Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx losing the battle for big spenders?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2015, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Do you always go through this kind of hooplah to get some measly points?
What are you gonna do when AMEX says: you now must do 60 transactions per month to get the 20%. How about 100 transactions? 1000?
No, but I plan on burning through a fair chunk of the $6000 in grocery store spend this month so I want to make certain I hit the bonus threshold. In regular months I may not care enough. I mostly got the Everyday card so I would have transfer ability to airlines for my 6 figure MR balance.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Chase issues cards which earn 5 points per dollar. To me it is the most appealing aspect of Ultimate Rewards.

Citi used to issue 5X cards. The cards are all discontinued, but many of us still have them. I doubt they will last long, because the points are more valuable than they were when those cards were issued.

American Express Everyday Preferred comes close. 3X at supermarkets, with a 50% bonus for 30 transactions in a month. In this case, the bonus applies to the category bonus, effectively 4.5 points per dollar at supermarkets, BUT capped at $6,000 per year.
$6k a year in groceries is a lot -- other than the people who are trying to abuse this by buying GCs, is the cap really a problem?

I am guessing that they can afford to give you 4.5x because they assume that the 30 transactions per month generates a lot of transactions that it wouldn't otherwise (including non-grocery purchases). Also, there is an annual fee (which the Everyday card does not have)
Old Feb 12, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
$6k a year in groceries is a lot -- other than the people who are trying to abuse this by buying GCs, is the cap really a problem?
If you had a family and a couple of hungry kids, you could probably go through $500/month in groceries through legit spend.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 4:02 pm

I used to like to have a bunch of both MR and UR on hand. However, recently I've switched over to mainly MR for some odd reason (could have something to do with Chase cancelling my checking account and all of mine and Mrs. Knopflers cards except business ink). However, grocery store purchases have always been a strong PRG/Hilton/OBC lean.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 4:37 pm

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ame...me_latest_news

Looks like it is not just the big spenders they are losing.
I am not surprised given the high business and card holders fees AMEX charges.
Costco represented 8% of their total sales volume, so that dip was mostly due to the loss of that partnership.

Costco has always been extremely aggressive in getting the best deal for the exclusivity agreement they have with payment networks. I really don't know why more big box retailers don't do the same.

American Express' decision to go after revolving customers was a mistake, they should've continued to focus on high value larger transactor customers. They tried to minimalize the damage to their brand by branding the new cards as AmEx instead of American Express but it wasn't enough to differentiate it for consumers.

There will be a number of new benefits coming out for AmEx Platinum cardholders soon, let's see if any of those will encourage big spenders to come back.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
Chase issues cards which earn 5 points per dollar. To me it is the most appealing aspect of Ultimate Rewards.
Exactly. Why settle for 2 points per dollar spend (or 2.4 times if you insist), while you can get 5 points per dollar?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 5:33 pm

Exactly. Why settle for 2 points per dollar spend (or 2.4 times if you insist), while you can get 5 points per dollar?
That 5x is restricted both in quantity, and in time frame. You can't get 5x in groceries from the Freedom all year long. I'm using my Freedom for groceries now. I won't be in April. I'll likely be using an Amex.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NYCRuss
That 5x is restricted both in quantity, and in time frame. You can't get 5x in groceries from the Freedom all year long. I'm using my Freedom for groceries now. I won't be in April. I'll likely be using an Amex.
You could load up on grocery gift cards before end.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 5:45 pm

You could load up on grocery gift cards before end.
again it's capped.. a lot of us here spend more than you obviously. ^
Old Feb 12, 2015, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I do agree not everyone will hit that limit however just me and my spouse will hit it every year. I analyzed my spend the last two years and I exceeded $6000.

We eat healthy, prepare all of our meals ourselves, and avoid the center of the grocery store. Two people can easily rack up $250-$300 a week at the grocery store if they are buying high quality food. Not gourmet, just good food.

I moved all of my bills to the EDP, things like Insurance x 3, Internet, power, gas, phone and so on. Those alone will hit 20 transactions a month. Add in 2 trips a week to the store (and its on the way home, not out of the way)...now we are at 28. Gas station... and ding....

You dont "have" to pay your homeowners through escrow....

Chase this year will let me earn a little bit more however, and I just hit the cap this week.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 5:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by winsteven13
again it's capped.. a lot of us here spend more than you obviously. ^
Get multiple Freedom cards. :-:
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tibs
I do agree not everyone will hit that limit however just me and my spouse will hit it every year. I analyzed my spend the last two years and I exceeded $6000.

We eat healthy, prepare all of our meals ourselves, and avoid the center of the grocery store. Two people can easily rack up $250-$300 a week at the grocery store if they are buying high quality food. Not gourmet, just good food.
So get one card each?

Also, are you exceeding it by much? If not, the cap doesn't make much difference. If you spend $6100 we are talking about a few hundred extra pts, which is no big deal. But, yeah, if you spend in the $10k range, then just get a card in each person's name.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 5:48 am

Programs: DL, Hyatt, National
AmEx losing the battle for big spenders?

Oh We've got plenty of earning opportunities was just commenting it's easy to exceed that limit with just two people and one card.

We each have an EDP now for this reason among a few others.

There are still situations where you can squeak a little more out based on shopping portals that sadly Amex shut down a few years back. I loved those 4-10x offers.

Discover just changed their portal and I took advantage of it frequently.

My wife is a points and cash back fanatic.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
I think the appeal is that SPG has more airline transfer partners than any other program, and the 25% automatic bonus eliminates the need to wait for a promotion.

The appeal of Chase Ultimate Rewards is attributable largely to one partner -- United Airlines. I do not foresee a circumstance where Chase would lose UA as a partner, but I do foresee UA devaluing their partner redemption chart, and when this occurs the lack of other Star Alliance options will be painfully apparent.
Then let's talk about the recent massive devaluations of MR member Delta. Oh wait...! Or Flying Blue...oh wait! Or BEAC...oh wait!
It now is clear beyond doubt that Membership Rewards has THE MOST WORTHLESS partners.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Feb 13, 2015 at 8:32 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:10 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
It not clear beyond doubt that Membership Rewards has THE MOST WORTHLESS partners.
Not for me. Now that Delta has added one-way redemptions and partnered with Virgin Atlantic I am accumulating Membership Rewards points for the specific purpose of transferring to SkyMiles. Have already redeemed for a transatlantic flight (NYC-LHR) on DL when there was no saver level availability on AA or UA and no availability on BA or VS.

Every frequent flyer program periodically devalues, no exceptions. It's only a matter of timing. Diversification allows us to transfer to the program which has the best award pricing and availability today, and there is no way to know now who that will be in 2016 or beyond.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.