Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Has anyone actually received an "Invite" to the Centurion program in 2016?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone actually received an "Invite" to the Centurion program in 2016?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2016, 10:15 pm

You are off base on so many points for Amex USA I do not know where to begin. But then again I am not Amex so you could argue I am wrong.

Originally Posted by emcnj
This is pretty much the bottom line. I was recently appointed a local AMEX rep to handle all of my accounts for me based on spend. During that meeting, he proceeded to show me intricate charts for my year over year spending and how that may or may not reduce your monthly limits.

Bottom line (and this is right from AMEX mouth): pay your balances as often as possible. I make payments once a week on all my cards to decrease my overall revolving balance with them. This helps immensely with your monthly spending capacity.

Additionally, I asked my newly appointed rep about the Centurion, and he is going to escalate a case to the Centurion department for me - but can't make any guarantees.

Some Points: Annual spend must be over 5M, That spend is closely looked at (luxury travel/goods, charities/donations, other high end spending), and they may still deny you after all that.

And like others mentioned...good luck finding another card issuer who is going to give you multiple hundreds of thousands in revolving credit each month.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 5:17 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Sounds like Biz Cent requirements.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by emcnj
This is pretty much the bottom line. I was recently appointed a local AMEX rep to handle all of my accounts for me based on spend. During that meeting, he proceeded to show me intricate charts for my year over year spending and how that may or may not reduce your monthly limits.

Bottom line (and this is right from AMEX mouth): pay your balances as often as possible. I make payments once a week on all my cards to decrease my overall revolving balance with them. This helps immensely with your monthly spending capacity.

Additionally, I asked my newly appointed rep about the Centurion, and he is going to escalate a case to the Centurion department for me - but can't make any guarantees.

Some Points: Annual spend must be over 5M, That spend is closely looked at (luxury travel/goods, charities/donations, other high end spending), and they may still deny you after all that.

And like others mentioned...good luck finding another card issuer who is going to give you multiple hundreds of thousands in revolving credit each month.
They don't require anywhere near 5mm, it's all category driven because anyone with a family foundation can run 5 million through their plat giving to charity or travel bookings for everyone they know, they want consistency. As for card issuers, literally any big healthy (or even remotely healthy) bank will happily issue someone a line of credit for hundreds of thousands if not millions if they can substantiate they have the ability to pay their bills in an orderly fashion. Amex is no different then any other card issuer as I see it now, even banks that are teetering very very close to critical capitol levels (read as Deutsche) are still happily issuing massive credit lines if the income backs it up...
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:33 am

Sorry, I should clarify:

I was told by AMEX directly (my rep) that in order to make a recommendation to the Centurion Team directly (AMEX to AMEX handshake), the minimum annual spends should be 5M. (i.e - If I have not been invited, but been assigned an account manager, they would not even inquire with the centurion team directly about expediting or approving an application unless annual spends were 5M)

Whether they qualify you indirectly based on lower spends would be unrelated to what I was speaking of.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:08 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, Amex Platinum, Citi TY Premier, Expedia Elite +, BA Silver
Funny to see people with $2m spend not getting an invitation. I can guarantee if that spend was on lifestyle, hotels, first class airfare/jet charter etc You would get one. I honestly think the reason they invited me with 200-400k spend is because I used my Plat card (still use Cent in same way) for everything. My daily Starbucks gets swiped, Wholefoods, taxi rides/uber, subway fair. But also the Hermes bags, 5 star hotels etc.

I think Amex wants to be able to assess someones entire spending pattern before offering the Cent. If you are booking 50 first class tickets all with different passenger names, that is just not going to work. They are going to flag it as a business expenses. Their computers have gotten too smart to be fooled by $50k of paper for the photocopier machine at your office disguised as personal lunches.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by jerome88
Funny to see people with $2m spend not getting an invitation. I can guarantee if that spend was on lifestyle, hotels, first class airfare/jet charter etc You would get one. I honestly think the reason they invited me with 200-400k spend is because I used my Plat card (still use Cent in same way) for everything. My daily Starbucks gets swiped, Wholefoods, taxi rides/uber, subway fair. But also the Hermes bags, 5 star hotels etc.

