Centurion UK Travel

Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Gold
Centurion UK Travel

Although it's never been a terrific experience in terms of responsiveness, intelligence and competitiveness, has anyone else experience this service falling off the cliff recently?

I recently asked for 2 different hotel and hotel/flight quotes

South of France - Summer
Dubai - October

Both got priced by American Express Vacations (which it turns out is nothing to do with Amex other than a licensed name) rather than the "in-house" team, despite the fact that both were FHR hotels.

The upshot. The Dubai quote came in Ł5000k more than booking direct. The SoF quote was either 20% more or 50% less, depending on the date of booking direct - but couldn't get confirmation when asking about the 50% less dates..

I pushed back on the Dubai quote, queried why FHR was not used ("we use Amex Vacations for resort hotels") and asked why the client had to do their own research to show the extent of their overcharging.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:02 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
If North America mirrors the UK.... I would say profits are higher using "Amex Vacations" and you are locked into advance payments.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by jsincla
Although it's never been a terrific experience in terms of responsiveness, intelligence and competitiveness, has anyone else experience this service falling off the cliff recently?

I recently asked for 2 different hotel and hotel/flight quotes

South of France - Summer
Dubai - October

Both got priced by American Express Vacations (which it turns out is nothing to do with Amex other than a licensed name) rather than the "in-house" team, despite the fact that both were FHR hotels.

The upshot. The Dubai quote came in Ł5000k more than booking direct. The SoF quote was either 20% more or 50% less, depending on the date of booking direct - but couldn't get confirmation when asking about the 50% less dates..

I pushed back on the Dubai quote, queried why FHR was not used ("we use Amex Vacations for resort hotels") and asked why the client had to do their own research to show the extent of their overcharging.
Overcharging is quite common in Switzerland as well, for plane tickets and hotel bookings alike. That's why I've recently switched to Virtuoso, they're so much more professional and have competitive rates.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:39 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by JohnRain
That's why I've recently switched to Virtuoso, they're so much more professional and have competitive rates.
Music to my ears!
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by jsincla
The Dubai quote came in Ł5,000k more than booking direct.
Ł5m more is a hell of a lot. How long were you staying!?!?!?

As you say, the Vacations is brochured holidays so a very different proposition. When I booked for the Maldives it was much cheaper to go via any brochure (AmEx included) than direct to the Hotel. They were also willing to negotiate both in terms of reducing the price and throwing in free extras (eg free seaplane transfer)

For many destinations its better not to book via brochures but there are exceptions. I've only found that if the number looks "high" via the normal route do they suggest trying the brochure route.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Gold
Of course, other than the typo, my situation was the opposite - the 'automatic' preference for the brochure - which was much more expensive - without checking the direct/FHR routes.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:05 am

it is almost every time cheaper to make your bookings at you owne, and not with AMEX.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Germany isn't any better. I asked for beach hotel suggestions for my Okinawa trip. Few days later they got back to me and claimed that there is only one hotel available to be booked from outside of Japan - the Intercontinental; all other hotels are booked by Japanese agencies for local tourists. I did not even bother to tell them that Expedia and the like offer numerous other hotels ... facepalm

And, of course, the quoted price was far more than what you get when booking directly...
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:16 am

Slightly better experience, at least with the booking of a hotel in Vietnam...Admittedly id done most of the research, called them and told them what I wanted and how much it was available for elsewhere. They agreed to match the price and include 'Amex Vacation benefits'; room upgrade, complimentary 3-course dinner for two and 20% off at the spa. I'm yet to take the vacation so it remains to be seen how many of these 'benefits' the hotel are actually aware of.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.