Gold, MPC, SPG Gold, IHG, Marriott Silvr, BW Plat, AA, BA, JP
updated wiki to show $1500 spend requirement for Amex gold........!!
Question- I applied thru GCR on May 24 (it still had $500 min spend)...got message that will receive the card in 10 days (so assume approved instantly on May 24), but got email yesterday fro Amex saying I have been approved........what wud be my min spend requirement...??
Old May 28, 2016, 7:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Honestly i dont think anyone has a concrete answer right now (seen this question asked repeatedly).

I imagine it likely depends on what it was at the time you applied, and is stored internally in a database field, so it should still be $500, but the possibility certainly exists of it being $1500. If it were me I would just spend $1500 to be safe.
Old May 29, 2016, 8:23 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, AC SE
Looks like referral train for the plat cards is coming to an end. New language on referral page now has this line in it

To be eligible for this referral bonus, your friend must apply for the Card by June 29th 2016. We can still accept applications after this date but you may or may not be eligible for a bonus. See Referral Program Terms for details.
Old May 29, 2016, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by dafonz
Looks like referral train for the plat cards is coming to an end. New language on referral page now has this line in it
Likely to be changes,rather than an end.
Old May 30, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, AC SE
Originally Posted by jubberly
Likely to be changes,rather than an end.
likely back to 15k or 10k with 60k signup as per before.
Old May 30, 2016, 9:07 am

If the trigger for Gold signup bonus is a spend of $1,500 in 3 months, that's a bit more challenging for those who self refer multiple cards.

Even more difficult as more and more places (gas & groceries) no longer take Amex.
Old May 30, 2016, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Toddcan
If the trigger for Gold signup bonus is a spend of $1,500 in 3 months, that's a bit more challenging for those who self refer multiple cards.

Even more difficult as more and more places (gas & groceries) no longer take Amex.
never noticed this, care to cite any sources?
Old May 30, 2016, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
never noticed this, care to cite any sources?
Personal experience. Costco, Gales Gas Bars, Real Canadian Superstores, Loblaws. There are several places I used to pull out the Amex for that no longer take it.

Last edited by Toddcan; May 30, 2016 at 1:30 pm
Old May 30, 2016, 2:07 pm

Personal experience. Costco, Gales Gas Bars, Real Canadian Superstores, Loblaws. There are several places I used to pull out the Amex for that no longer take it.
As far as I can recall, Loblaws/Superstore never accepted Amex. The only big loss in the Amex world in the past couple of years is Costco - and they don't take Visa either, so meh. I still find Amex is only not accepted in smaller stores. Thank goodness Shoppers still accepts Amex! All gas stations in BC accept Amex.
Old May 30, 2016, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by pokee
As far as I can recall, Loblaws/Superstore never accepted Amex. The only big loss in the Amex world in the past couple of years is Costco - and they don't take Visa either, so meh. I still find Amex is only not accepted in smaller stores. Thank goodness Shoppers still accepts Amex! All gas stations in BC accept Amex.
Yeah Costco is really the only thing. Shell/Husky/Esso/PetroCanada/whatevergasststation and saveon/safeway all accept amex and I dont see them dropping it anytime soon.
Old May 31, 2016, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by pokee
When I was churning Amex cards a while back, Amex was accepted at Superstore. But, I've found new stores which take it - for when I am churning.
Old May 31, 2016, 9:51 am
alc

When I was churning Amex cards a while back, Amex was accepted at Superstore. But, I've found new stores which take it - for when I am churning.
Just wondering how long ago was this as I had been going to Superstore since 2005 and they haven't been accepting AMEX. Been looking for workaround for years and end up just sign-up with PC MC instead.. with PC WE MC now, am getting 3% back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.