I think Amex wants to be able to assess someones entire spending pattern before offering the Cent. If you are booking 50 first class tickets all with different passenger names, that is just not going to work. They are going to flag it as a business expenses. Their computers have gotten too smart to be fooled by $50k of paper for the photocopier machine at your office disguised as personal lunches.
I think it's getting less what you're spending on and more just simply playing to egos, they want to extract maximum value. Go to Cipriani on a friday odds are every other person has a cent, it's pretty well saturated in the big american and euro markets right now. As for Hermes and hotels I'm not sure it really matters all that much because say you're buying Birkins or Kellys, you can save for a few a year on a net $1mm salary it doesn't really take a drastically high income to afford them or a stay at the Four Seasons. I think they should give it to the people that run plenty of charges through it simply so they can eat the interchange fees as Amex is badly starved right now in relation to where they were even 2 years ago....
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:11 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by dlesin
... Amex is badly starved right now in relation to where they were even 2 years ago....
I don't see this. Quarter ending 6.30.2016 American Express reported $185 billion billed sales in USA. Same quarter in 2014 billed USA sales were $173 billion.

http://ir.americanexpress.com/Earnings-and-Events
Old Sep 26, 2016, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by mia
I don't see this. Quarter ending 6.30.2016 American Express reported $185 billion billed sales in USA. Same quarter in 2014 billed USA sales were $173 billion.

http://ir.americanexpress.com/Earnings-and-Events
Billed sales are increasing but if you look at market saturation and expansion in relation to Chase for example I'm fairly sure that the growth is much more pronounced seeing as from what I remember from Q2 they had reported 13% growth in billed sales. I suppose it's relative but Amex has lost a certain shine it used to have as well.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 4:26 pm
JD2

Programs: AMEX Plat, Qantas WP
Centurion Invite Sept 16

Hi all, Im a first time poster.
I would like to hear your thoughts after reading your Amex Centruion posts.
I have been an Australia AMEX Plat member for little over a year. I put on average 10k-15k though the card. This is not a business card but a personal card which like most of you, use to get the best points return.
The other week I received a black box which contained an invite to join the Centruion program. Now from what Im reading Im thinking AMEX have messed up. I do not earn $1.5m and I do not hold $16m of assets. I am in the $200k earning bracket. I have a good credit score of high 700's with not a single default or late payment to my name.
So my question. Is the invite a sure thing if I accept? Or will I be declined?

P

Last edited by JD2; Oct 7, 2016 at 5:10 pm
Old Oct 7, 2016, 4:30 pm
mia

Originally Posted by JD2
... I received a black box which contained an invite to join the Centurion program.
In which country? The criteria vary and the numbers that you see mentioned in this thread are primarily for the USA, and include an element of speculation.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 5:10 pm
JD2

Australia
Old Oct 7, 2016, 5:47 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by JD2
I am in the $200k earning bracket. I have a good credit score of high 700's with not a single default or late payment to my name.
So my question. Is the invite a sure thing if I accept? Or will I be declined?

P
Welcome to FT!

My question is do you really want to pay $5K for initiation and $2.5K annually? That is a big chuck of your earnings bracket....
Old Oct 7, 2016, 6:18 pm
mia

Originally Posted by JD2
Australia
Thank you for the clarification. I would not assume that American Express made an error. If the card would be good value, accept the invitation and see.

As a matter of interest is there an initiation fee, and what is the annual fee now?

This thread is dated, but mentions the annual fee at A$4300 in 2009: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Oct 7, 2016, 8:05 pm
JD2

Hi,

The letter said. $5000 joining fee ( which would be waived) plus $5000 annual cost.
So total would be $5000 AUD. Considering how frequent myself and my family travel ( domestic and international) the travel insurance, airline perks + concierge would be used a lot.

Fingers crossed
Old Oct 7, 2016, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by JD2
I would like to hear your thoughts after reading your Amex Centruion posts.
I have been an Australia AMEX Plat member for little over a year. I put on average 10k-15k though the card. This is not a business card but a personal card which like most of you, use to get the best points return.
The other week I received a black box which contained an invite to join the Centruion program. Now from what Im reading Im thinking AMEX have messed up. I do not earn $1.5m and I do not hold $16m of assets. I am in the $200k earning bracket. I have a good credit score of high 700's with not a single default or late payment to my name.
It's likely you would be accepted if they invited you. As mia said, the regs are different in each country. And those numbers that some are throwing around are nonsense. I'm sure that very few of the Centurion holders here have $16m in assets. I certainly don't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.