American Express going back to just 1 green card

Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up American Express going back to just 1 green card

First out with news. Amex Executives realized their card members lost the essence of being an Amex Card member and will eliminate all credit card products except their 1st card product commonly known as the Green Amex charge card. A card that said you pay your bill in full at the 1st of the month and you are conservative responsible person.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:07 am

Programs: Amex Centurion
April Fools!
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:16 pm

Maybe not a bad idea. Green is the new Black
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:26 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Green? Why not reissue the original purple card?

Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Truth in humor. Monday the Amex CEO was defending what was once considered a "privileged" card.

March 30,2015 Chenault told an audience of the areas top executives at a Boston College Chief Executives Club luncheon

Chenault spoke to the executives about how American Express brand has helped the companys bottom line, shepherding it through a period in the 1980s and 1990s when he said it felt customers should be privileged to have our card in the first place.

Amex should really retreat back to what they were known for as the other banks are now successfully poaching top Amex customers
Old Apr 2, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Hyatt, Hilton
I don't know why, but I always imagined that in a few years, after I lose interest in all this MS, I will just open up a green card, and have that my only card. I dream about this day, but I know it will never come.

Warren Buffet still uses the green card (... why, I don't know).

I really wish Amex would revamp the green card line so that I would have a reason to get it. Why do they keep this card so useless? I mean, based on the discussions @ myFICO, the underwriting reqs are the same as any other charge cards. Who opens these green cards?!! Is it other people like me, who have nostalgic ties to the card, so powerful, that their sense of reason is overpowered?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 2:42 pm

purple card looks rather dapper
Old Apr 2, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL PM
Originally Posted by cloney
And so strange to see someone other than C F Frost named on the card!
Old Apr 2, 2015, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by cloney
I agree, but I thought it was actually made of paper.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 3:48 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
In 1990, I got green because I wanted to feel the prestige. One day I grew up and realized carrying an Amex card should be for real reasons. Then I realized I live midway between NYC and Philly, and I like to go to concerts, games, and theatre, so I got gold. Then I developed the endless travel bucket list and got platinum. What can I tell you? I'm not a snob, but I want my travel cards. Cheers!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.