Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Effective June 2017 the USA Business Platinum airfare Pay-with-Points refund was reduced to 35%. This brings the net value to $0.0153 per point, essentially the same as Chase Sapphire Reserve's Pay-with-Points redemption rate.

USA Business Centurion cardholders will continue to receive a 50% refund. The Centurion version is also broader than the Platinum benefit:

Centurion: beginning October 6, 2016 you will get 50% Membership Rewards® points back when you use the Pay with Points feature for all or part of a flight on any airline. The maximum rebate per calendar year for Centurion members is (_______?)

Platinum: Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (35% Airline Bonus). The maximum rebate per calendar year for Business Platinum Card Members is 1,000,000 points.

FAQ

Q1. How does the process work?

A1. Here is an example, buying a $1,000.00 ticket:
  • $1,000 charged to American Express card [Day 1]
  • 100,000 Membership Rewards points redeemed [Day 1]
  • $1,000 credited to American Express card [Day 2]
  • _35,000 Membership Rewards points returned [~a month later]
  • Net: $1,000 ticket for 65,000 points = $0.0154/point

Q2. Must the Business Centurion or Platinum card be used to purchase the ticket?

A2. When the benefit was refreshed in October 2016 you could pay with any card linked to the same Membership Rewards account, but it appears this changed in April 2017.

Q3. Will I earn Membership Rewards points on the purchase price?

A3. You will not earn base points, but you may earn bonus points if you pay with a card that awards a bonus for airline ticket purchases, such as Business Platinum, Personal Platinum, Business Rewards Gold, Premier Rewards Gold.

Q4. What happens if I cancel the ticket?

A4. There are mixed reports, but in most examples the cost of the ticket is refunded (a second time) to the card account. In one example American Express refunded the remainder of the points instead. If you prefer the points refunded rather than a cash credit, phone into AMEX and they will restore the points and remove the credit.

Q5. Can this benefit be combined with the International Airline Program companion ticket?

A5. One poster was told no, but another was able to do so.

Print Wikipost

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by LR2013
re-assessing where to put our everyday non-bonus spending.
Do you have a Starwood card?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by LR2013
From an Amex chat rep:
"If you opened your Business Platinum Card account anytime between October, 2016 and May 31, 2017, we will be honoring the 50% Airline Bonus, with unlimited points for one full year from the date your Business Card was issued. Once that full year has passed, you will start receiving 35% points back on eligible flights, up to a maximum of 500,000 points per calendar year."

Really disappointed with Amex. Seems like other issuers are adding perks, while Amex Platinum and Cent cards continue diluting them. So personally, I'll have until next January to use up the MR points I've been collecting due to this benefit, while re-assessing where to put our everyday non-bonus spending.
Good to know. I expect them to give at least a year warning. What about those who upgraded from BGR?

Last edited by hiima; Apr 28, 2017 at 10:48 am
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Superorb
Do you have a Starwood card?
Yes, and also Freedom Unlimited and Everyday Preferred. I'm sure Amex (and/or Marriott) will be screwing up the SPG card as well sometime in the near future.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by SeaHawg
Aaaannd It's gone...

Per TPG, starting June 1, the 50% reimbursement will become 35% - Thus making the points worth around 1.54 cents instead of 2.

Fun while it lasted...
Jeez, who could have seen that coming? :0)
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Well this SUCKS.

I've had the Biz Plat for a couple of years and was contemplating canceling it in favor of shifting spend to Chase after I got under 5/24 to combine CSR with Ink Cash and Freedom for good bonus on my normal spend. When Amex introduced this 50% rebate benefit, and enhanced the Priority Pass to include 2 guests, I decided to stay with the card, and i *just* applied for the Everyday Pref to move my family's spend to that card and start beefing up our MR balance.

And now this.

As one of the bloggers calculated, a hypothetical $20K annual everyday spend will now yield ~$459 net benefit from using the earned points on paid travel, whereas the Chase card combo gives you ~$450 benefit, but it's not hampered by coach redemptions being limited to one airline and waiting on rebates to post.

Amex completely dropped the ball on this benefit which isn't even a year old, and left their customers feeling screwed over.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by akcae
Amex completely dropped the ball on this benefit which isn't even a year old, and left their customers feeling screwed over.
It's a major fail on their part. Reducing a benefit just months after announcing it, especially on a card where you induced $450 fees with the benefits, is not a decision they took lightly I would guess. I think they must have been getting absolutely hammered financially. They were not prepared for 2 cent per point redemptions on points that were being earned at 1.5x and better rates.

