Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Premier Rewards Gold new benefits and higher annual fee, 6.1.2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: italdesign
Summary of Premier Rewards Gold costs and benefits, effective 6.1.2015:

Cost
$195 Annual fee
$100 Reduced by Airline Fee Reimbursement
$ 95 Net

Benefits
No foreign transaction fee

Travel Protection:
Auto rental CDW (Secondary)
Roadside Assistance
Baggage Insurance (lost, stolen or damaged; not coverage for delays)
Travel Accident Insurance (Life insurance, excludes award redemptions)

Shopping Protection:
Return Protection ($300 maximum per item, 90 days)
Purchase Protection (damage or theft, 90 days; no coverage for lost)
Extended Warranty (Up to one extra year; 5 years maximum)

Rewards
3x Airfare
2x Gasoline
2x Dining
2x Groceries (no cap)
1x General

Compare with American Everyday Preferred

Cost
$ 95 Annual fee

Non-Benefit
2.7% Foreign transaction fee

Travel Protection:
Auto rental CDW (Secondary)
Roadside Assistance
Baggage Insurance (lost, stolen or damaged; not coverage for delays)
Travel Accident Insurance (Life insurance, excludes award redemptions)

Shopping Protection:
Return Protection ($300 maximum per item, 90 days)
Purchase Protection (damage or theft, 90 days; no coverage for lost)
Extended Warranty (Up to one extra year, 5 years maximum)

Rewards (assuming 30 transactions per month)
4.5x Groceries (capped at $6,000 per year)
3.0x Gasoline
1.5x General

Compare with Chase Sapphire Preferred

Cost
$ 95 Annual fee

Benefits

Travel Protection
Auto Rental CDW (Primary)
Lost or Delayed Luggage Reimbursement (covers award tickets)
Trip Cancellation or Interruption Insurance (covers award tickets)
Travel Accident Insurance (Life insurance, $500,000)

Shopping Protection
Return Protection ($500 maximum per item, 90 days)
Purchase Protection (damage or theft, $500 per item, 120 days; no coverage for lost
Price Protection ($500 per item, 90 days)
Extended Warranty (Up to one extra year, 3 years maximum)

Rewards
2x Travel
2x Dining

Compare with Citi Premier, effective 4.19.2015

Cost
$ 95 Annual fee

Benefits

Rewards
3x Travel
3x Gasoline
2x Dining
2x Entertainment
1x General
Print Wikipost

Amex Premier Rewards Gold new benefits and higher annual fee, 6.1.2015

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I still don't think it's worth the annual fee, even with the $100 travel credit. With the PRG having a net AF of $95 vs. the Platinum's net $250, I'd rather pay the extra $155 for lounge access since I travel enough and visit enough Amex and Priority Pass lounges for it to be worth it to me.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:34 pm

Programs: MR, DL, MM, HH
It was hard (for me personally) to justify the $175 fee before. Now with the $100 airline credit the cost is effectively (for me personally) $95. The no forex is a big move up too. I don't care for lounges or first class, I rather spend my money AT the destination, not the few hours getting there.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:49 pm

Member Rewards

The changes to the PRG are attractive if one is sold on MR as their primary currency.

The issue I have is as follows:

Old PRG:

15k point bonus at $30k annual spending
3x Airfare, 2x Gas/Grocery, 1x General
$175 AF

While optimally used for the 3x Airline Travel - the 15k bonus was applicable to all spending effectively giving general spending a bonus from 1pt/$ to 1.5pt/$ at $30k spend for those who could not generate $30k of airfare annually.

New PRG:

$100 statement credit
$195 AF
3x Airfare, 2x Dining/Gas/Grocery, 1x General
No FTF

The annual fee has effectively dropped to $95. However the FTF removal and Dining bonus categories are a bit of a wash. I recognize that they both are there to drive more usage of the card - but what does MR offer that is compelling to divert an already popluar bonus category in other programs towards getting more MR points?

