Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Effective June 2017 the USA Business Platinum airfare Pay-with-Points refund was reduced to 35%. This brings the net value to $0.0153 per point, essentially the same as Chase Sapphire Reserve's Pay-with-Points redemption rate.

USA Business Centurion cardholders will continue to receive a 50% refund. The Centurion version is also broader than the Platinum benefit:

Centurion: beginning October 6, 2016 you will get 50% Membership Rewards® points back when you use the Pay with Points feature for all or part of a flight on any airline. The maximum rebate per calendar year for Centurion members is (_______?)

Platinum: Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (35% Airline Bonus). The maximum rebate per calendar year for Business Platinum Card Members is 1,000,000 points.

FAQ

Q1. How does the process work?

A1. Here is an example, buying a $1,000.00 ticket:
  • $1,000 charged to American Express card [Day 1]
  • 100,000 Membership Rewards points redeemed [Day 1]
  • $1,000 credited to American Express card [Day 2]
  • _35,000 Membership Rewards points returned [~a month later]
  • Net: $1,000 ticket for 65,000 points = $0.0154/point

Q2. Must the Business Centurion or Platinum card be used to purchase the ticket?

A2. When the benefit was refreshed in October 2016 you could pay with any card linked to the same Membership Rewards account, but it appears this changed in April 2017.

Q3. Will I earn Membership Rewards points on the purchase price?

A3. You will not earn base points, but you may earn bonus points if you pay with a card that awards a bonus for airline ticket purchases, such as Business Platinum, Personal Platinum, Business Rewards Gold, Premier Rewards Gold.

Q4. What happens if I cancel the ticket?

A4. There are mixed reports, but in most examples the cost of the ticket is refunded (a second time) to the card account. In one example American Express refunded the remainder of the points instead. If you prefer the points refunded rather than a cash credit, phone into AMEX and they will restore the points and remove the credit.

Q5. Can this benefit be combined with the International Airline Program companion ticket?

A5. One poster was told no, but another was able to do so.

Print Wikipost

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2017, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by JATR4
Which rebate? The cash refund for a points purchase shows up in about 2 days. The points rebate for 35/50% shows up in about one month.
Yea I am aware the 35/50 rebate shows up in a month but just wanted to know if anyone had a datapoint of the rebate showing up if they used the personal platinum to pay instead of the business platinum
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:36 am

i used personal plat as payment card. i have biz plat too. 50% rebate posted in 31 days.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Colin
i used personal plat as payment card. i have biz plat too. 50% rebate posted in 31 days.
What is the exact date that you booked the ticket? before 6/1 or after?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:42 pm

Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:12 pm

I have had Business Platinum since November, so was expecting to get 50% points rebate back on a first-class ticket purchase paid with points on June 3rd.

July 4th rolls around, 31 days later, and I'm given back 35% points. I'll call amex tomorrow about it, since they had confirmed earlier that I will be getting 50% points, but any other data points around this?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by nomii
I have had Business Platinum since November, so was expecting to get 50% points rebate back on a first-class ticket purchase paid with points on June 3rd.

July 4th rolls around, 31 days later, and I'm given back 35% points. I'll call amex tomorrow about it, since they had confirmed earlier that I will be getting 50% points, but any other data points around this?
Looks like we will have to fight for the 50% bonus. Got a 35% bonus for a 4 Jun purchase. CSR thought it was for my 5 Jul purchase. Had to inform her that the bonus doesn't post until 31 days later.

CSR unaware of grandfathering for cards opened before 1 Jun. CSR forwarding my problem to membership rewards dept. I suspect that will be the case for most of us until they get their act together.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 10:47 pm

Question

I also had to call in to get my full 50% rebate, as 35% posted. I'd like to think this is a system glitch at AMEX, but am holding out the possibility a deliberate decision was made to give 35% unless the grandfathered cardholder complains. Most people probably don't keep close track of the points.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:01 am

I called AMEX this morning and asked for a membership rewards supervisor. She was able to immediately credit my account for the missing 12,462 rewards points.

I have two more bonuses due and I expect to have to call on each one.

If you are missing a portion of the 50% bonus, I recommend talking to a rewards supervisor. Using CHAT is a complete waste of time.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by nomii

Update - called and got this fixed. Make sure you call (not chat), and in the call just give prompts for "Membership Rewards" or "Benefits" to get to the right person in membership rewards team. Explain the issue, they put you on hold for about 5-10 minutes, and add the extra points.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by mia
$1908 was the total first class fare for two passengers. Each earned (for the outbound flight):

Method: Distance - special fare
EQM: 3002
EQD: 376
Thanks! Pretty lame on the EQD.

Last edited by lkar; Jul 10, 2017 at 5:45 pm
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:44 pm

Just an additional data point -- the 35 percent instead of 50 percent issue is not fixed as of today at least.

This is going to be a hassle if they don't fix this and I need to call in on every one of these after they post. I would guess they are going to have to get on top of this eventually because this is potentially millions of points they are not properly crediting.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:59 pm

I called AMEX this morning and asked for a membership rewards supervisor. She was able to immediately credit my account for the missing 12,462 rewards points.

I have two more bonuses due and I expect to have to call on each one.

If you are missing a portion of the 50% bonus, I recommend talking to a rewards supervisor. Using CHAT is a complete waste of time.
Update on my post. AMEX membership rewards called me today as a follow-up on my additional miles. She stated that they would no longer be able to give points immediately and that the wait would be 10 weeks. Supposedly the extra 15% would post then. Not sure I believe this and plan to call on my next two bonuses if the 50% bonus doesn't post. Was assured that cards opened before 1 June 2017 are grandfathered and will eventually receive the bonus.

If you don't get the proper bonus, call membership rewards at 800-297-2011.

Hopefully, AMEX will get this problem fixed.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:05 am

Update on my post. AMEX membership rewards called me today as a follow-up on my additional miles. She stated that they would no longer be able to give points immediately and that the wait would be 10 weeks. Supposedly the extra 15% would post then. Not sure I believe this and plan to call on my next two bonuses if the 50% bonus doesn't post. Was assured that cards opened before 1 June 2017 are grandfathered and will eventually receive the bonus.

If you don't get the proper bonus, call membership rewards at 800-297-2011.

Hopefully, AMEX will get this problem fixed.
Another update.

Just got the extra 15% bonus today which is 8 days after the 35% bonus originally posted.

So, 35% posted 31 days after the MR points purchase and the additional 15% bonus posted eight days later. This may be the way those with the grandfathered 50% bonus will get their points.

Last edited by JATR4; Jul 13, 2017 at 3:47 pm
Old Jul 13, 2017, 2:15 pm

Received 15% after a week also as mentioned above, no need to call anymore.

Last edited by nomii; Jul 13, 2017 at 6:13 pm
Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Just saw this thread after having to call in this morning from being shorted the 15% on a booking that posted Jul 17th. CSR immediately posted the missing points and sounded very aware of the "glitch"

CSR stated that my next booking (which should post around Jul 21st) should automatically credit back the full 50%. Guess who's not holding his breath?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.