Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Only 3 Amex card applications allowed in 90 days? [USA]

Only 3 Amex card applications allowed in 90 days? [USA]

Old Sep 17, 2015, 10:42 pm

Applied and was approved for 4 cards (2 charge and 2 credit) with 1.5 months between the first and last.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:46 am

There is no timer or rhyme or reason. It's based on the individual and what Amex's system deems you worthy of. I know plenty of people who have applied for 4-5 within 3 months and been approved.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 6:58 pm

No more than two credit cards in 90 days - apply for as many charge cards as you want, there are no restrictions.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ymarker
No more than two credit cards in 90 days - apply for as many charge cards as you want, there are no restrictions.
Can Amex Reconsideration overturn that?
Old Nov 15, 2015, 11:05 am

Max number of cards in a few months?

I have 3 Amex cards (had 4 but canceled one last night). Today I applied for the Hilton HHonors card, was told my application was pending, and then got an email with a link to check my status. The link showed 3 cards: the two approvals I got for the Starwood personal and business cards back on August 18 and then "Canceled" for the Hilton card. The explanation was:

"Thank you for applying for the Hilton HHonorsTM Card from American Express. We value your Membership and appreciate your interest in another American Express Card. We regret we are unable to approve this request.

The reason for our decision is that you have reached the maximum number and type of Cards that we will approve within the period of a few months."

Is there a 2 card in 3 months rule? I thought I had applied for these Starwood cards on August 13 but going back through my emails I see that it was on the 18th. Oh well.

If I call them in a few days (i.e. after 3 months has passed), am I likely to get a different answer?
Old Nov 15, 2015, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Apparently, Amex will approve no more than two credit cards in 90 days, and no more than four credit cards total, regardless of when they were approved.

Looks like you jumped the gun by a few days. Try applying again on Tuesday or Wednesday.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jsk1973
Apparently, Amex will approve no more than two credit cards in 90 days, and no more than four credit cards total, regardless of when they were approved.

Looks like you jumped the gun by a few days. Try applying again on Tuesday or Wednesday.
Did you try recon ? Make your case for the card .
Why take another pull without
exhausting all other possibilitys.

Unless you intend on not applying for any other cards
From whatever issuers in the future, I would not take another
pull so soon

Also don't believe that Amex
has any policy re amount of cards in given time

Their only , and this is YMMV
restriction is 3 credit cards max .

I know many reports of people getting five cards in 6 months
and know firsthand of people who have never been denied
an Amex card , ever after reconsideration .
Old Nov 16, 2015, 4:00 pm
Suspended

This person already has Amex cards, so it's unlikely there was a hard pull at all. Except in rare cases, current Amex cardholders don't get a hard pull unless an app is approved. For current cardholders, denials are based on Amex's last soft pull.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA
2/12/15 - Amex SPG - Approved
9/17/15 - Amex Everyday - Approved
10/5/15 - Amex SPG Open - Approved
11/19/15 - Amex Hilton HHonors - Declined, too many cards in recent months

Dumb move on my part, should have waited.

(There was also an Amex Platinum approved in May but as a charge card it is likely irrelevant.)
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:33 am

Just had this happen:

1/5/16 AMEX SPG Approved
1/11/16 AMEX Hilton (no fee) Approved
2/17/16 AMEX Hilton (Surpass) App cancelled, too many card.

Called and talked with a rep who said "there is no problem, but you applied for the same card twice, so we automatically cancelled your application." I tried to explain they weren't the same card but the difference was lost on him. Told me to take it up with customer service.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:33 am

In last 30 days wife approved for SPG card and delta amex. Is it safe to apply for SPG business or do I need to wait for 90 days.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by flyer31
In last 30 days wife approved for SPG card and delta amex. Is it safe to apply for SPG business or do I need to wait for 90 days.
Similar situation - I want to apply for the SPG personal, SPG business, and one more (Everyday Preferred, Hilton, or Hilton Surpass). Does the 2 CC / 90 day rule encompass business and personal credit cards?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by VolareOooCantareOoo
Similar situation - I want to apply for the SPG personal, SPG business, and one more (Everyday Preferred, Hilton, or Hilton Surpass). Does the 2 CC / 90 day rule encompass business and personal credit cards?
My datapoint
2/2016 - Amex Hilton (nofee) - approved
32016 - SPG personal and biz - only one approved, cited too many apps
Old Jun 4, 2016, 6:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
3/16 SPG personal (applied and instantly approved)
3/16 SPG business applied
3/22 SPG business approved

I'd like now to apply for the DL Skymiles Amex Business and planned to wait until after June 16, but it looks like maybe I don't have to if it's 3 apps or approvals per 90 days. Am I reading that right?
Old Jun 8, 2016, 5:57 pm

Mine:
02/18 Hilton approved
03/03 SPG personnel approved
04/26 Delta gold, declined, too many applications
05/29 Delta Platinum approved.

I do want to apply Delta Gold 50K offer Before July 6th, any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.