Upgrade Card vs New Personal Card?

Old Jun 17, 2015, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Could someone help me understand the pros and cons of upgrading an existing card, vs. opening a new premium card and canceling the old card?

I'm looking to get a personal platinum card. If the new account bonus is higher than I'm being offered to upgrade my personal card, what would be the disadvantage to opening a new account and canceling the old account?

So far, here is what I have:
  1. Credit Pull. Don't really care; I have solid credit and am not looking to churn
  2. Age of account/history may not carry over; Don't think I should care that much
  3. Less opportunity for future retention bonus; fee waivers. Not sure that should matter that much either
  4. Membership Rewards. I am assuming that the MR from a new Platinum card would "pool" with existing MR from my existing card. Is that correct?

Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions!

Thanks
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by EWR-6785
Could someone help me understand the pros and cons of upgrading an existing card, vs. opening a new premium card and canceling the old card?

I'm looking to get a personal platinum card. If the new account bonus is higher than I'm being offered to upgrade my personal card, what would be the disadvantage to opening a new account and canceling the old account?

So far, here is what I have:
  1. Credit Pull. Don't really care; I have solid credit and am not looking to churn
  2. Age of account/history may not carry over; Don't think I should care that much
  3. Less opportunity for future retention bonus; fee waivers. Not sure that should matter that much either
  4. Membership Rewards. I am assuming that the MR from a new Platinum card would "pool" with existing MR from my existing card. Is that correct?

Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions!

Thanks
I know you mentioned not churning, but if you're considering a Chase card, that "new account" might impact you - many reports of Chase denying new accounts if more than 5 new credit accounts from any bank opened w/in past 24 months - so just another component to consider.

Otherwise - I tend to agree with you - new accounts generally get higher bonuses - assuming you can't finagle AMEX to match that on a product change.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: Brooks Beta Runner
At least for me, when I get upgrade offers (from PRG to Platinum) they will let me keep my same card number, etc. Which is nice from an auto paying bills perspective.

It's definitely worth calling. Tell them what offer you're seeing for a new card, and ask if there's reason not to open a new one and cancel the old one. Best case, they offer to match (or come close) to the new card offer. Worst case they give you some reasons you'd already read or thought up yourself.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:25 pm
Suspended

I currently have a JetBlue Amex where my annual fee is being charged later this month. I got this card so I can get points from air travel on this airline. Now that JetBlue and AMEX are going in separate directions after 12/31 it leaves me with a decision to make. I use this card as a backup and keep a low balance on it. I'm looking to transfer to another AMEX card with a $0 annual fee.... Any ideas?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by sanfran8080
I currently have a JetBlue Amex where my annual fee is being charged later this month. I got this card so I can get points from air travel on this airline. Now that JetBlue and AMEX are going in separate directions after 12/31 it leaves me with a decision to make. I use this card as a backup and keep a low balance on it. I'm looking to transfer to another AMEX card with a $0 annual fee.... Any ideas?
Amex Everyday and Amex Blue Cash are no fee cards you might be interested in. Some banks won't let you product change from a co-branded card to a non-co-branded card, but I don't know if Amex is one of them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.