Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

[CONFIRMED]:MR (Canada) to BA Avios Transfer Bonus 25% effective 06/25/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[CONFIRMED]:MR (Canada) to BA Avios Transfer Bonus 25% effective 06/25/2015

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2015, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by zer0k1
Offer ends September 30, 2015
Originally Posted by claurianta2
Where does it say that?
That's 3 months from now, wow, quite long vs. the previous "1 month only"
I couldn't find the expiry/end date either
Old Jun 25, 2015, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by claurianta2
Where does it say that?
I called CS
Old Jun 26, 2015, 8:52 am

Glad to see the long timeline for conversion.

But...I'm finding Avios less and less useful. Primary use for me is YYZ-ORD and YYZ-NYC. Availability has really tightened up versus what I used to see. thank god for that TAM flight to JFK. AA metal seems nonexistent.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by grandgourmand

But...I'm finding Avios less and less useful. Primary use for me is YYZ-ORD and YYZ-NYC. Availability has really tightened up versus what I used to see. thank god for that TAM flight to JFK. AA metal seems nonexistent.
Totally agree on AA availability disappearing

To confirm, I searched 1 seat YYZ-JFK/LGA/ORD for the next 30 days and nothing really, besides the TAM YYZ-JFK flight

It's quite sad that AA's blocking Avios bookings

so I'm down to book Avios on CX, Alaska, or Aer Lingus
Old Jun 26, 2015, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung

To confirm, I searched 1 seat YYZ-JFK/LGA/ORD for the next 30 days and nothing really, besides the TAM YYZ-JFK flight

glad to see someone else seeing the same thing (not glad about the trend though).

there's a discussion on the AA board about sAAver inventory, or lack thereof.

Canadian Amex holders should read that to get a sense of what's going on. I'd hold off on converting to see if it's a glitch. that is, unless you're looking at booking something other than AA.

but seriously, if AA is pulling back inventory while their FFers are booking Cathay F awards left and right (and causing Cathay to review its award availability policy) that's just...wrong!
Old Jun 26, 2015, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by grandgourmand

I primarily use them for yyz-Eastern US but I have become surprised how good they might be, especially if used during BA's and Iberia's new reward charts.

I looked at one way, IST-YYZ for next May:

21500 Avios + $ 205 (Iberia similar) in economy

IMO that's pretty good, considering the distance. It includes a few hours layover in LHR. Where the value dives is when business class comes into play.

The closest to that is AA at 20,000 off-peak (if you can find) and I'd prefer to hang on to AA points. And of course good 'ol Aeroplan - 37,500. Avios way easier use due to MR. And now it would be approximately 17,250 MR to get a ticket like this.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by tommy99
I primarily use them for yyz-Eastern US but I have become surprised how good they might be, especially if used during BA's and Iberia's new reward charts.

I looked at one way, IST-YYZ for next May:

21500 Avios + $ 205 (Iberia similar) in economy

IMO that's pretty good, considering the distance. It includes a few hours layover in LHR. Where the value dives is when business class comes into play.

The closest to that is AA at 20,000 off-peak (if you can find) and I'd prefer to hang on to AA points. And of course good 'ol Aeroplan - 37,500. Avios way easier use due to MR. And now it would be approximately 17,250 MR to get a ticket like this.
That'd be funny and quite a turn, using Avios on long-haul (CX or IB) instead of short-haul on AA/US

but for me, YYZ-HKG on CX Y may be better value for Asia 1
CX Y 35K Avios one-way (70K return) = 56K AMEX MR only vs. 75K Aeroplan/AMEX MR return
Old Jun 26, 2015, 11:00 am

They might be doing more than blocking Avios...on the AA site itself I cannot find (or book) any availability for YOW-JFK/LGA or YUL-JFK/LGA/CLT for the next 7 months. I wonder if it is a glitch.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: AMEX, AEROPLAN
That'd be funny and quite a turn, using Avios on long-haul (CX or IB) instead of short-haul on AA/US

but for me, YYZ-HKG on CX Y may be better value for Asia 1
CX Y 35K Avios one-way (70K return) = 56K AMEX MR only vs. 75K Aeroplan/AMEX MR return
just wonder how to book CX with avios point? I searched BA and no available flight. Thanks
Old Jun 26, 2015, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by erwintok
They might be doing more than blocking Avios...on the AA site itself I cannot find (or book) any availability for YOW-JFK/LGA or YUL-JFK/LGA/CLT for the next 7 months. I wonder if it is a glitch.
don't think it's a glitch, it's AA being stingy

I booked the JFK-AUH price error 2015 X'mas and it's been 6 months now and I haven't seen any AA space YYZ-JFK, so I booked TAM instead (thankfully)
Old Jun 27, 2015, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
don't think it's a glitch, it's AA being stingy
some are blocked, or there is a system glitch

AUA-MIA Jul.7 - QF/AA showing 3 flights, Avios, nothing.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by onlycat
just wonder how to book CX with avios point? I searched BA and no available flight. Thanks
Also - does anyone know what the YQ and taxes are on a CX Y redemption from YYZ to HKG, round trip.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by hockeyfan12
Also - does anyone know what the YQ and taxes are on a CX Y redemption from YYZ to HKG, round trip.
You can price it out on British Airways website, or it may just be whatever ITA Matrix quotes
Plus, CX's YQ changes all the time

Just tested it for you
YYZ-HKG is 35000 Avios + $88
HKG-YYZ is 35000 Avios + $52
Total is 70K Avios + $140 CAD

Last edited by jerryhung; Jun 27, 2015 at 11:18 am
Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:46 am

You can price it out on British Airways website, or it may just be whatever ITA Matrix quotes

I know YYZ-TPE-HKG one-way is 39500 Avios (35000+4500) + $88.31 CAD
ITA is quoting about $180 CAD roundtrip, 70k Avios plus that is much better use of my MR points than transferring to aeroplan.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 2:43 pm

If you're flying to Hong Kong Aeroplan's surcharges are small too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.