Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Only 3 Amex card applications allowed in 90 days? [USA]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Only 3 Amex card applications allowed in 90 days? [USA]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2016, 6:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ecgz88
Mine:
02/18 Hilton approved
03/03 SPG personnel approved
04/26 Delta gold, declined, too many applications
05/29 Delta Platinum approved.

I do want to apply Delta Gold 50K offer Before July 6th, any suggestions?
Keep in mind that Amex will only give you 4 credit cards (as opposed to limitless charge cards). As for dates, we are 90+ days past the 3/3 app so I think you're ok.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 6:31 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Keep in mind that Amex will only give you 4 credit cards....
...or 5...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ard-limit.html
Old Aug 28, 2016, 6:53 pm

Maximum # Amex Cards in Set time??

I have been approved for 4 amex cards in the last 3 months. Applied tonight for Amex Hilton HHonors card and was denied for the following reason...this is the first Amex card I have ever been denied for. 6 figure income, house paid off, 810 FICO on amex

Hilton Surpass, personal platinum, MB platinum, and delta biz platinum all approved since May 30

Is there a maximum number of amex cards that they will approve in a set time frame?

Thank you for applying for the Hilton HHonorsTM Card from American Express. We value your Membership and appreciate your interest in another American Express Card. We regret we are unable to approve this request.

Â

The reason for our decision is that you have reached the maximum number and type of Cards that we will approve within the period of a few months
Old Aug 28, 2016, 7:20 pm

more info if it matters

current amex cards

Personal Platinum
MB Platinum
Delta Biz Platinum
PRG
Hilton Surpass
SPG personal
SPG biz
Old Aug 28, 2016, 8:58 pm

You're only allowed to have 4 Amex credit cards at a time. You can have as many charge cards as you can get your hands on, but only 4 credit cards at once.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 9:56 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Coldmode
You're only allowed to have 4 Amex credit cards at a time.
This was once true, but in the last year a few people did get more than 4, and since March of this year several others as well.

Even his denial didn't say he had the limit only that to short of time was involved.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-days-usa.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-limit-23.html

Last edited by mhdena; Aug 28, 2016 at 10:15 pm
Old Sep 29, 2016, 8:25 am

How soon can I apply for another Amex Business Card?

I currently have 3 Amex cards (2 Personal, 1 Business), the latest being a Plat business card but wanted to apply to one more to get 10k MQM to make diamond this year on delta. The last card was approved on July 5, 2016. No other Amex in the last 12 months except for this one and no other CC applied for as well.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:21 pm

Delta Gold Biz: 1/17 Instant Approval
Delta Gold Personal: 1/19, delayed until 1/24, then approval email
PRG: 2/7 Instant Approval
Green: 2/11 Instant Approval
Gold: 2/11 Instant Approval
Everyday: 2/13 Instant Decline online. Letter in the mail stated too many accounts opened in recent months.

Just called in and requested the application to be manually reviewed. What are the chances of me getting approved for this? Reading this thread makes me think it's pretty good?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:24 am

Does anyone know if the # of credit card applications per a 90 day period also includes authorized users?

12/26/2016 Blue Cash Everyday Owner (approved)
1/24/17 Starwood Preferred Personal Authorized User (approved)
2/16/17 Starwood Preferred Owner (approved)
3/20/17 Starwood Preferred Business Owner (cancelled)

If it is 2 credit cards per 90 days i can see why it was cancelled, I should've waited until next Monday to apply, i didn't even think about it. I'm guessing there was no hard pull and it was automatically cancelled, due to the # of approvals. Once the Blue Cash drops off in the next couple days, any idea if I will be ok to apply once again for the SPG business?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:59 am

Not quite sure of AMEX 2/90 rule

I understand this rule is for credit cards, not charge cards.

So, 10 days ago I applied for a business credit card, approved.
4 days ago applied for targeted Delta personal card, approved.

I want to apply for a different Delta personal card (also targeted) before Nov 8 deadline - will it be considered 3/90 or is the business card counted separately?

And, I'd like to apply for a personal Platinum Charge card in December, or am I expecting too much?

Been with AMEX about 15 years and have SPG personal for many years.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: seeking best cc sign-up & spend bonus offers
(this thread on target, but does another thread have wiki advice?)

Got instant approval Platinum Amex Delta personal + busn last week;
want Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express now;
35Kpt bonuses + 10K spend = 45Kpts ends Nov 1 AFAIK, so want to apply asap...
unsure as to written-unwritten rule (3) applies within same month;
Kosher or not??? Advice from experts on this topic appreciated;
(previous responses in this thread conflict...?) Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by TravelPhotographer; Oct 30, 2017 at 8:58 pm
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Applying for Business Gold Charge Card

I have already applied and been approved for 2 Amex credit cards within last month, so cannot apply for another one. Have a big organic spend coming up and so wanted to utilize that to meet some other card minimum spend limits. Am above 5/24, so chase is no go for now.
My credit history is less than 1 year old (~ 9 months) and have 3 credit cards from Amex . Does a charge card need a longer credit history or can they approve this basis my limited (but decent) relationship with them ?
While I read they don't do HP's for credit cards, not sure about charge card's and would like to avoid a HP if possible if its sure to be declined.

DP's appreciated.
Thanks,
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:23 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
.... I read they don't do HP's for credit cards,...,
This is an over simplification. American Express may make an inquiry for any application, credit or charge, personal or business. They sometimes do not if the applicant has sufficient history with American Express.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:08 am

Applying for Platinum card and PR Gold card at same time, will I get both bonuses?

Hello,

A gentleman with a website is claiming that Amex will not honor bonus point awards if I were to apply for 2 cards within 90 days. Source:

https://www.rewardexpert.com/blog/am...sign-up-bonus/
Another important restriction to keep in mind is that you cannot get a sign-up bonus if you’ve gotten a new Amex card within 90 days of your application. While you can apply for two cards within a three month period, you probably won’t want to because you won’t get bonuses for both cards.
Is this accurate? I just got approved for the Platinum card, and was thinking of doing the Premier Rewards Gold Card as well(after waiting the necessary 5 days of course). However, this guy is saying I won't get the bonus if I do both cards within 90 days?

Does anyone have any insight into this situation?

Thanks!
-heli
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by Heliface
Hello,

A gentleman with a website is claiming that Amex will not honor bonus point awards if I were to apply for 2 cards within 90 days. Source:

https://www.rewardexpert.com/blog/am...sign-up-bonus/

Is this accurate? I just got approved for the Platinum card, and was thinking of doing the Premier Rewards Gold Card as well(after waiting the necessary 5 days of course). However, this guy is saying I won't get the bonus if I do both cards within 90 days?

Does anyone have any insight into this situation?

Thanks!
-heli
I (and am sure many many others) have applied for multiple cards within 3 months and received the sign on bonuses..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.