Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Effective June 2017 the USA Business Platinum airfare Pay-with-Points refund was reduced to 35%. This brings the net value to $0.0153 per point, essentially the same as Chase Sapphire Reserve's Pay-with-Points redemption rate.

USA Business Centurion cardholders will continue to receive a 50% refund. The Centurion version is also broader than the Platinum benefit:

Centurion: beginning October 6, 2016 you will get 50% Membership Rewards® points back when you use the Pay with Points feature for all or part of a flight on any airline. The maximum rebate per calendar year for Centurion members is (_______?)

Platinum: Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (35% Airline Bonus). The maximum rebate per calendar year for Business Platinum Card Members is 1,000,000 points.

FAQ

Q1. How does the process work?

A1. Here is an example, buying a $1,000.00 ticket:
  • $1,000 charged to American Express card [Day 1]
  • 100,000 Membership Rewards points redeemed [Day 1]
  • $1,000 credited to American Express card [Day 2]
  • _35,000 Membership Rewards points returned [~a month later]
  • Net: $1,000 ticket for 65,000 points = $0.0154/point

Q2. Must the Business Centurion or Platinum card be used to purchase the ticket?

A2. When the benefit was refreshed in October 2016 you could pay with any card linked to the same Membership Rewards account, but it appears this changed in April 2017.

Q3. Will I earn Membership Rewards points on the purchase price?

A3. You will not earn base points, but you may earn bonus points if you pay with a card that awards a bonus for airline ticket purchases, such as Business Platinum, Personal Platinum, Business Rewards Gold, Premier Rewards Gold.

Q4. What happens if I cancel the ticket?

A4. There are mixed reports, but in most examples the cost of the ticket is refunded (a second time) to the card account. In one example American Express refunded the remainder of the points instead. If you prefer the points refunded rather than a cash credit, phone into AMEX and they will restore the points and remove the credit.

Q5. Can this benefit be combined with the International Airline Program companion ticket?

A5. One poster was told no, but another was able to do so.

Print Wikipost

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by extremeromance
Experiencing delays as well, I have used this benefit a lot and the points are always there within 1-2 days, however this time booked a ticket on 4-15 and still no rebate, maybe Amex is trying to slow down the pace of redemptions.
I think the slowdown theory as at least a partial explanation is plausible.

I got some pending points accelerated today to make a ticket purchase...got it done, but chat CSR was more grudging about it than previously ("one time exception").
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:51 am

This basically kills the BPlat for my wife and I, makes it significantly more difficult to book 2+ tickets
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
If they really start taking 8-10 weeks to post the bonus, this SIGNIFICANTLY erodes this benefit, since for a lot of us not hugely rich in points, the strategy has been to purchase one ticket, wait a couple of days for the bonus to post, and then use those points for the second ticket for companion. With weeks between original purchase and bonus posting, it is unlikely we'd be able to buy both tickets at same/similar price points.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:04 am

Do you have to select a preferred airline immediately? Can you deselect it the following year and choose it at a later date? If so, it would help with trip planning.

How difficult is it to get the business version? I do not have my own business, but could put some work expenses on it, that my company reimburses me for. I guess I could say I have a small business selling season tickets, but I do not want a FR, and ruin my relationship with AMEX.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:15 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mjgoldstein9
Do you have to select a preferred airline immediately?
No.

Can you deselect it the following year and choose it at a later date?
The selection applies BOTH to the Airline Fee reimbursement benefit, and to this. You can change the selection in January. If you do not change it will default to your selection from previous year. Changing it after that is not impossible, but it is an exception.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:55 am

Thanks Mia

So if in January I'm not sure which airline will benefit me the most can I ask them to not have one chosen until a later date?

How difficult is the business platinum to get without an actual business. I've sold some things online in the past, and will do it again i'm sure, but I have a regular day job.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:13 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mjgoldstein9
...in January I'm not sure which airline will benefit me the most can I ask them to not have one chosen until a later date?
No, but if you have not had any expenses reimbursed customer service will generally allow you to change later in the year. Bear in mind that only the major domestic airlines are eligible.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:06 am

I think the answer here is going to be "sorry Charlie," but many of you are smarter than I am with this stuff so I'll give it a shot. (Numbers rounded up.)

I'm looking at booking four tickets on my airline of choice. With insider fares, the tickets are 50,000 points each. I have only 188,000 points. I would be fine paying partially with points and paying the rest in cash. (Not delighted if 8 weeks is now going to be the norm, but I can deal with it.)

The problem is that if I try to book 4 tickets, since I don't have enough points to pay entirely with points for all tickets, the insider fares go away, and the points requirement for each ticket goes up to 53,500.

I could book 3 tickets at insider fare prices and then book a fourth ticket in a separate reservation and pay with the remaining points. The problem there, though, is that only I have status, these are long flights, and I would like to book MCE seats on AA. Everyone in the same reservation as me can book MCE.

Anyone clever have a way to make this work?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:14 am

My experience is that AMEX Platinum Travel agents on the phone can see the same Insider Fares as online and allow you to use cash, combo of points & cash, or full points. So, for $39 each, you can get the Insider Fare and pay cash.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:25 am

Oh, that's fantastic -- thanks very much. I'll get my wife to try tonight -- it's her Amex account.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: LH Senator, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
do we also get 50% back for the points portion of cash+points payment?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:41 am

I booked a flight on my airline of choice after 3/30 on Amextravel.com and paid with points, selecting my bus plat as the payment card. My statement closed several days ago. It does not appear I received 4x and nothing is showing in pending points.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by lkar
I booked a flight on my airline of choice after 3/30 on Amextravel.com and paid with points, selecting my bus plat as the payment card. My statement closed several days ago. It does not appear I received 4x and nothing is showing in pending points.
You may need to wait for next statement.
I used personal platinum.
Paid Mar 2nd,
1st statement Mar 16th
2nd statement Apr 16th
4x Points posted on Apr 18th
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:39 am

Oh, gotcha. Will post if anything changes.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by swaigiux
do we also get 50% back for the points portion of cash+points payment?
Yes, this is how I do all of my trips - I buy F and use points to buy down the difference to cheap Y, and get half back. A HUGE incentive to direct my spending to Amex and away from Chase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.