Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Frontier Airlines leaving Membership Rewards, 3.5.2015

Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:37 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold

Effective March 5, 2015, Frontier Airlines will no longer be a point transfer airline in the Membership Rewards program. Any Membership Rewards point transfers for Frontier Airlines must be made by March 4, 2015. These transfers will be considered final, non-refundable, and subject to the EarlyReturns® program terms and conditions.
http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...llsite=y&rfs=1
Old Feb 18, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: DL, Hyatt, National
Hmmm...I had to google that, I wasn't even aware of that airline.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:50 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Well... there goes the idea of Amex courting a CoBrand with Frontier.... Another disappointing change to MR... Even if no one used it... Kind of like the ability to transfer to the Comfort Inn...
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfabar1
Well... there goes the idea of Amex courting a CoBrand with Frontier.... Another disappointing change to MR... Even if no one used it...
Why would Amex want to court Spirit airlines???

(In case you're not aware, Frontier is the process of morphing into a near-clone of Spirit.)

Originally Posted by cfabar1
Kind of like the ability to transfer to the Comfort Inn...
Huh??? There is no such program as Comfort Inn. Comfort Inn is just one of a number of brands of the Choice Privileges hotel program, and Amex MR is able to transfer into the Choice Privileges program, and I see no notice at either the Amex site or in this forum that that's about to end.

http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...sTransfer.aspx
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:43 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
... MR is able to transfer into the Choice Privileges program[/B], and I see no notice at either the Amex site or in this forum that that's about to end.]
You also do not see any much (any?) discussion in this forum of transfers to Choice Hotels program, even though the points can be redeemed for stays at Preferred Hotels. (After reviewing threads in the Choice forum, my sense is that this redemption option presents some problems.)
Old Feb 19, 2015, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
You also do not see any much (any?) discussion in this forum of transfers to Choice Hotels program, even though the points can be redeemed for stays at Preferred Hotels. (After reviewing threads in the Choice forum, my sense is that this redemption option presents some problems.)
Perhaps because the MR ratio of transfers to Choice (at 1:1) is quite awful? The Diners Club Club Rewards ratio of almost 1:2 (1250:2400) is somewhat better.

Also, between endless "stay 2 times" (at a cheap suburban Comfort Inn for 1 night, for example) and get 8000 points promotions, and the once-a-year Daily Getaways promotion (for buying points cheaply), most people don't think of Choice as a chain where credit cards are the best way to rack up points.

The Choice card from Barclay doesn't have a big signup bonus usually, but it does earn Choice points faster than an Amex MR card would from daily spend, since it earns 2 points per dollar spent (plus even more when you do stay at Choice hotels).
Old Feb 19, 2015, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA, AS, BA, DL Plat, Chase UR, Diners, UA, F9, WN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Amex MR.
I've transferred MR to F9 on rare occasions. It's sad to hear this news. It's a loss, albeit a small one. Would love to see them pick up AS, AA or UA as transfer partners. Or bring us transfers to SPG or Hyatt at 1:1.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 4:30 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by super-mileage-fan
Would love to see them pick up AS, AA or UA as transfer partners. Or bring us transfers to SPG or Hyatt at 1:1.
AA will never happen, they're locked up with Citi. You can't even transfer TYP into AA. Likewise, UA & Hyatt are locked up with Chase, so that'll never happen either. SPG at 1:1 or AS would be good, though.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:04 pm

Frontier is so awful I almost consider this a positive...
Old Feb 20, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: AA, SPG
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
AA will never happen, they're locked up with Citi. You can't even transfer TYP into AA. Likewise, UA & Hyatt are locked up with Chase, so that'll never happen either. SPG at 1:1 or AS would be good, though.
SPG at 1:1 while great would devalue the SPG program and you would start needing more points for redemptions.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 9:01 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Cardboard55
That's what people who flown Frontier tell me.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: Delta, SPG
Originally Posted by Cardboard55
I do consider it a positive. I heard a terrible story this week about how poorly they treated a friend of mine.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:39 am

Programs: Amex Centurion
Im gonna miss them like a hangover! They did a great job of screwing up the MKE market and leaving it laid bare.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.