Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Thinking about closing my Gold Amex, but don't want to lose MR points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thinking about closing my Gold Amex, but don't want to lose MR points

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:13 am
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Question Thinking about closing my Gold Amex, but don't want to lose MR points

I currently have a Gold Amex and a Delta Platinum card.

I used to use my Gold Amex quite often for businesses, but that has changed, and now I only use the Delta card to qualify for the spending and the bonus MQMs

Don't want to lose the MR reward points, but really don't see the need to be paying the annual fee to maintain it

Guess I could transfer the points to Delta and be done with it, but like the flexibility of the MR points.

Would the Amex EveryDaySM Credit Card be the best option to maintain the MR points without an annual fee?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:16 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jfe
Would the Amex EveryDay Credit Card be the best option to maintain the MR points without an annual fee?
Yes.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:28 pm

Platinum no longer worth the money. What should I switch to to save reward points?

I have been platinum for years but since AMEX lost so many lounges and I have not been traveling as much I don't see any real benefit for my $450/year. I have over 600,000 points with them. Searching this board I saw a suggestion to get Amex EveryDaySM Credit Card. Is this the consensus best card for me?

Is it a mistake to use the points to pay card bills and not use them for travel or does the value per point turn out the same?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: All of them, Katie
The EveryDay card is the only one without an annual fee that allows point transfers, so it is best if you're just interested in keeping your points alive. Make sure you get the EveryDay card BEFORE you cancel your platinum.

Paying card bills is a very low value redemption compared to almost any airline transfer. If you have any use for frequent flier miles, this is generally your best value from the points.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Agree with everything the previous poster said.

I have Amex Everyday also. I had earned my points when I was traveling a lot and then gave up Plat, but the Amex Everyday let me make a big points transfer last fall.

You could get $6000 in cash equivalent for your 600K points, but compared to (hypothetically) 4 business class round-trips to Asia, that seems like a bad deal.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:52 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by jfe
Would the Amex EveryDaySM Credit Card be the best option to maintain the MR points without an annual fee?
Just have checked the website and I am convinced that this is the best option for you.

To add a German-centric view: It's a pity that we don't have a credit card like the Amex EveryDay Card here.

Just use it 20 times per billing period will add a bonus on the Membership reward points. This is great!

As some of you know I am not only a fan of Amex but also of having breakfast.

So I *would* make the >20 transactions alone by eating some tasty

http://www.mcdonalds.de/documents/27...=1398179270000

for breakfast and the corresponding fresh coffee.

Before going to work.

That would deliver me an everyday "revolving" 20 % bonus on MR points accrued.

So having that US Amex is a fine option for you.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by jfe
Yes, and in my opinion, everyone should have an EveryDay card. Not only is it a good card to have, but it is insurance for MR points.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:04 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by NYCRuss
Yes, and in my opinion, everyone should have an EveryDay card. Not only is it a good card to have, but it is insurance for MR points.
^
Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
If you're actually going to use the Everyday card for regular spending, consider the Everyday Preferred. $95 annual fee, but it gets a 50% bonus for 30 monthly transactions and has better category bonuses (3x at grocery, 2x at gas). Also a slightly bigger sign up bonus.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:45 am
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dukerau
If you're actually going to use the Everyday card for regular spending, consider the Everyday Preferred. $95 annual fee, but it gets a 50% bonus for 30 monthly transactions and has better category bonuses (3x at grocery, 2x at gas). Also a slightly bigger sign up bonus.
It's a 5,000 difference, guess I will go for the one without fee
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:35 am

There is no downside to getting the Everyday BEFORE the Gold amex right? Plan to have both at some point, but received a good snail mail offer on the Everyday that I would like to jump on.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:38 am
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gum
As some of you know I am not only a fan of Amex but also of having breakfast.

So I *would* make the >20 transactions alone by eating some tasty

for breakfast and the corresponding fresh coffee.

Before going to work.
I am too fat to be eating 20 of those in a month
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by PurdueMan
There is no downside to getting the Everyday BEFORE the Gold amex right? Plan to have both at some point, but received a good snail mail offer on the Everyday that I would like to jump on.
You can get both in the same day. I recently did this.

Applied for a PRG.
Called in to give my PIN for Experian.
CSR complimented me because I was proactive safeguarding my privacy.
Waited a minute.
Approved.

Applied for the EveryDay.
Called in to give my PIN for Experian.
Sounding like a script with the same words as the previous CSR, I was complimented because I was proactive safeguarding my privacy.
Waited a minute.
Approved.

All done in under 10 minutes. If my Experian wasn't frozen, it might have taken just a minute.

Only one hard pull on Experian.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by PurdueMan
What do you consider a "good offer?"
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:48 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I suggest looking in the established thread for infromation about the Everyday cards:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...day-cards.html

However, be aware that some posts do not reliably distinguish between the "Everyday" and "Everyday Preferred" cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.