The PRG had great value when it was bonusing general spending at 1.5pts/$ before the Everyday Cards were released. Then it became an over priced Everyday Preferred with slower earning non-capped bonuses. After the 15k bonus was removed the card seemed to be a one trick pony with 3x Airfare. The addition of Dinning does not make a compelling pitch unless one is all in on MR points. I'm likely to think that is not the most popular idea around here with the way Delta is moving, the award program cycling of Alitalia, point suspensions from FlyingBlue, etc.

In my opinion having the PRG mimic the Chase cards in terms of bonus categories means that the only competition comes from comparing the relative value of the MR and UR programs. I'm not sure that AMEX really wins that proposition currently. Instead I'd rather they offer different category bonuses, like Amazon (like Chase Amazon), Online Shopping Purchases (like the Citi att Access), Gym Memberships, etc.

Last edited by vinhsynd; Feb 26, 2015 at 5:54 pm
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:43 pm

This is great news for people like me who just received the 50k bonus MR and were going to cancel before the AF next year anyway. This means $200 in airline credits on top of the bonus. Only question is whether you'll need to designate an airline and whether gift cards will be reimbursed as they are with platinum.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
This is great news for people like me who just received the 50k bonus MR and were going to cancel before the AF next year anyway. This means $200 in airline credits
The official announcement does not say if it's a calendar year benefit. The quote from TPG says it, but I'll wait for the official word.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by italdesign
The official announcement does not say if it's a calendar year benefit. The quote from TPG says it, but I'll wait for the official word.
I would think that it is, since the Platinum card fee credit is a calendar year benefit. I also think you'll have to nominate an airline like with the Platinum.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I also think you'll have to nominate an airline like with the Platinum.
That would be a big turnoff.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:12 pm

Anyone think the Platinum Card will see any similar changes to earning points? Perhaps the 2x points for dining?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:11 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Crazy

Amex drives me crazy with constant attempts to attract customers. Last week they were offering 25K for 2K spend on PRG when I log-in. That disappeared this week. Every time I log into my account there are constantly changing offers of 50 and 75K for 5K spend for Biz Plat or Gold. The offer even changes depending on which device I use. Then there are the snail mail and e-mail offers. Then I read all the posts of people not getting bonuses. Now this announcement 3 months ahead of its implementation. No other bank is so frenetic. Why are the PTB at Amex behaving this way?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 4:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Robl
This is great news for people like me who just received the 50k bonus MR and were going to cancel before the AF next year anyway. This means $200 in airline credits on top of the bonus. Only question is whether you'll need to designate an airline and whether gift cards will be reimbursed as they are with platinum.
Agreed this is a coup for us.

50k MR points
No AF
$100 airline x 2 (if calendar, but I think its safe to assume that it is)
Dining x 2
No FTF

High way robbery right there!
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: BA GfL
How does one get reimbursed for airline fees? And what fees are we talking about here? I almost never pay any of those anyway, except for award bookings. If this Amex can refund $100 of award booking fees (including BA's extortionate charges), it will be worth it. Otherwise it's a very expensive competitor to CSP.

I have both cards, and feel like I need to keep them because there is little overlap in the airline/hotel programs each card connects to. But Amex has looked worse by comparison for a long time, with the high annual fee and FTFs.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:48 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by travelmad478
How does one get reimbursed for airline fees?
Assuming the program is the same as for the Platinum Card you will first select a domestic airline, and then eligible expenses will be automatically reimbursed up to the $100 cap per account per calendar year. The terms will list some eligible and excluded expenses, but in practice some of the excluded expenses (such as gift cards) will be reimbursed, which means it may not matter if you ever incur any fees.

See the Wikiposts of these threads for more details:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-aa-only.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-dl-only.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-ua-only.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...orts-only.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...n-fl-only.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-b6-only.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-ha-only.html
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Assuming the program is the same as for the Platinum Card you will first select a domestic airline...
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:57 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
It would add more value to the thread if you were to explain why choosing an airline before buying a giftcard is a negative.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:00 am

Programs: BA GfL
Thanks, mia. From a quick look at the AA reimbursement T&Cs, it seems that award booking fees are not reimbursable. That stinks. Makes this benefit pretty much worthless to me.

Also, the fact that you have to choose a single airline (right?) for your reimbursements makes it even less worthwhile. Unless you can edit your choice throughout the year?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.