Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Effective June 2017 the USA Business Platinum airfare Pay-with-Points refund was reduced to 35%. This brings the net value to $0.0153 per point, essentially the same as Chase Sapphire Reserve's Pay-with-Points redemption rate.

USA Business Centurion cardholders will continue to receive a 50% refund. The Centurion version is also broader than the Platinum benefit:

Centurion: beginning October 6, 2016 you will get 50% Membership Rewards® points back when you use the Pay with Points feature for all or part of a flight on any airline. The maximum rebate per calendar year for Centurion members is (_______?)

Platinum: Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (35% Airline Bonus). The maximum rebate per calendar year for Business Platinum Card Members is 1,000,000 points.

FAQ

Q1. How does the process work?

A1. Here is an example, buying a $1,000.00 ticket:
  • $1,000 charged to American Express card [Day 1]
  • 100,000 Membership Rewards points redeemed [Day 1]
  • $1,000 credited to American Express card [Day 2]
  • _35,000 Membership Rewards points returned [~a month later]
  • Net: $1,000 ticket for 65,000 points = $0.0154/point

Q2. Must the Business Centurion or Platinum card be used to purchase the ticket?

A2. When the benefit was refreshed in October 2016 you could pay with any card linked to the same Membership Rewards account, but it appears this changed in April 2017.

Q3. Will I earn Membership Rewards points on the purchase price?

A3. You will not earn base points, but you may earn bonus points if you pay with a card that awards a bonus for airline ticket purchases, such as Business Platinum, Personal Platinum, Business Rewards Gold, Premier Rewards Gold.

Q4. What happens if I cancel the ticket?

A4. There are mixed reports, but in most examples the cost of the ticket is refunded (a second time) to the card account. In one example American Express refunded the remainder of the points instead. If you prefer the points refunded rather than a cash credit, phone into AMEX and they will restore the points and remove the credit.

Q5. Can this benefit be combined with the International Airline Program companion ticket?

A5. One poster was told no, but another was able to do so.

Print Wikipost

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:43 pm
formerly oyalkut

Programs: Delta SM
I have an personal Amex Platinum and am thinking about opening Business Platinum with the new signup offer. If I understand correctly, they will be linked to the same MR account? So in theory, I can purchase airfare on personal platinum and get 5X points, then redeem that for a ticket under Business Platinum and get 50% of points back?
Old Dec 7, 2016, 5:32 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by oyalkut
... purchase airfare on personal platinum and get 5X points, then redeem that for a ticket under Business Platinum and get 50% of points back?
Correct, but do the arithmetic to see if it's worthwhile holding both cards. If you spent $2,000 on paid airfare that would generate 10,000 points, sufficient to offset $100 on a ticket - with 5,000 points refunded to be used on another transaction.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 6:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I have an personal Amex Platinum and am thinking about opening Business Platinum with the new signup offer. If I understand correctly, they will be linked to the same MR account? So in theory, I can purchase airfare on personal platinum and get 5X points, then redeem that for a ticket under Business Platinum and get 50% of points back?
I should know more in a couple of days when my next personal Platinum statement cycles. But it *appears* that I am earning not 5x, but 4x bonus points, with no base points (because those are offset by the MR credit). I will update as I learn more.

Am skeptical that folks with two platnium cards will get two airlines offering 50% MR credit, unless they have two *business* platinum cards. FWIW.

Last edited by DaveH; Dec 11, 2016 at 4:36 pm
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:22 pm
formerly oyalkut

Originally Posted by mia
Correct, but do the arithmetic to see if it's worthwhile holding both cards. If you spent $2,000 on paid airfare that would generate 10,000 points, sufficient to offset $100 on a ticket - with 5,000 points refunded to be used on another transaction.
I'm sure this question been asked like a million times already, but if you had to pick one to hold on to long term, which one would it be? I generally only spend about $3k per year on airfare - the rest is miles. Might increase a bit in the next few years, but not by too much
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:24 pm
formerly oyalkut

Originally Posted by DaveH
I should know more in a couple of days when my next personal Platinum statement cycles. But it *appears* that I am earning not 5x, but 4x bonus points, with no base points (because those are offset by the MR credit). I will update as a learn more.y

Am skeptical that folks with two platnium cards will get two airlines offering 50% MR credit, unless they have two *business* platinum cards. FWIW.
Sorry, I'm confused. If you buy airfare with $$ on your personal Plat, do they not give you 5X? Or do you meant that you would get 5X back even if you didn't use $$ but PWP instead? I didn't even realize that was available.

Last edited by Olga_NYC; Dec 8, 2016 at 8:55 am
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:48 am
formerly oyalkut

Originally Posted by gold23
Is it possible to stack the international airline companion perk with the 50% credit on paying with points? Theoretically, can I price out the J ticket for my trip (through Amex travel, as their fares are always in the higher buckets for this promotion), purchase it with points, and then have my companion added as a free ticket?

I'm trying to understand when would doing something like this be useful. In my (very limited) experience, prices of the refundable tickets that are required under IAC promotion are twice as expensive as a regular ticket. So any savings you get from a 50% points rebate are negated by the initial fare being 200% of the regular price. At best, you gain a benefit of having a fully refundable fare for the same end price as non-refundable.

