Wiki Posts
Search

Please don't destroy my card...

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2015, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Express
Please don't destroy my card...

Hello everyone. I have been an avid reader of the posts on this website but I have never had the need to start a post. I did a little bit of looking around and could not find a thread pertaining to my complaint. I am a PRG card holder and I might be a little bit weird but I take a lot of pride in the fact that I am an American Express card holder every time I take the card out of my wallet. That feeling is lost on a lot of the businesses where I use my card. I don't believe that there is any reason to almost destroy the card every time that it is run through the card reader. It should take an easy, straight swipe for the information be read. I don't think my card needs to bent in half as its being swiped, swiped 10 times in 3 seconds, dropped on the counter, or used as a drum stick while waiting for the receipt to print. I have had to replace my card numerous times over the years because of rough treatment. I am not sure if anyone else has had the same problems but it irks me each time that my card is used in those ways.
Old May 21, 2015, 1:18 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Does this happen more often to your American Express card than to other brands?
Old May 21, 2015, 5:23 pm

God forbid you are to young for the days of the destructive imprinter

Old May 21, 2015, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

Last edited by Eastbay1K; May 22, 2015 at 9:18 am Reason: without the picture, the post is now worthless
Old May 21, 2015, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I'm not sure I'd worry too much and "pride" about a CC?
Old May 21, 2015, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Does this happen more often to your American Express card than to other brands?
Mia,

Thanks for the welcome. I use my PRG for about 99% of my spending, so I don't use other cards too often. But I find that now a days it is any card that is used. I find Chipotle to be one of the worst offenders.
Old May 21, 2015, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
LOL...

I had a silly lady at SFO roughly run my credit card through the reader several times and scratch across the magnet strip before I could stop her. She then had the temerity to shove it back at me and say "It not working."

It was all I could do not to scream at her as I was headed out to Italy for 10 days and had intended to use that card primarily.

Life goes on.
Old May 21, 2015, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
I'm not sure I'd worry too much and "pride" about a CC?
Your right, pride about a CC does sound weird. However to me, it means that I live in my means, I pay it off every month and I try (for the most part) to make good financial decisions. I take a lot of pride in that stuff and I guess that piece of plastic is the symbol.
Old May 22, 2015, 8:42 am

Programs: DL, Hyatt, National
I've always laughed when I've seen them wrap bagel pickup tissues around my card at Panera and swipe it slowly after they did the seizure swipe. Like somehow that magical tissue paper conducts the magnetic data better. Its because they swiped it normally.

I chalk it up to the "I saw someone else do it so it must be required" mentality.

I had one do the seizure swipe and hand me my card back and say it wasn't working must be damaged on a month old card. I reached over and swiped it normally and it beeped. She was astonished that it worked.

Just be glad most cards have a better coating on the stripe these days and we're moving to chip and signature. Then we get to watch them pound the card in and out and snap them in half. heh
Old May 22, 2015, 10:32 am

The really does work and is not because of a slow swipe. You can find several explanations. You are dealing with magnetic fields.

Originally Posted by Tibs
I've always laughed when I've seen them wrap bagel pickup tissues around my card at Panera and swipe it slowly after they did the seizure swipe. Like somehow that magical tissue paper conducts the magnetic data better. Its because they swiped it normally.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
A single, deliberate, medium speed swipe is all that's necessary.

I just request a replacement card every time mine starts to look bad, it's free and well worth it. Just make sure to tell Amex you're requesting it because the mag strip doesn't work or the numbers wore off rather than saying it was lost or stolen, that way the number stays the same.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by mike35621
Hello everyone. I have been an avid reader of the posts on this website but I have never had the need to start a post. I did a little bit of looking around and could not find a thread pertaining to my complaint. I am a PRG card holder and I might be a little bit weird but I take a lot of pride in the fact that I am an American Express card holder every time I take the card out of my wallet. That feeling is lost on a lot of the businesses where I use my card. I don't believe that there is any reason to almost destroy the card every time that it is run through the card reader. It should take an easy, straight swipe for the information be read. I don't think my card needs to bent in half as its being swiped, swiped 10 times in 3 seconds, dropped on the counter, or used as a drum stick while waiting for the receipt to print. I have had to replace my card numerous times over the years because of rough treatment. I am not sure if anyone else has had the same problems but it irks me each time that my card is used in those ways.
If you want an indestructible card, get the Chase Sapphire Preferred.
Old May 22, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by Tibs
I've always laughed when I've seen them wrap bagel pickup tissues around my card at Panera and swipe it slowly after they did the seizure swipe.
I just had to explain to someone here why I'm laughing after reading the above.

I've seen that exact same behavior at the Panera we usually frequent: the cashier gets the card and furiously swipes it back and forth.

Fortunately, that went away once they started taking Apple Pay. Since then, my card stays safely in my wallet while the phone does the work.
Old May 22, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: Delta Flyer
Well, with chip & pin--we'll have no one to blame but ourselves
Old May 22, 2015, 11:48 pm

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Originally Posted by mike35621
Your right, pride about a CC does sound weird. However to me, it means that I live in my means, I pay it off every month and I try (for the most part) to make good financial decisions. I take a lot of pride in that stuff and I guess that piece of plastic is the symbol.
AMEX PRG is actually a charge card and not a credit card, so you have no choice but to pay it off each billing cycle. That said, in the absenence of a 0% interest promotion, I see no reason to keep a credit card balance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.