Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Effective June 2017 the USA Business Platinum airfare Pay-with-Points refund was reduced to 35%. This brings the net value to $0.0153 per point, essentially the same as Chase Sapphire Reserve's Pay-with-Points redemption rate.

USA Business Centurion cardholders will continue to receive a 50% refund. The Centurion version is also broader than the Platinum benefit:

Centurion: beginning October 6, 2016 you will get 50% Membership Rewards® points back when you use the Pay with Points feature for all or part of a flight on any airline. The maximum rebate per calendar year for Centurion members is (_______?)

Platinum: Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (35% Airline Bonus). The maximum rebate per calendar year for Business Platinum Card Members is 1,000,000 points.

FAQ

Q1. How does the process work?

A1. Here is an example, buying a $1,000.00 ticket:
  • $1,000 charged to American Express card [Day 1]
  • 100,000 Membership Rewards points redeemed [Day 1]
  • $1,000 credited to American Express card [Day 2]
  • _35,000 Membership Rewards points returned [~a month later]
  • Net: $1,000 ticket for 65,000 points = $0.0154/point

Q2. Must the Business Centurion or Platinum card be used to purchase the ticket?

A2. When the benefit was refreshed in October 2016 you could pay with any card linked to the same Membership Rewards account, but it appears this changed in April 2017.

Q3. Will I earn Membership Rewards points on the purchase price?

A3. You will not earn base points, but you may earn bonus points if you pay with a card that awards a bonus for airline ticket purchases, such as Business Platinum, Personal Platinum, Business Rewards Gold, Premier Rewards Gold.

Q4. What happens if I cancel the ticket?

A4. There are mixed reports, but in most examples the cost of the ticket is refunded (a second time) to the card account. In one example American Express refunded the remainder of the points instead. If you prefer the points refunded rather than a cash credit, phone into AMEX and they will restore the points and remove the credit.

Q5. Can this benefit be combined with the International Airline Program companion ticket?

A5. One poster was told no, but another was able to do so.

Print Wikipost

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by JBG89
Anyone get the centurion banner that's only a plat member? I requested to be put on the invite list so that may matter?
I received the Centurion email and I am but a lowly Biz Plat holder... Strange.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:09 pm

I imagine the feature will be more widely utilized given that, per TPG, this will be bumped to a 50% rebate for the Business Platinum with your selected airline, effectively boosting the redemption value to 2+ cpp:

Amex will now offer 50% points back when cardholders redeem for a flight through Amex Travel. Note that you’ll only be able to earn a 50% points rebate when you make a purchase with your selected airline, and when you purchase a business- or first-class ticket with any airline.
Question for those who have used it before... do you just login to Amextravel.com and search for flights, and those displayed under your chosen carrier will receive the rebate? How long does the rebate take to hit your account?

I'm eyeing using this option for a flight over Thanksgiving. AA is my selected carrier, and the flight I'm considering displays as an AA flight, but I know it's actually operated by BA. I assume that it will still be eligible for the rebate? I know I need to hold off on booking until the 6th (or whenever further details emerge regarding when this new benefit goes into effect).

Thanks
Old Oct 4, 2016, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL Silver
hey bodiddly. You have it right. Just book your ticket on Amextravel.com and during checkout select pay with points. I can't recall if they mention the rebate. But be sure it's your selected airline. Rebates take about 3-5 days to hit the account after deduction of the full amount. AFAIK, so long as the identified airline is your preferred (AA in your case) it doesn't matter who actually operates the flight. Don't forget, there is also a 50% rebate for ANY business or first class purchase. Doesn't help me much though.

I too am waiting to book travel until this goes into effect. TPG didn't post a source and I came here looking for that info to book some travel.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by staze
I too am waiting to book travel until this goes into effect. TPG didn't post a source and I came here looking for that info to book some travel.
I called AmEx travel and they said it goes into effect tomorrow.

I'm excited about this change but it's kind of a bummer you have to "float" the extra points and wait for a refund.

So even though I have 150k MR points – which should be enough to book 3 tickets for $1k each on my selected airline (AA), I can only book 1 today (down to 50k MR balance), wait a few days for the rebate to bounce me up to 100k MR, book another (balance goes down to 0 MR), wait again for rebate to bring me back to 50k MR points – and now I can only pay $500 out of the 1k for the third ticket, and get 25k points back.

