Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Costco and Amex terminate U.S.A. agreement eff June, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Official information from American Express:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/program-update/

If you cancel your account on or prior to June 16, 2016, your account will not be transferred to Citi, even if you have already received the new card from Citi.
Official information from Citi:

http://citi.com/WelcomeCostco

FT thread on new Citi Costco Anywhere Visa card:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...post-64-a.html

Official transition information from Costco:

https://customerservice.costco.com/s...nd-Credit-Card
Print Wikipost

Costco and Amex terminate U.S.A. agreement eff June, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:27 am
Suspended

Citi to become the exclusive issuer of Costco credit cards.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/vis...ist=beforebell
Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:56 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Will be interesting to see what sort of rewards scheme they come out with to encourage members to get a Costco-branded Visa. Wonder if it will be similar to what's currently in play with AMEX (1-2-3% for various categories). There's going to have to be something more than my other VISA cards offer.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Citi to become the exclusive issuer of Costco credit cards.
And, per the Costco news release, it looks like Citi is getting the existing Amex card portfolio as part of the deal:

ISSAQUAH, WA -- (Marketwired) -- 03/02/15 -- Costco Wholesale Corporation ("Costco") (NASDAQ: COST) today announced it has entered into a new co-brand credit card program agreement with Citi and an acceptance and co-brand incentive agreement with Visa. The implementation of these agreements is subject to the purchase of the existing co-brand credit card portfolio by Citi.[...]
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Hey, at least it's not MC or Discover, IMO.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:02 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Please use this thread in the Citi forum to discuss or speculate about the card to be issued by Citi:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...ch-2016-a.html

This thread, in the American Express forum, will remain open to discuss the ramifications of the loss of this contract for American Express and cardholders.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:06 pm

Costco purchases with the Amex Gold Rewards was 2X points, right? That would be about 10000 points lost per year
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:34 am

No bonuses at Costco ever.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:02 am

For people with a Costco AmEx, have you been successful in converting it to a different card?
Old Mar 19, 2015, 1:59 pm

I haven't even tried to switch. Costco membership is on the card itself, switching now means having to carry yet another card. Not a big issue but my wallet has too many plastics in it already. Unfortunately I think I'll be doing more business with Visa/MC in the future as a large portion of my spending these days are overseas and other than the Plat, none of the other AMEX reward cards have 0% foreign transaction fees. Starwood would get most of my business with my SPG Amex if they were to drop the FT fees. In the meantime, Hilton it is.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by JunkDiver
For people with a Costco AmEx, have you been successful in converting it to a different card?
Not in the past. Based on AMEX, TrueEarning is not eligible for product change.

The situation is that worse when the old styled Costco AMEX cards still exist.

I will simply sit and wait.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by danielchee
I haven't even tried to switch. Costco membership is on the card itself, switching now means having to carry yet another card. Not a big issue but my wallet has too many plastics in it already. Unfortunately I think I'll be doing more business with Visa/MC in the future as a large portion of my spending these days are overseas and other than the Plat, none of the other AMEX reward cards have 0% foreign transaction fees. Starwood would get most of my business with my SPG Amex if they were to drop the FT fees. In the meantime, Hilton it is.
Beginning June 1, the Amex PRG card will also have no foreign transaction fees. Won't help you with your SPG Amex, but just FYI.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Beginning June 1, the Amex PRG card will also have no foreign transaction fees. Won't help you with your SPG Amex, but just FYI.
Good to hear but Membership Reward points are starting to get less useful these days at least to me in terms of transfers. 3 to 1 for SPG and hardly any bonus for Delta. BA is semi useful for NA travels but the tax/fees to Europe is crazy.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 12:29 am

Programs: United Plat
Thinking About Cancelling AMEX/Costco. Suggestions?

Hi,

AMEX/Costco card will to be discontinued in 2016. Looks like Citi will take over the portfolio. I don't remember when AMEX/Costco was introduced, but I had to call AMEX to get this card approved because I had AMEX Blue at that time. I was asked to cancel Blue in order to get Costco card approved. My credit report actually says that my AMEX/Costco card was opened in 1998. I guess 1998 was the time I got Blue.

I want to keep an AMEX credit card with a long history back to 1998. Questions:

1. Will AMEX offer current AMEX/Costco card members an opportunity to convert the card to another AMEX credit card, so card members are able to keep their credit history?

2. I don't want to have a Citi/Costco Visa as I have a couple of Visa cards already. Should I cancel or convert AMEX/Costco card as early as now so Citi won't issue me a Citi/Costco Visa next spring?

Thanks!

Last edited by sfo3388; Apr 5, 2015 at 1:44 am
Old Apr 5, 2015, 12:53 am

Programs: AA UA
Originally Posted by sfo3388
Hi,

AMEX/Costco card will to be discontinued in 2016. Looks like Citi will take over the portfolio. I don't remember when AMEX/Costco was introduced, but I had to call AMEX to get this card approved because I had AMEX Blue at that time. I was asked to cancel Blue in order to get Costco card approved. My credit report actually says that my AMEX/Costco card was open in 1998. I guess 1998 was the time I got Blue.

I want to keep an AMEX credit card with a long history back to 1998. Questions:

1. Will AMEX offer current AMEX/Costco card members an opportunity to convert the card to another AMEX credit card, so card members are able to keep their credit history?
This is what Amex said in their earlier news release - converting to a new card. However, there was no mentioning of keeping account history. Since it would be a different product, keeping account history may be hard. We'll have to see what they'll come up with.

2. I don't want to have a Citi/Costco Visa as I have a couple of Visa cards already. Should I cancel or convert AMEX/Costco card as early as now so Citi won't issue me a Citi/Costco Visa next spring?
Don't quite remember what they did in 90s, but i don't think they automatically issued a new card. I joint costco when they first opened a new store next to my office in 1990? Every time they signed a new CC vendor, there were usually some kind of application process for the new credit card. Then again, it's been so long my memory may have failed me...
Old Apr 5, 2015, 1:44 am

Programs: United Plat
Originally Posted by Bluebirdie
This is what Amex said in their earlier news release - converting to a new card. However, there was no mentioning of keeping account history. Since it would be a different product, keeping account history may be hard. We'll have to see what they'll come up with.
This is about FICO score actually.

My intention is to keep an AMEX card with account age starting 1998 in order to keep my FICO score high. I think the credit line of Blue was opened in 1998. Then Costco TrueEarnings took over that credit line so my credit report has 1998 as the year opened.

If AMEX offers TrueEarnings card members a new product next year but reset the account age starting 2016, I think it will impact the FICO score somehow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.