Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Demise of the American Express Card?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
In any event, if I am on Flyertalk I travel, and if I travel I would rather have 1.5 Membership Rewards points on general spending than 2% cash, unless I am primarily interested in domestic USA economy class travel. 2% cashback is a far simpler way for the infrequent travel, especially with children, to reduce seasonal travel expenses.
How about 2 MR points vs. 3.5% cash back?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:10 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
How about 2 MR points vs. 3.5% cash back?
In which spending category?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
In which spending category?
Groceries.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:32 am
mia

I would rather have 5 Ultimate Rewards points or 5 ThankYou points than either of those choices. I earn that amount because we shop primarily at Whole Foods Market, and their gift cards are sold at Staples and at Amazon.

If I were to shop primarily at another supermarket, or if I didn't want to go to the trouble of buying giftcards, I would choose 4.5 Membership Rewards points. However, I think that josephstern was referring to general spending rather than a promotional category such as supermarkets, gasoline or travel.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right - I'm talking about general spending, and to some extent, MSing.

I'm not talking about signup bonuses or promotions. Of course I'll keep signing up for new cards for signup promos and I'll use my Barclays Aviator every time they give me another special offer.

And for special categories, like when I actually pay for a hotel, I'll likely use my Prestige.

But for regular, unbonused spending, I'm going all CB.

Part of my reasoning is, I have too many points. I travel a bunch, but the points are just devaluing sitting there. Cash? You can argue that it devalues these days, but overall, it's an upward trend.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:52 am
Formerly known as jlars77

Other than the lounge initiative--which is rather bold--it just seems AMEX is much more reactive than proactive to changes in the market. The fact they send out multiple mailers to highlight card benefits leads me to believe they are out of touch with much of their clientele.

I agree some short term easy fixes would be a relaxing of the airline reimbursement nonsense and allowing bonus categories on overseas purchases. Long term AMEX is going to have to put some hard work into creating a better value proposition for some of its cards and MR in general.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 2:10 pm

No love for the ED and EDP cards? If I weren't in the middle of a phase of new cards and min spend requirements I would be figuring out a way to set up enough swipes/month to get the increased bonus, racking up MR points that way.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 3:49 pm
mia

American Express also issues a free card which earns a 30% bonus on all spending, with no need to make a specific number of transactions. There was great angst when Chase eliminated the underwhelming 7% bonus on Sapphire Preferred, and this is doesn't generate any discussion?

Last edited by mia; Nov 19, 2015 at 3:56 pm
Old Nov 19, 2015, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by josephstern
The other problem with Amex on the forex front is that there hasn't been a big demand overseas for vendors to accept Amex. Between the forex fees for Americans and the fact that the company has the word "American" in its title (BankAmericard wisely renewed its image on that issue), it's just not a worldwide contender.

I haven't seen the TV ads, but that sounds pretty pathetic - like the prescription drug ads with their lists of caveats.

On the other hand, if the LAX Centurion lounge really happens and it's decent, that could keep the Platinum in my travel bag (but still not my wallet - not sure if they'd care though).
Having "American" in the name isn't a problem on its own. The problem is that there's still a mistaken impression among a lot of people outside the US that AmEx isn't accepted anywhere, even if that's not the case. Combine that with the impression among merchants that AmEx merchant fees are much higher than Visa/MC (despite some Visa/MC cards having fees nearly as large as AmEx) and its use gets discouraged abroad. Travel programs are likely abandoning AmEx so that they can get more spend on their cards as a result.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: Citi TY, Amex MR, Chase UR, Choice CP, Marriott MR, AGR, RapidRewards
Originally Posted by mia
American Express also issues a free card which earns a 30% bonus on all spending, with no need to make a specific number of transactions. There was great angst when Chase eliminated the underwhelming 7% bonus on Sapphire Preferred, and this is doesn't generate any discussion?
I have been eyeing this card for the past year. I find it especially appealing because it goes hand in hand with my fee free EveryDay. The card did blip on the bloggers radar because of the extra 10K bonus back in October, but not much since. A year ago they're saying the card isn't worth the credit pull, but now, hey! gotta get commissions.

At 1.3 points for everything it's a super solid card, but with no categories it isn't sexy at all. I want to get this card, but I'm still leaning towards the Ink Cash (UR w/ CSP). If Blue for Business had the same 5/3/1 bonus structure as the SimplyCash I believe it would be greatly more popular even though that doesn't come anywhere near 30%. THIRTY PERCENT! No minimum transactions either. Also, if they did the bonus quarterly instead of annually it would feel more tangible. Or do it monthly like the ED/EDP cards = instant gratification.

It all comes down to transfer partners. Amex keeps losing them. For me personally UR has greater partners than MR.

@henrythefourth
Old Nov 19, 2015, 5:40 pm
Suspended

I have a card that earns a 75% bonus on all spending.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
Thanks for posting. I might downgrade my SPG Biz card so maybe I can sneak in 1 more SPG Biz bonus.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mia
Which one is this?
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:27 am
mia

Originally Posted by mhdena
Which one is this?
Blue for Business. Click the word this in my original post to read the previous thread.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by mia
With the Sapphire Preferred, that 7% bonus translated into 14% or 21% with the card's numerous 2x and occasional 1x category. The Blue for Business, on the other hand, has no 2x categories?

The Everyday/Everyday Preferred is much more analogous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.