Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Effective June 2017 the USA Business Platinum airfare Pay-with-Points refund was reduced to 35%. This brings the net value to $0.0153 per point, essentially the same as Chase Sapphire Reserve's Pay-with-Points redemption rate.

USA Business Centurion cardholders will continue to receive a 50% refund. The Centurion version is also broader than the Platinum benefit:

Centurion: beginning October 6, 2016 you will get 50% Membership Rewards® points back when you use the Pay with Points feature for all or part of a flight on any airline. The maximum rebate per calendar year for Centurion members is (_______?)

Platinum: Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (35% Airline Bonus). The maximum rebate per calendar year for Business Platinum Card Members is 1,000,000 points.

FAQ

Q1. How does the process work?

A1. Here is an example, buying a $1,000.00 ticket:
  • $1,000 charged to American Express card [Day 1]
  • 100,000 Membership Rewards points redeemed [Day 1]
  • $1,000 credited to American Express card [Day 2]
  • _35,000 Membership Rewards points returned [~a month later]
  • Net: $1,000 ticket for 65,000 points = $0.0154/point

Q2. Must the Business Centurion or Platinum card be used to purchase the ticket?

A2. When the benefit was refreshed in October 2016 you could pay with any card linked to the same Membership Rewards account, but it appears this changed in April 2017.

Q3. Will I earn Membership Rewards points on the purchase price?

A3. You will not earn base points, but you may earn bonus points if you pay with a card that awards a bonus for airline ticket purchases, such as Business Platinum, Personal Platinum, Business Rewards Gold, Premier Rewards Gold.

Q4. What happens if I cancel the ticket?

A4. There are mixed reports, but in most examples the cost of the ticket is refunded (a second time) to the card account. In one example American Express refunded the remainder of the points instead. If you prefer the points refunded rather than a cash credit, phone into AMEX and they will restore the points and remove the credit.

Q5. Can this benefit be combined with the International Airline Program companion ticket?

A5. One poster was told no, but another was able to do so.

Print Wikipost

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Old May 2, 2017, 6:14 pm

Any 50% rebate posting after 4/11?
Old May 2, 2017, 7:27 pm

Business Centurion and 50% back

Originally Posted by troyb
Does the 35% reduction also apply to Business Centurion cards or is this just for Platinum?
I spoke to Business Centurion CSR today, and she confirmed that the 50% rebate will continue for Business Centurion.

I also have Business platinum, she confirmed 35% back on first/bus and selected airline. (with 500K point limit on rebate, not on earning like PRG).

I typically put spend here (BPLAT) (to take advantage of 5x airfare) and have both linked to same MR account. using BCent for redemptions.

I have recently(within last few weeks) experienced the following:

1. 1.5x points back ($5k charge and above), and 50% pay with points, posting withing 1-2 days without an issue (on both BPlat and BCent).
2. Advance on pending points. (needed for 2 transatlantic Business class) without to much of an issue.

I have multiple OPEN cards and Corporate Card program with Amex, so decent customer, typically call BCent 800 number, they are great CSR to deal with.
Old May 3, 2017, 10:13 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Can someone please educate me on where I would find the official notice from Amex for this reduction to 35%? There doesn't seem to be anything about it on my account statements for the past few months.

I would think that if Amex were really making this change on June 1 -- less than a month away -- we would have had to hear about it by now. Did I miss something?
Old May 3, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by nnn
Can someone please educate me on where I would find the official notice from Amex for this reduction to 35%? There doesn't seem to be anything about it on my account statements for the past few months.

I would think that if Amex were really making this change on June 1 -- less than a month away -- we would have had to hear about it by now. Did I miss something?
I got it in the mail last night.
Old May 4, 2017, 1:23 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by 98pct
I spoke to Business Centurion CSR today, and she confirmed that the 50% rebate will continue for Business Centurion.

I also have Business platinum, she confirmed 35% back on first/bus and selected airline. (with 500K point limit on rebate, not on earning like PRG).

I typically put spend here (BPLAT) (to take advantage of 5x airfare) and have both linked to same MR account. using BCent for redemptions.

I have recently(within last few weeks) experienced the following:

1. 1.5x points back ($5k charge and above), and 50% pay with points, posting withing 1-2 days without an issue (on both BPlat and BCent).
2. Advance on pending points. (needed for 2 transatlantic Business class) without to much of an issue.

I have multiple OPEN cards and Corporate Card program with Amex, so decent customer, typically call BCent 800 number, they are great CSR to deal with.
Thanks, that's good news.
Old May 4, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by geclub1
Same here, got a mailing from Amex a few days ago.
Old May 4, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
+1
Old May 4, 2017, 11:14 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

I have rewritten the thread title to summarize what we know, subject to space constraints.

I have also refreshed the Wikipost. Remember that the Wikipost is a shared resource. Any member who can see the [Edit] button is invited to add, remove, change or otherwise improve the content.
Old May 4, 2017, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by bodiddely
I'm in a similar boat. I called and they said I will continue to get the 50% bonus until 12 months from the date I upgraded.
Thanks for the information.
Another related question.
My Business Platinum card signed up from last year was charged annual fee on 04/29. Do I have until 04/28/2018 for the 50% benefit?

I known "If you applied October 5 to present, or you sign up by May 31, you will keep the 50% rebate benefit for one full year rather than losing it June 1."

Last edited by milaohu; May 4, 2017 at 12:39 pm
Old May 4, 2017, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by moops380
if my ticket was refunded within 24 hours and they do the refund in cash. Is there any chance i wont get the 50% rebate whenever it would post. I just dont want to end up with an exchange of 1 cent per point. 2 is fine as i know im bound to keep earning mr for ana and aeroplan.
Nobody knows.
No body received 50% rebate since 04/11/2017, for booking kept or canceled within 24 hours.
Old May 4, 2017, 12:35 pm

+1
Old May 4, 2017, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by thexfactor
Don't hold your breath.
I don't want to offer too much false hope - I have this card and I am frustrated too!

I also have a UK British Airways Amex and earlier this year they materially downgraded the deal for many long time cardholders by sending out a letter of the change. There was a storm in the BA forum on here and calls to Amex customer services were met with inflexiblity and insistance on the impending change.

After a few months and probably many unhappy cancelling customers they sent another letter apologising that the first one was a mistake and nothing was to change. Look at the thread above you will see some even got a letter offering to reverse account downgrades/cancellations!
Old May 4, 2017, 7:43 pm

Can anybody please tell me why was this 50% redemption big deal for people to begin with. It translates to 2 cent back per dollar spend. Citi double cash gives you 2% with no annual fee. Why couldn't amex hold on to this benefit if cards with no annual fee are giving it away?

The only thing that strikes me is maybe grouping the 1.5 points for $5000+ charge gives you a 3 cent return when combined with the benefit in question. Were they surprised on how many dollars they were having to yield 3%?
Old May 4, 2017, 7:59 pm

the big deal is liquidation of large existing points balance, largely accumulated via sign-up bonuses. only a moron would put new 1x spending on AMEX for this benefit.
Old May 5, 2017, 4:15 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by manequin75
... Citi double cash gives you 2% with no annual fee.
.. with no new account bonus and no opportunities to earn more in any category.

We cannot look only at the value of a point, but also at the number of points earned per dollar. Several American Express cards can be linked to the same Membership Rewards account which means (example) that ALL spending on an Everyday Preferred card (1.5 points per dollar) would effectively become 3% return, and there are other cards with 2X, 3X and 5X category bonuses. The new $0.015 Pay with Points rate is still a good return if earning more than one point per dollar, but it's makes the comparison with Chase Sapphire Reserve closer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.