Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Question for Amex Plat UK cardholders re hiring car in US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2015, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond

Hi there,

I use the car hire excess cover all the time on rentals in the UK, but i'm confused about car hire sites in the US in terms of what cover I need to buy and what I don't given the Amex Plat insurance.

I need a car in San Francisco to drive to Yosemite in July for 3 days. picking up and dropping off as close to the Intercontinental (new one) as possible.

If anyone can set me straight on what i'm looking at insurance wise, recommend a US booking site (I have Europcar Gold and the usual Amex and Avis Hertz status) thats fairly simple I would be really grateful.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Geoggy, I'm no lawyer, but my understanding of reading the T&Cs is that you are fully covered. You'll have the liability coverage as well as the damage coverage to the vehicle. Is there a particular clause that you find confusing?

In terms of websites to use, it's worthwhile shopping around. I've often found good deals on holidayautos.co.uk, but generally have been able to beat those prices by using Hotwire or Priceline, or codes for the specific rental companies.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
I just wasn't sure if the policy covered all the extra bits that are needed in the US, like the liability, but sounds like you are saying they are?

best price I can find is hotwire, with Enterprise, but Enterprise website a few dollars cheaper so will book direct as they drop cars off at the hotel according to the concierge.

thanks
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
You can log into www.americanexpress.co.uk/platinum and navigate to Service > Insurance > If you are renting a vehicle. You can also download the full documentation there which would be helpful to have on-hand. I've always operated under the assumption that I am covered by liability insurance -- do you read it differently?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
Often if you can find a competitive Hertz rate using the AMEX UK Platinum CDP through the UK website and prepay in GBP I believe the the collision damage waiver is usually included in the price and you do not need to even worry about making an insurance claim on the credit card if there is a problem. Then you also receive the four hour grace period and potential upgrade plus they also do not charge extra for one way rentals if you want to pick up in town and then drop at the airport or in another city.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
AmEx Platinum UK - Car Rental Benefits Question

I have some queries regarding the AmEx car rental benefits:

1. I have a UK issued card - does this cover rentals in the UK or only abroad?
2. Does the insurance only cover damage to the vehicle, or things like stolen items and injuries too?
3. When a company like Avis offer additional extras like CDW or PAI etc, is there anything AmEx doesn't cover that I should be adding?

Thanks in advance!

H
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
I don't mean to sound patronising HarryKUK, but did you try reading the Amex Plat UK insurance document? As insurance documents go, it's pretty clear and readable! I think all of your questions are covered in the car hire section, which is 1.5 in the current version
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
I don't mean to sound patronising HarryKUK, but did you try reading the Amex Plat UK insurance document? As insurance documents go, it's pretty clear and readable! I think all of your questions are covered in the car hire section, which is 1.5 in the current version
I have read it in the past but I'm currently at an airport trying to make a claim and don't know what I should be doing via Avis, what I should be accepting in terms of charges, how much I should worry about the other driver etc. It was more of an 'in the moment' question.

I've resolved the car issues via Avis and AmEx Card Services but need to deal with any other claims via the other drivers insurance as AmEx won't get involved with that.

I've paid Avis whatever they wanted me to pay (thankfully not a huge amount) and will seek to recover the rest through AmEx in due course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.