I posted a few pages back some of the reasons for the perfect storm that took them down, but I think the dwindling availability of domestic saver award F space (along with dropping prices for the same seats) has a lot to do with it.

Still, if I were a major Amex investor, I might be a bit concerned by the rather astounding lack of foresight this experience demonstrates.

I've posted this before, but I think each of the credit card banks, and all of the loyalty programs, would do well to go out and find a travel hacker and put them on the payroll with no job other than to try to anticipate the effect of promotions and redemptions. Because, frankly, they suck at it. They keep ending up having to clean up their messes caused by their inability to anticipate a market which is more efficient, motivated and intelligent than they understand.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
just opened biz platinum 3 weeks ago. it's good to know they are keeping the benefit until one year anniversary but then it means for sure it will be cancelled after that.

chase CSR 1.5 is on all travels, including flight, car, hotel, AND activities (guided tours, attraction tickets, prepaid shuttles etc.). AMEX 50% back is on pre-determined airlines and it's a rebate not really same as 1.5x
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Major, major fail!

What kind of idiotic company rolls out an enhancement like this, one so significant it dramatically extends the value proposition of their product, then turns around and cancels it a couple months later??

I'll be bringing this up during my renewal call next week.

I guess one option is to redeem all of my MRs into a refundable ticket on my preferred airline, get my 50% back, then do it again...and again...until the balance is too small to fund another ticket.

Thoroughly disgusted by this news.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
What kind of idiotic company rolls out an enhancement like this, one so significant it dramatically extends the value proposition of their product, then turns around and cancels it a couple months later??
One that did not properly anticipate the economic consequence of the benefit.

I think in this case Occam's razor works.

They have likely determined that the fallout, which will surely be significant, is outweighed by the economic butt-kicking they are taking as a result of their lack of foresight.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Major, major fail!

I'll be bringing this up during my renewal call next week.

I guess one option is to redeem all of my MRs into a refundable ticket on my preferred airline, get my 50% back, then do it again...and again...until the balance is too small to fund another ticket.

Thoroughly disgusted by this news.
I agree....

Renewal date is in 5 days. and got a $0 offer for 700K spend last year. Looks like it's time to find a new card....
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:38 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Only a guess, but it could be a simple arithmetic error. Chase Sapphire Reserve offers a 50% bonus (points worth $0.015, rather than $0.01 when redeemed for travel). American Express calls this a 50% Bonus, but it's not, it's a 50% refund which doubles the value of the points.

Going forward American Express is offering a 35% refund, and Chase is offering a 50% bonus. The American Express offer is fractionally larger discount, but for marketing purposes 50% bonus sounds larger.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:48 pm

Yeah this has really gummed up my domestic travel strategy 4 months into the year. Was planning to take the $110k needed for WN CP and put that on the AmEx Biz Plat in hopes it would be enough to fly Mr. and Mrs. FlyerTalkUserName on revenue first class flights domestically. No way I can justify that now. AmEx Biz Plat is going on the shelf. Will be an Authorized user on her CSR and never look back. No way I'm renewing.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:00 pm

I'm really ticked about this, and will gather my thoughts before calling to voice my displeasure. I just charged a significant tax bill to my Amex. Pay1040.com charges 1.87%, and getting 1.5 MR per $ charged, I calculated I was paying approximately 1.25 cents per point and would then be able to redeem for 2.0 cents per point. I paid a large fee of approximately $7k to get approximately $11K in travel.

With only the 50% bonus received and waiting for the pending base points to be put in my account, I won't have time to purchase and receive the 50% point reimbursement before the June 1 change.

Big time bait and switch.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Well this just blows. I just added another Amex Business Gold to my arsenal for my Google Adwords budget for my business and so I could get 3x on my spend over the next year just to use this 50% rebate feature. And poof it's gone! Too bad. I had moved most of my personal spending from Chase already. I guess Chase is going to be getting me back.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lkar
I've posted this before, but I think each of the credit card banks, and all of the loyalty programs, would do well to go out and find a travel hacker and put them on the payroll with no job other than to try to anticipate the effect of promotions and redemptions. Because, frankly, they suck at it. They keep ending up having to clean up their messes caused by their inability to anticipate a market which is more efficient, motivated and intelligent than they understand.
+1, for that and your Occam's razor reference reference, spot on.

In the applicable aphorism department, I would add the invaluable Hanlon's Razor, "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.