So even though theoretically my 150k points should be enough for 3x 1k tickets, in order to take advantage of that in one booking I would need a minimum of 300k MRs in my account. So you really need a lot of cushion room in your MR balance to get full value out of this benefit, unlike Citi TYP and Chase UR.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:16 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bodiddely
So even though I have 150k MR points – which should be enough to book 3 tickets for $1k each on my selected airline (AA), I can only book 1 today (down to 50k MR balance), wait a few days for the rebate to bounce me up to 100k MR, book another (balance goes down to 0 MR), wait again for rebate to bring me back to 50k MR points – and now I can only pay $500 out of the 1k for the third ticket, and get 25k points back,
Huh? In what Amex scenario can you ever get 2x on your travel portal redemption? Check your math.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by roundtree
Huh? In what Amex scenario can you ever get 2x on your travel portal redemption? Check your math.
One of the changes AmEx just announced is that Business Platinum members will now be receiving a 50% points rebate (up from 30%) for booking flights with their preferred airline via AmEx travel. So a 1k flight = 100k MR points (roughly), but you'd get a 50k MR rebate later.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:23 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by roundtree
...In what Amex scenario can you ever get 2x on your travel portal redemption? .
In the reported new scenario where Business Platinum cardholders will receive a 50% rebate on Pay with Points purchases from their preferred airline:

• 100,000 points redeemed for $1,000.00 ticket
  • -50,000 points returned
  • =50,000 net cost

$1,000 / 50,000 = $0.02/point
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:26 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mia
In the reported new scenario where Business Platinum cardholders will receive a 50% rebate on Pay with Points purchases from their preferred airline:

• 100,000 points redeemed for $1,000.00 ticket
  • -50,000 points returned
  • =50,000 net cost

$1,000 / 50,000 = $0.02/point
Ok, fair enough. When I saw this announced, I didn't even think of it in those terms, since there's no chance of the rebate being instant. Was that anyone's assumption?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 2:24 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA Ex Plat
Lucky at Onemileatatime is reporting that the new changes to the biz plat will get you 50%. Can anyone confirm this?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 2:29 pm
mia

Originally Posted by xxpert
...50%. Can anyone confirm this?
Scroll back to post 17 and read forward.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL Silver
mia on point today. thx

bodiddly, I get your concern about not being able to use the points. I am sure there is a taxation/redemption issue with necessitating the rebate. If they offered it instantly then it could be considered a discounted flight purchase which may violate some terms somewhere. I am only speculating here. Either way, it's a welcome change bumping up to the 50% rebate.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
So how does this work if I have access to two MR accounts, one mine from by Bus Plat and one my wife's, as I'm an authorized user on her Everyday Preferred?

When I search for airfare on Amex Travel and log in with my Amex ID, it asks me to pick an MR account for the source of points. If I pick my wife's, does the 50% rebate still apply, or will I only get it if I pick my own? The bulk of our points are in her account, since Everyday Pref is a *much* better points earner.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:42 am
mia

The new terms are below. When you use Pay with Points you actually pay for the ticket with your card, and then redeem points to offset the charge. I think you must pay with the Business Platinum card, but the wording does not actually say this which makes it unclear if the benefit is linked to the login, the payment card or the Membership Rewards account from which the points are redeemed. Will the system let you choose her Membership Rewards account -and- use your Business Platinum card to pay?

50% Airline Bonus

To use Pay with Points, you must charge your eligible airfare purchase through American Express Travel to a Membership Rewards® program-enrolled American Express® Card. Points will be debited from your Membership Rewards account, and credit for corresponding dollar amount will be issued to the American Express Card account used. If points redeemed do not cover entire amount, the balance of purchase price will remain on the American Express Card account. Points must be used at the time of booking. Pay with Points requires a minimum redemption of 5,000 points.

Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (50% Airline Bonus). For First or Business class flights on a Card Member's selected qualifying airline, the Card Member will still receive only 5 extra points for every 10 points redeemed. Card Member must select a qualifying airline at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice. Only the Basic Card Member or Authorized Account Manager(s) on the Card Account can select the qualifying airline. The airline you select for the 50% Airline Bonus and the $200 Airline Fee Credit must be the same. Card Members who have not chosen a qualifying airline will be able to do so at any time. Card Members who have already selected a qualifying airline will be able to change their choice one time each year in January at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice or by calling the number on the back of your Card. Card Members who do not change their airline selection will remain with their current airline.

If you select Spirit Airlines, Southwest Airlines, or AirTran Airways, to receive your 50% Airline Bonus you must call Business Platinum Travel Service at 1-800-553-9497. A flight booked as part of a travel package or booked with the American Express U.S. Representative Travel Network is not eligible for the 50% Airline Bonus. In addition, to be eligible to receive extra points, Card account(s) must not be in default at the time of extra points fulfillment. If booking is canceled, the extra points will be deducted from your Membership Rewards account. Extra points will be credited to your Membership Rewards account approximately 6-10 weeks after charges appear on your billing statement. See membershiprewards.com/terms for Membership Rewards program terms and conditions. This 50% Airline Bonus is the maximum Membership Rewards points you can get back for Pay with Points on flights booked with American Express Travel. Bonus ID: A6ZB.

Last edited by mia; Oct 6, 2016 at 9:00 am
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:44 am
mia

Has the Business Centurion version of this program also been increased from 30% to 50%? Does the Business Centurion version still allow redemption on any airline, or is it now linked to the $200 airline fee benefit airline?
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by mia
When you use Pay with Points you actually pay for the ticket with your card, and then redeem points to offset the charge.
Does this mean one would earn the standard 2x MR points per dollar when booking through AmEx travel, even when using Pay with Points?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.