Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Has anyone actually received an "Invite" to the Centurion program in 2016?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone actually received an "Invite" to the Centurion program in 2016?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2016, 6:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by wcheung
First off, I don't work for AMEX but I am a US Centurion member. AMEX Centurion is an excellent product, with many services available and for those who travel extensively, it's definitely worth the membership fees. If you take advantage of their companion ticket once a year, it's already more than $2,500 in savings. In more than a few airports, the Centurion folks will greet you when the plane door opens (e.g. Heathrow), and take you through customs directly on fast trak lanes in a golf cart, free of charge. Exclusive events to Wimbledon and Monaco Grand Prix with private social cocktails, which we enjoy tremendously. Some years Centurion organize events with Porsche so we can drive the wonderful cars in Finland in the snow, all part of the exclusive membership benefits. Centurion is a different lifestyle and Platinum does not come close.

IMHO, Centurion wants customers who can showcase their cards, and be proud of an elite group. I saw many comments on this site that some strategy would be complaining or threatening to cancel membership. If you were the person reviewing the profiles, would you grant them membership? Do you want these members to showcase your Centurion card? Many Centurion members are business people trying to close their next $10 or $50 million deals. If you are "concerned" about the $7,500 initiation fee and the $2,500 annual fee, why should AMEX even look at your profile?

My two cents!
There's quite a lot of nonsense in here. The companion ticket offer is available on many cards, and usable only on full-fare tickets. I've never seen or heard of the golf cart thing you describe at Heathrow and I travel often with several Centurion cardholders. The lifestyle things might appeal to some, but not a reason to get a particular credit card for most people.

In my personal experience, the Centurion card holders are indeed the ones closing the $10-50m deals, not the $3-10bn deals. The former are 'small-fry'.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by LondonElite
There's quite a lot of nonsense in here. The companion ticket offer is available on many cards, and usable only on full-fare tickets. I've never seen or heard of the golf cart thing you describe at Heathrow and I travel often with several Centurion cardholders.
True. I've done the Centurion airport assist at LHR and posted a thread about it somewhere here. The "golf cart" is not included for free. You can reserve it for a fee. But the human assist is complimentary and ended up being a help for me that one time as I had a luggage issue.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsk1973
I never said anything about it being $1,000 or $5,000 per month.
Sorry, fixed the typo. I meant per year. It used to be $1000 for charter members, but a few years back it switched to the standard $2500.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jsk1973
I don't have a horse in this race, but you spent $7,500 the first year and $5,000 per year thereafter just to have a specific credit card, but you book coach flights?
$5,000 per year to MAYBE get upgraded on a 1 hour flight sounds like a waste
Old Feb 14, 2016, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Surftel
$5,000 per year to MAYBE get upgraded on a 1 hour flight sounds like a waste
Again, it's $2500 per year. And DL Platinum is down low on the list of great benefits, because you are right that I don't get upgraded on every flight (although I do get 9X$'s in miles). Hertz Platinum and Hilton Diamond are my top two Centurion travel benefits and I'm 100% upgraded with those two. But we all value the card in different ways.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:16 am

2015 Amex Spend: 1.4M

Already over 200k this year.

Not a peep from anyone, also talked to centurion services earlier last year and got the same "I will notate the account".

I am mainly looking for enhanced CSR benefits since some of my admin staff deals with AMEX often - and normal CSR is a pain. Delta status is a distant second, but nice.

If I don't hear anything this year my alternative may be AMEX Platinum Corporate to get the services I need.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: US AMEX Centurion, JPM Palladium, UA Global Services, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
There's quite a lot of nonsense in here. The companion ticket offer is available on many cards, and usable only on full-fare tickets. I've never seen or heard of the golf cart thing you describe at Heathrow and I travel often with several Centurion cardholders. The lifestyle things might appeal to some, but not a reason to get a particular credit card for most people.

In my personal experience, the Centurion card holders are indeed the ones closing the $10-50m deals, not the $3-10bn deals. The former are 'small-fry'.
Interesting some folks get offended when they have no first hand experience with Centurion and are not even Centurion members. I was just sharing my experience as a Centurion member and requested a golf cart which they provided for free. And yes they don't do that all the time nor advertised. But that is not nonsense nor should anyone get offended.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:43 pm

If you use Amex Centurion travel they pay the service of third party for meet and greet for "free" and sometimes customs expedite depending on country. You can hire the same company. It is discussed on another flyertalk thread. Again anyone can hire the same company. Or if you give your travel agent enough business they could pay for it just like amex pays.

Originally Posted by stimpy
True. I've done the Centurion airport assist at LHR and posted a thread about it somewhere here. The "golf cart" is not included for free. You can reserve it for a fee. But the human assist is complimentary and ended up being a help for me that one time as I had a luggage issue.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Again, it's $2500 per year. And DL Platinum is down low on the list of great benefits, because you are right that I don't get upgraded on every flight (although I do get 9X$'s in miles). Hertz Platinum and Hilton Diamond are my top two Centurion travel benefits and I'm 100% upgraded with those two. But we all value the card in different ways.
Still seems high.

I assume you receive the card because you spend 250,000 per year. You can get Diamond at Hilton by spending 40k on their American Express card.

It seems that many of the benefits are available from other cards without a $7,500 upfront payment and $2,500 fee
Old Feb 14, 2016, 5:21 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold

I assume you receive the card because you spend 250,000 per year.
Substantial spending is necessary, but not sufficient, to elicit an invitation. There is no spend requirement to maintain the Centurion card, just pay the annual fee.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I assume you receive the card because you spend 250,000 per year. You can get Diamond at Hilton by spending 40k on their American Express card.

It seems that many of the benefits are available from other cards without a $7,500 upfront payment and $2,500 fee
The $250,000 spend to initially get the card is a one time thing. Initiation fees are a one time thing. Once you have the Centurion card you get to keep it no matter how much you charge. And you get the Hilton Diamond card, and all the other benefits, no matter how much you charge.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by emcnj
I am mainly looking for enhanced CSR benefits since some of my admin staff deals with AMEX often - and normal CSR is a pain.
If you weren't already aware, once you have a Centurion card, you deal with Centurion customer service for all of your Amex cards. So for example, if you also have a SPG Amex, when you call the regular SPG Amex customer service number on the back of the card and enter your SPG Amex account number, your call doesn't go to the regular SPG Amex CSRs but instead goes to Centurion customer service. They don't know all of the details of the co-branded cards like the CSR's that handle those calls all day, but they do have ready access to reference materials, and in general, are better equipped to deal with unusual situations on any Amex product.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Came across this:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/3307...rate-Centurion

Looks like at least Corporate Centurion is ready to invite people...... no idea what criteria there are.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 7:46 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
People keep saying the benefits are always being diluted, but Amex added a very significant new benefits in 2014 in Hertz Platinum. It's been worth the world to me. I have BA Gold so the US/AA loss is no big deal for me. I've started flying DL recently and got a 1st class upgrade thanks to Centurion, plus a lot of extra miles.

And as I always say, the number one benefit is great customer service from Amex themselves.
Me too - the new Hertz is one of the cooler benefits they have added, hope it sticks around.

I also noticed that you get to bring guests for free on your priority pass card with a Cent account too instead of the $27 guest fee or whatever it was before.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by YClass
Came across this:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/3307...rate-Centurion

Looks like at least Corporate Centurion is ready to invite people...... no idea what criteria there are.
That box looks much more upscale than the one I just received this week for the Business Centurion version. I received the invitation in 2016.

As for previous spend:
2014 Plum $1.9M, Platinum $225k
2015 Plum $7.5M, Platinum $450k

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.