Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Effective June 2017 the USA Business Platinum airfare Pay-with-Points refund was reduced to 35%. This brings the net value to $0.0153 per point, essentially the same as Chase Sapphire Reserve's Pay-with-Points redemption rate.

USA Business Centurion cardholders will continue to receive a 50% refund. The Centurion version is also broader than the Platinum benefit:

Centurion: beginning October 6, 2016 you will get 50% Membership Rewards® points back when you use the Pay with Points feature for all or part of a flight on any airline. The maximum rebate per calendar year for Centurion members is (_______?)

Platinum: Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (35% Airline Bonus). The maximum rebate per calendar year for Business Platinum Card Members is 1,000,000 points.

FAQ

Q1. How does the process work?

A1. Here is an example, buying a $1,000.00 ticket:
  • $1,000 charged to American Express card [Day 1]
  • 100,000 Membership Rewards points redeemed [Day 1]
  • $1,000 credited to American Express card [Day 2]
  • _35,000 Membership Rewards points returned [~a month later]
  • Net: $1,000 ticket for 65,000 points = $0.0154/point

Q2. Must the Business Centurion or Platinum card be used to purchase the ticket?

A2. When the benefit was refreshed in October 2016 you could pay with any card linked to the same Membership Rewards account, but it appears this changed in April 2017.

Q3. Will I earn Membership Rewards points on the purchase price?

A3. You will not earn base points, but you may earn bonus points if you pay with a card that awards a bonus for airline ticket purchases, such as Business Platinum, Personal Platinum, Business Rewards Gold, Premier Rewards Gold.

Q4. What happens if I cancel the ticket?

A4. There are mixed reports, but in most examples the cost of the ticket is refunded (a second time) to the card account. In one example American Express refunded the remainder of the points instead. If you prefer the points refunded rather than a cash credit, phone into AMEX and they will restore the points and remove the credit.

Q5. Can this benefit be combined with the International Airline Program companion ticket?

A5. One poster was told no, but another was able to do so.

Print Wikipost

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by thexfactor
Correct. The 1.5x has also been delayed.

In the past, it has posted w/in 24-48 hours. Now, the last confirmed posting is 4/21.

(Incidentally, based on my sources, no signup bonuses have been posting since the same day, CMIIW.)

1.5x has now posted. So have some welcome bonuses.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:50 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by oneworld82
If you book a first or business class ticket, you do not need to pre-select an airline correct?
I called Amex travel and they confirmed choosing airline doesn't matter as long as it's first/business.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:52 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I called Amex travel and they confirmed choosing airline doesn't matter as long as it's first/business.

...and did the person you spoke with confirm that your wife's ticket is scheduled to have points reimbursed?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: SPG PLAT, DELTA PLAT
Originally Posted by thexfactor
1.5x has now posted. So have some welcome bonuses.

I can confirm this for me as well. Also the delayed Blue for Business points that posted the next day are now posting.

What is not posting is my bonus points for booking prepaid hotel through amextravel. The statement closed and did not show up on pending points either.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
...and did the person you spoke with confirm that your wife's ticket is scheduled to have points reimbursed?
Well I did not ask. She just put me on hold and then came back saying that as it was a business class ticket it was eligible. Can she see whether it's scheduled to have the points reimbursed?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:37 am
mia

... Can she see whether it's scheduled to have the points reimbursed?
Apparently:

Originally Posted by extremeromance
...chat with Amex on the 50 percent rebate not posting, the rep informed me that he sees it in my account as "approved"....
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
Apparently:
Yeah I read that. Still I have a hard time having anyone looking into it - they just give the canned answer back. One guy even told me that the 50% points back is only for business class flights on your selected airlines...
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:05 am
mia

I think your question is a good one. As a matter of policy any business class ticket should qualify, but perhaps the software doesn't look at the transaction if the cardholder hasn't chosen an airline. Having found someone who confirmed that all business tickets are eligible, I would followup by asking her to look at the specific transaction.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I think your question is a good one. As a matter of policy any business class ticket should qualify, but perhaps the software doesn't look at the transaction if the cardholder hasn't chosen an airline. Having found someone who confirmed that all business tickets are eligible, I would followup by asking her to look at the specific transaction.
That was certainly not the case < 4/11.

Are you suggesting something changed regarding this on 4/11? If so, what makes you say that, aside from the fact that other things changed on 4/11?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: Blinged Out
Aaaannd It's gone...

Per TPG, starting June 1, the 50% reimbursement will become 35% - Thus making the points worth around 1.54 cents instead of 2.

Fun while it lasted...
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:42 am
mia

Originally Posted by SeaHawg
Per TPG, ...
Thank you. Story is here:

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/04/ame...irfare-rebate/
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: AA 9 Million Miler, UA 1K, DL Plat, SPG Plat, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by mia
Mia, can you please confirm if TPG is correct, and where in Amex can it be found.
Also, if Business Centurion will indeed not be subject to the new limitations.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ariholland
Mia, can you please confirm if TPG is correct, and where in Amex can it be found.
Also, if Business Centurion will indeed not be subject to the new limitations.
It's come from a source at Amex, so they haven't formally announced it yet.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I was on the fence about getting this card, now AMEX has made my decision for me. Thanks AMEX
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, IHG Diamond
From an Amex chat rep:
"If you opened your Business Platinum Card account anytime between October, 2016 and May 31, 2017, we will be honoring the 50% Airline Bonus, with unlimited points for one full year from the date your Business Card was issued. Once that full year has passed, you will start receiving 35% points back on eligible flights, up to a maximum of 500,000 points per calendar year."

Really disappointed with Amex. Seems like other issuers are adding perks, while Amex Platinum and Cent cards continue diluting them. So personally, I'll have until next January to use up the MR points I've been collecting due to this benefit, while re-assessing where to put our everyday non-bonus spending.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.