Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX Platinum [Canada] vs VISA Infinite Privilege Lounge Access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2015, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

I would guess that the AMEX Platinum card - either directly using that card, or via the Priority Pass card - gives superior lounge access compared to a VISA Infinite Privilege card?
Old Mar 22, 2015, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Pres Club
It depends on your travel habits.

You can find a list of Airport Angel lounges (which is what you get via VISA Infinite Privilege), and Priority Pass lounges on their website so you can make an educated decision based on the airports you visit.

It's worth nothing that the Visa card gets you 6 visits per year, but they can be used on guests as well as yourself. Additional visits are $27.

AMEX Plat's PP Select gets you unlimited visits, but guests are $29. There are also some lounges that you can access via the Plat directly, like Delta SkyClubs.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:14 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by dungeonlurker
You can find a list of Airport Angel lounges
Here, perhaps:

https://www.airportangel.co.uk
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
It depends on your travel habits.

You can find a list of Airport Angel lounges (which is what you get via VISA Infinite Privilege), and Priority Pass lounges on their website so you can make an educated decision based on the airports you visit.

It's worth nothing that the Visa card gets you 6 visits per year, but they can be used on guests as well as yourself. Additional visits are $27.

AMEX Plat's PP Select gets you unlimited visits, but guests are $29. There are also some lounges that you can access via the Plat directly, like Delta SkyClubs.
I have the Canadian AMEX Platinum card. The priority pass one gets with that is that the cardholder AND one guest can get free Priority Pass lounge lounge access. It also allows UA lounge access, whereas the Priority Pass Select card held by US residents does not give UA lounge access.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I have the Canadian AMEX Platinum card. The priority pass one gets with that is that the cardholder AND one guest can get free Priority Pass lounge lounge access. It also allows UA lounge access, whereas the Priority Pass Select card held by US residents does not give UA lounge access.
1. You are paying CAD$699 in AF. I am paying USD$450 (~CAD$565) in AF.

2. It is obvious that there are more U.S. AMEX Platinum than Canadian AMEX Platinum.

3. UCs are crap anyway.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: DL PLT, Hilton Diamond, CX MPC Silver
Not to get too off-topic, but it could be worth noting that the PP Select from Citi Prestige includes access for the cardholder and up to 2 fee-free guests.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:43 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator observation

The purpose of this thread is to compare lounge access provided by Canadian American Express Platinum versus a Canadian VISA Infinite card. There are other threads to compare various version of Priority Pass memberships.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
If the Infinite Privilege cards only provide 6 complimentary visits per year, there is no comparison imo.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:20 am

There are a lot more contract lounges with Priority Pass than Airport Angel.

If you're a low frequency flyer and usually fly alone, the 6 Airport Angel passes should do. You get 4 additional MLL passes for use when flying on an Aeroplan redemption ticket.

On the other hand, the travel insurance coverage of the CIBC/TD Aeroplan Visia Infinite Privilege is far superior than the Canadian Amex Plat. Amongst other things, it covers you when you are flying on a redemption ticket.

It's also my understanding that the auto rental CDW is secondary with Amex but primary for CIBC/TD AVIP.

Last edited by Clipper801; Mar 23, 2015 at 11:29 am
Old Mar 24, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
>> It's also my understanding that the auto rental CDW is secondary with Amex

No such thing. Although Visa does cover unlisted additional drivers for CDW (but not 3rd party liability, obviously) and AMEX does not.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by beep88
>> It's also my understanding that the auto rental CDW is secondary with Amex

No such thing. Although Visa does cover unlisted additional drivers for CDW (but not 3rd party liability, obviously) and AMEX does not.
Thanks. Nice to know. It has been a while since I last reviewed the Amex Policy.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 5:23 pm

I think the BMO World Elite Mastercard allows for 4 priority pass lounge visits/yr. $150 annual fee. I think that has a better value than the Visa Infinite Privilege card.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Clipper801
There are a lot more contract lounges with Priority Pass than Airport Angel.

If you're a low frequency flyer and usually fly alone, the 6 Airport Angel passes should do. You get 4 additional MLL passes for use when flying on an Aeroplan redemption ticket.

On the other hand, the travel insurance coverage of the CIBC/TD Aeroplan Visia Infinite Privilege is far superior than the Canadian Amex Plat. Amongst other things, it covers you when you are flying on a redemption ticket.

It's also my understanding that the auto rental CDW is secondary with Amex but primary for CIBC/TD AVIP.
Clarification:

The 4 MLL passes may only be used by the Primary Cardholder and are NOT "transferrable".

In other words, if the Primary Cardholder redeems 2 tickets from his/her account to fly with someone, only the Primary Cardholder will be admitted to the MLL. The travelling companion will not be allowed to use one of the remaining 3 MLL passes into the lounge notwithstanding that both are booked on the same booking reference with points taken from the Primary Cardholder's Aeroplan account attached to the Visa card.

This is really cheap and stupid by Air Canada and the card issuing banks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.