Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Benefits of American Express personal Premier Rewards Gold?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

I got approved for the Personal Premier Rewards Gold Card
1) Car rental Loss and Damage Insurance is secondary? So Sapphire is better?
2) Is this a credit card with a grace period?
3) Are the points earned same as Membership Rewards?
4) What is best redemption for these points? I need just under 20k points for United for an award redemption - can I do the reverse of Hilton®: 1,000 points = 1,500 HHonors™ points - ie pull points from Hilton into MR.
5) Will they reimburse airline checked bag fee?

Any other tips?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Pres Club
1) Yes, unless you get the Premium insurance. I always use my Sapphire Preferred for rentals.

2) No, it's a charge card - you must pay off your balance in full each month (you do get a grace period, you just can't carry it to the next month)

3) Yes, they're full Membership Rewards points.

4) Tons of options. Completely depends on your needs. You cannot do the reverse and put Hilton points into MR. You also can't transfer from MR to United directly, though you can look into other Star Alliance members. To transfer directly to United, you'd have to get one of the Chase cards that offers transferrable points (like the Sapphire Preferred).

5) No, not that I'm aware of. You might be thinking of the Platinum card which gives you $200 airline fee credit annually.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dungeonlurker
1) Yes, unless you get the Premium insurance. I always use my Sapphire Preferred for rentals.

2) No, it's a charge card - you must pay off your balance in full each month (you do get a grace period, you just can't carry it to the next month)

3) Yes, they're full Membership Rewards points.

4) Tons of options. Completely depends on your needs. You cannot do the reverse and put Hilton points into MR. You also can't transfer from MR to United directly, though you can look into other Star Alliance members. To transfer directly to United, you'd have to get one of the Chase cards that offers transferrable points (like the Sapphire Preferred).

5) No, not that I'm aware of. You might be thinking of the Platinum card which gives you $200 airline fee credit annually.
Thanks @dungeonlurker
I got approved.

Wonder what am I going to do with these pts?
I find the Chase UR are valuable - hotels mainly.

Still wonder where these are to be utilized if United is not in their list?
I have Hertz program too.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:38 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sciconf
...wonder where these are to be utilized if United is not in their list?.
You are looking for this thread. Read the Wkipost first:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l-program.html
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:13 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Thanks @dungeonlurker
I got approved.

Wonder what am I going to do with these pts?
I find the Chase UR are valuable - hotels mainly.

Still wonder where these are to be utilized if United is not in their list?
I have Hertz program too.
There are many more options than with Chase UR, but they're more nuanced in terms of when to use what. Aeroplan and ANA are both transfer partners of Amex and can be used for Star Alliance award flights, so the same flights you would book with United miles. They are often cheaper in terms of mileage cost than United. However, flying on many international airlines with ANA/Aeroplan comes with hefty fuel surcharges. But you can often avoid those airlines and get quite a deal using ANA/Aeroplan. They're also transferable to BA, which are great to use for domestic AA/US flights. And Amex are transferable to Delta. There are other transfer partners outside the big 3 alliances as well. Tons of options. I don't think Amex has any good hotel transfer partner like Chase's Hyatt. In general, transfering Amex/Chase to hotel programs is a poor value proposition relative to airline miles, but Hyatt is the notable exception.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dukerau
In general, transfering Amex/Chase to hotel programs is a poor value proposition relative to airline miles, but Hyatt is the notable exception.
My home airports are SFO/SJC - I might be traveling to Alaska, Hawaii, DTW, Frankfurt, and possibly London. Which airlines shall I consider transfer these points to?

Is JetBlue in the picture? Currently I have remaining points on AA, United and some on Delta.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 7:04 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
For DTW and Hawaii, transfer to BA for use with AA/US is often good value. Only Saver seats are available on AA via BA, but the cost is small (10000 Avios for SFO-DTW).
Old Feb 1, 2015, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fransknorge
For DTW and Hawaii, transfer to BA for use with AA/US is often good value. Only Saver seats are available on AA via BA, but the cost is small (10000 Avios for SFO-DTW).
@fransknorge - I am sorry I am missing something here:
If I am traveling on AA, are u saying booking through BA is better redemption rate?

I went to the BA site, but I could not see how I try to make a award reservation? AA is 25k.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
If I am traveling on AA, are u saying booking through BA is better redemption rate?

I went to the BA site, but I could not see how I try to make a award reservation? AA is 25k.
Transfer to avios (you just missed a 40% bonus), then book your AA flight on the BA.com site using avios. For example, with the bonus, a r/t to hawaii on AA/AS was 17,857 avios in coach. pretty unbeatable if you ask me.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exmike
Transfer to avios (you just missed a 40% bonus), then book your AA flight on the BA.com site using avios. For example, with the bonus, a r/t to hawaii on AA/AS was 17,857 avios in coach. pretty unbeatable if you ask me.
Without the bonus, how many avios for a SJC to DTW?

How do u find out these 40% promos?

There is no foreign transaction fees on this AMEX personal Premier Rewards Gold, right?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:54 am

There is no foreign transaction fees on this AMEX personal Premier Rewards Gold, right?
There is. Only the Platinum charge card and the Delta cards don't have FTAs.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 5:48 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...how many avios for a SJC to DTW?
Read here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...os-2015-a.html
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:36 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold

Yes, booking US domestic with Avios on BA.com is better redemption rate than AA. You will need to create a BA account obviously. Then you have access to award redemption when logged in. Remember that only AA Saver rewards can be booked with Avios, so check availability first. If you are flexible, you will find some. But if your dates are fixed, you might have to go another way.

SJC-DTW should be same as SFO-DTW, i.e. 10 000 Avios for a one way.

To find out about promos: mail subscriptions to Amex offers, monitor blog and Flyertalk of course. There is plenty of ways.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:17 pm

Quick question. Since this is a charge card, it won't be reported to the credit bureaus every month and will not impact the average age of opened accounts, am I right? Or am I confusing this with business cards?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fransknorge
Yes, booking US domestic with Avios on BA.com is better redemption rate than AA. You will need to create a BA account obviously. Then you have access to award redemption when logged in. Remember that only AA Saver rewards can be booked with Avios, so check availability first. If you are flexible, you will find some. But if your dates are fixed, you might have to go another way.

SJC-DTW should be same as SFO-DTW, i.e. 10 000 Avios for a one way.

To find out about promos: mail subscriptions to Amex offers, monitor blog and Flyertalk of course. There is plenty of ways.
Firstly thanks to all for the insight.

It turned out, there is no direct flight from SJC/SFO to DTW - so it will via ORD. SO it breaks down to 10k to ORD and then 4.5k to DTW. Total 14.5k one way

So AA is lower unless you get into the 40% bonus transfer rate? How were u seeing 10k for DTW from SJC/SFO?

Last edited by sciconf; Feb 2, 2015 at 2:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.