Is there a better way to actual $$ savings that I'm just not seeing?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:57 am

hey guys, so i just redeemed with the pay with points options. On my statement, it actually shows that my business plat was charged, and then received a credit for the amount of points. Do i Need to use my business plat to pay for the flight to get the 50% back or can I choose any card and its automatically processed back to my account because I am a business plat card holder?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 9:31 am
mia

... can I price out the J ticket for my trip (through Amex travel, as their fares are always in the higher buckets for this promotion), purchase it with points, and then have my companion added as a free ticket?
No. The International Airline Program is operated by Platinum Travel Service, not by American Express Travel, and the IAP requires purchase of specific fares, typically unrestricted fully refundable classes.

Originally Posted by babypuwet
... shows that my business plat was charged, and then received a credit for the amount of points....
Yes, that's how all Pay with Points transactions are done. Previous reports indicate that the purchased ticket does not earn any points (no base points, no bonus points). In THIS post DaveH mentions that a Pay with Points transaction paid with a personal Platinum may have earned bonus points even though it earned no base points. Anything could happen once, I would want to see several reports to have confidence that the paid transaction will reliably earn anything.

Last edited by mia; Dec 8, 2016 at 9:39 am
Old Dec 8, 2016, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by babypuwet
Do i Need to use my business plat to pay for the flight to get the 50% back or can I choose any card and its automatically processed back to my account because I am a business plat card holder?
Section on the terms listed below. Appears to me it just has to be a MR-earning card? Not the Biz Platinum. Bolding mine. Also deleted out a lot at the end but you can read the rest here:

https://www262.americanexpress.com/business-card-application/business-platinum-charge-card/tandc/44279-AJTnC-0/?pznOfferCode=&rsvpFlag=&rc=&zc=&ch=&key=tncBody#O fferTerms

50% Airline Bonus Disclosure
To use Pay with Points, you must charge your eligible airfare purchase through American Express Travel to a Membership Rewards® program-enrolled American Express® Card. Points will be debited from your Membership Rewards account, and credit for corresponding dollar amount will be issued to the American Express Card account used. If points redeemed do not cover entire amount, the balance of purchase price will remain on the American Express Card account. Points must be used at the time of booking. Pay with Points requires a minimum redemption of 5,000 points.
Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (50% Airline Bonus). For First or Business class flights on a Card Member's selected qualifying airline, the Card Member will still receive only 5 extra points for every 10 points redeemed. Card Member must select a qualifying airline at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice Only the Basic Card Member or Authorized Account Manager(s) on the Card Account can select the qualifying airline.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1K
I'm trying to understand when would doing something like this be useful. In my (very limited) experience, prices of the refundable tickets that are required under IAC promotion are twice as expensive as a regular ticket. So any savings you get from a 50% points rebate are negated by the initial fare being 200% of the regular price. At best, you gain a benefit of having a fully refundable fare for the same end price as non-refundable.

Is there a better way to actual $$ savings that I'm just not seeing?
As Mia notes above, this is not possible. I spent about 40 minutes on the phone in the days after my post. The first agent thought it WOULD be possible, and we started down the road of pricing itins. None of the pricing available to the program would have been worthwhile. Some were close, primarily because of the miles you would earn in the airline programs as a revenue purchase, but none were worth moving through the process further. That being said, when we did get close on one and I asked her to confirm that I could indeed do this...her supervisor came on and said it was not possible.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 11:41 am
formerly oyalkut

Thanks guys. I figured it probably would not work / be worthwhile, but was holding on a glimmer of hope nevertheless.

Originally Posted by mia
No. The International Airline Program is operated by Platinum Travel Service, not by American Express Travel, and the IAP requires purchase of specific fares, typically unrestricted fully refundable classes.
As Mia notes above, this is not possible. I spent about 40 minutes on the phone in the days after my post. The first agent thought it WOULD be possible, and we started down the road of pricing itins. None of the pricing available to the program would have been worthwhile. Some were close, primarily because of the miles you would earn in the airline programs as a revenue purchase, but none were worth moving through the process further. That being said, when we did get close on one and I asked her to confirm that I could indeed do this...her supervisor came on and said it was not possible.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 1:10 pm

Hi !
I purchase a fully refundable first class ticket on AS with pay with points. If I cancel the ticket I assume it will refund the entire amount back to my AMEX , is this accurate and a way to cash out AMEX points at 2 cents a point ?
Old Dec 11, 2016, 1:19 pm
mia

Originally Posted by sunil
...If I cancel the ticket I assume it will refund the entire amount back to my AMEX ...
Scroll back to post 81 and read forward. In that example the full refund went to the card, but I recall at least one example in which the points portion was reversed instead. I don't think we have sufficient data to know what's typical.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Scroll back to post 81 and read forward. In that example the full refund went to the card, but I recall at least one example in which the points portion was reversed instead. I don't think we have sufficient data to know what's typical.
Cool, TY for pointing it out !! Wonder if I should refund the tickets only after I cancel my AMEX account to reduce the risk of the points getting credited back.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 4:33 pm
formerly oyalkut

Originally Posted by mia
Just wanted to add my experience: yesterday I bought a Jet Blue ticket on AMEX travel with points, then realized I wanted do fly Delta so I called to cancel it. I had to specifically request that they return my points, and the Rep actually had to get another department involved to approve that. If I did not request a points refund, I would have ended up with $$.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.