Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

[UK] My first Gold card year is almost over. Options? [Consolidated]

[UK] My first Gold card year is almost over. Options? [Consolidated]

Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:58 am
pol

You can hold both cards at the same time. You would not receive the sign up bonus for the Platinum card though unless you cancelled the gold and waited 6 months. You can upgrade your gold to platinum for 15,000 MR points but you must sign up through the special link.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver (clawing back to Gold!), Honours Gold, IHG Platinum, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond
Sounds reasonable, my strategy is similar, with a few tweaks

- Hold and keep the BAPP, fee is worth the companion voucher. All Amex spend not covered by the gold card goes on this.

- Hold the gold card for fuel, supermarket, travel, etc spend. Retain for 12 months, get the anniv bonus, cancel for 6 months and repeat. (104k MRs last cycle - lots of double dip with fuel at supermarkets, etc)

- Cycle other Amex cards (currently churning nectar - effectively £100 cashback) but see also SPG, etc in the 'off gold' season.

- Hold and keep the tesco clubcard mastercard - useful for double CC points on fuel as a CC, and any non amex spend.

- Hold and keep the IHG premium visa. Useful for plat status, IHG spend, and non amex spend.

The only grey area I have is which I derive most value from - either the IHG or Tesco cards - I should try and pin this down a little more. If I were eligible for the HSBC premium mastercard, then I would - sadly not currently.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by pol
You can hold both cards at the same time. You would not receive the sign up bonus for the Platinum card though unless you cancelled the gold and waited 6 months. You can upgrade your gold to platinum for 15,000 MR points but you must sign up through the special link.
Hi Pol what is the special link?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:16 am
pol

Originally Posted by amit1978
Hi Pol what is the special link?
You can find info and the link in this blog post here.
http://milesvirgin.com/?p=219

EDIT: This is a link to a post on my own blog about upgrading. I do not earn any commission or referral bonus for anyone using the contained link to upgrade.

Last edited by pol; Apr 1, 2015 at 7:51 am
Old Apr 2, 2015, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Sounds OK. They are not desperately keen on retention bonuses though.

Note that the 7,500 doesn't post for a month after renewal so you need to pay the £125 and then get £110 or so refunded.
Thanks for the headsup - I've been using HFP a lot in the last couple of months, thanks for it!
Old Apr 2, 2015, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by Tom Elliott
- Cycle other Amex cards (currently churning nectar - effectively £100 cashback) but see also SPG, etc in the 'off gold' season.
This is the bit I'm missing from my strategy - need to get stuck into the other amex cards and churn them when i'm 'off gold'
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:52 pm

I'm in a similar position, but one question I have is what to do with the MR points before cancelling the Gold card. I could move to Avios etc, but they are more flexible to keep as MR. What do others do?

Thanks!
Old Apr 5, 2015, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Lambers
I'm in a similar position, but one question I have is what to do with the MR points before cancelling the Gold card. I could move to Avios etc, but they are more flexible to keep as MR. What do others do?

Thanks!
This is a big question for me, too. Will holding a free Green card stop my eligibility for the Gold first year bonus in 6-9 months?
Old Apr 9, 2015, 10:30 am

Today's news has definitely put a spanner in the works for me - petrol and supermarket spend is a big part of my monthly outgoings... hmmm!!!
Old Apr 9, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver (clawing back to Gold!), Honours Gold, IHG Platinum, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond
Agree - this does change things somewhat. As Raffles @ HFP says, this is actually going to encourage more churn, not less as there's little point in keeping the card beyond the 2k spend for the bonus. I'll be putting more through the BAPP I think, and with a bigger 'off gold' season probably cycling SPG and Nectar a little more often.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Geoggy
is it possible to have Amex Plat and Amex Gold at the same time?

I have Plat, but not sure if I can apply for Gold as well and get the bonus?
Just another data point - I have a AMEX PRG and called to get a AMEX Plat in addition to my PRG. The upgrade bonus was only 15k points after 3k spend, but I was told that I can not upgrade and apply for a new AMEX Plat versus upgrading, then get the current 40k points for 3k spend. I did that two months ago and get 40k after hitting the spend. In your case, you have a Plat already, but situation should be similar. If you try and apply when logged into the AMEX website, it sometimes only shows an upgrade option. CS at AMEX advised to log off and delete cookies, then I saw the 40k/3k application page.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 5:16 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
Bad news

Bad news today. Annual fee of PRG UK Amex rising to £140 from 22 July 2015.

More annoying is that the double points for travel will only apply to airline spend from 22 July. I've made nearly all of mine from trains. I won't miss hotels and taxis, though. They never tracked properly.

The double points on foreign currency goes from excluding internet purchases to including all non-sterling spend, BUT there's still nothing like the no foreign exchange fees that the US cards get, so not sure now useful that benefit is compared with using a no-fee card.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Tom Elliott
Agree - this does change things somewhat. As Raffles @ HFP says, this is actually going to encourage more churn, not less as there's little point in keeping the card beyond the 2k spend for the bonus. I'll be putting more through the BAPP I think, and with a bigger 'off gold' season probably cycling SPG and Nectar a little more often.
SPG and Nectar are useless to me - I have a whole load of nectar points that I have no idea how to use, and I don't stay in hotels enough to warrant collecting points that would tie me to a specific chain. I think a Gold/BAPP cycle might be the way to go. Not as lucrative as it was, but ah well!
Old Apr 14, 2015, 9:42 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by shadowline
...I don't stay in hotels enough to warrant collecting points that would tie me to a specific chain...
There is no need to ever set foot in a Starwood hotel to benefit from using an SPG credit card because Starpoints are transferable to three dozen airline programs, most on the basis 1 Starpoint = 1 mile -or- 20,000 Starpoints = 25,000 miles.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by mia
There is no need to ever set foot in a Starwood hotel to benefit from using an SPG credit card because Starpoints are transferable to three dozen airline programs, most on the basis 1 Starpoint = 1 mile -or- 20,000 Starpoints = 25,000 miles.
ooooh! thanks for that

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.