Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there a way to cancel AmEx card without calling?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Is there a way to cancel AmEx card without calling?

I think Citi and Chase have secure message such that you cancel their card easily without calling...

Does AmEx have any secure message (or anything that lets you cancel AmEx without having to call to ask them on the phone)???
Old Mar 26, 2015, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
I think Citi and Chase have secure message such that you cancel their card easily without calling...

Does AmEx have any secure message (or anything that lets you cancel AmEx without having to call to ask them on the phone)???
Amex has a chat feature that I've used before to cancel cards. Click on the ? in the upper right of the browser window after you've logged in to access the button to get into a live chat.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Can you cancel an AmEx card without calling?

I want to cancel a Plat before annual fee hits (either in mid May or mid June)... I prefer to not call and get asked why I want to cancel.

Any way to cancel an AmEx card without calling like what people to with Citi card?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:14 am

Email?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
I did a live-chat to close out my delta amex the other day. The first time I typed in "close card" as the subject of the chat, all agents were suddenly busy and live chat was not available. But I typed in "card services" a minute later and the agent was able to help. He did ask why I wanted to cancel but I just said I didn't use the card and that was it. Easy peasy.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:56 am

I've done it with the computer over the telephone before. Just hit the number for cancel and it was done right then.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
I also wrote a letter in Word and uploaded it using the secure document upload feature (found when logged in to online account).
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
I want to cancel a Plat before annual fee hits
My annual fee has not hit my account even though i have had it for 3 months - if i cancel it now, will i not get charged at all? I'm in the UK so may be different from you.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: Accor Platinum,Aeroplan,BA,Marriot Rewards, Alaska Airlines, Amex Platinum, SPG
I have used the secure email online a few times. Just politely ask that they close the account, and it will be done in abut 24 hrs.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:10 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by kay sedia
... secure email ...
This should work in Canada and other countries where this facility exists, but it was removed from the USA website, and replaced by an interactive chat feature, which isn't always available.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:15 am

I want to cancel a Plat before annual fee hits (either in mid May or mid June)... I prefer to not call and get asked why I want to cancel.

Any way to cancel an AmEx card without calling like what people to with Citi card?
Why wouldn't you want to call and see what they offer you to stay? 5-10K points, maybe they hit before your fee posts and you can cancel after that anyway.

You may want to review this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...n-bonuses.html

Go Heels!!!!!

Last edited by cheapdad00; Apr 29, 2015 at 9:23 am
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:30 am

can confirm you can close the Pt card through a chat... i doubt you'll get any retention offers though this way -- if that's not what you're looking for then the chat works just fine.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:47 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
I'm in the UK and recently cancelled my partners Amex gold card by sending a letter. Was more convenient than getting her to phone.

I mentioned in the letter that I wanted any pro-rata refund returned to the direct debit account. Ł101 was received a week or so later.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cheapdad00
Why wouldn't you want to call and see what they offer you to stay? 5-10K points, maybe they hit before your fee posts and you can cancel after that anyway.

You may want to review this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...n-bonuses.html

Go Heels!!!!!
I highly doubt that they would give you any retention bonus if you only have the card for 2 months.
Old May 9, 2015, 9:23 am

I cut it in half and sent it back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.