Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Unspecified new benefits for USA AMEX personal Platinum coming Spring 2015?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unspecified new benefits for USA AMEX personal Platinum coming Spring 2015?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Will save me $14-$21 a year. If I happen to more more of my booking activity, which is currently direct on AA/US websites, then by default I'll also be using the $10 premium baggage insurance more than I otherwise would.
Old May 9, 2015, 8:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
the 3x on restaurant spending ends on May 10th , I had gotten registered near the end of March - it was capped at 5000 extra bonus points ($2500 in category spend)

I probably got 2500 extra points out of it, so $25 rebate

Any indication of another Plat card benefit/offer to replace this starting May 11th?

My AA Citi Plat just started 3x on groceries/gas/dept store/restaurants until 6/30 - up to 2500 miles -- I'll probably use that for a month
Old May 10, 2015, 8:15 am

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
There was a 3x points on restaurants for the plat card?

They did that Witt the gold card before making it a permanent feature. Maybe they'll add that to thenPlat card
Old May 10, 2015, 9:52 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by zorbachs
There was a 3x points on restaurants for the plat card?

They did that Witt the gold card before making it a permanent feature. Maybe they'll add that to thenPlat card
It was, unfortunately for most of us, targeted
Old May 10, 2015, 10:24 am

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dw
I'm surprised I am never targeted for some of these short term benefits as a means to getting me to use the Plat more often. Perhaps this is because I use my Hilton card for the 6 points per dollar at restaurants. When traveling I often combine this with the H Honors dining program and receive 11 to 14 points per dollar spent. I also wish that the SYNC offers would be more appealing. I use very few of them.
Old May 11, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dw
I know I wasn't targeted. I do hope this is something they'll add to it. My AF is due in a little over a month, and it would be a feature that would push me towards keeping the card. Right now, I will probably downgrade to the PRG.
Old May 21, 2015, 1:38 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I received an e-mail solicitation from a marketing firm on behalf of Amex today and took a survey regarding my thoughts on existing and potential new benefits to the Plat Card. Of course, we all know that card issuers do these types of surveys all the time, and often, nothing actually comes from them.

But what I thought was most interesting is that none of the questions revolved around any enhancements to the rewards structure or travel benefits such as expanded lounge access or status with hotels. Rather, most of the questions revolved around either new protections (trip cancellation/interruption insurance, price rewind feature, cell phone insurance) or enhancements to the existing protections (increased dollar cap for rental car insurance, coverage of full sized SUVs for rental car insurance, various scenarios of lengthening the warranty coverage, lengthening the purchase protection period to 150 days). One that was interesting was making the warranty coverage primary, even for the period for which the product is covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

While some of these benefits would certainly be welcome to me (primarily the trip interruption/cancellation insurance and cell phone insurance).... ultimately I don't think they are what many of us cardholders were hoping for when it came to "new" benefits.

But again, it was just a survey so ultimately it might not mean anything.
Old May 21, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by dw
I received an e-mail solicitation from a marketing firm on behalf of Amex today and took a survey regarding my thoughts on existing and potential new benefits to the Plat Card. Of course, we all know that card issuers do these types of surveys all the time, and often, nothing actually comes from them.

But what I thought was most interesting is that none of the questions revolved around any enhancements to the rewards structure or travel benefits such as expanded lounge access or status with hotels. Rather, most of the questions revolved around either new protections (trip cancellation/interruption insurance, price rewind feature, cell phone insurance) or enhancements to the existing protections (increased dollar cap for rental car insurance, coverage of full sized SUVs for rental car insurance, various scenarios of lengthening the warranty coverage, lengthening the purchase protection period to 150 days). One that was interesting was making the warranty coverage primary, even for the period for which the product is covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

While some of these benefits would certainly be welcome to me (primarily the trip interruption/cancellation insurance and cell phone insurance).... ultimately I don't think they are what many of us cardholders were hoping for when it came to "new" benefits.

Well... That's worrying.

Some of those things are nice and all, but already provided on the Prestige.
Old May 21, 2015, 2:07 pm

I had another survey myself, the survey was around what other premium cards I primarily use for my purchases that wasn't an american express.

For me the comparison the the Chase Ritz-Carlton.
Old May 21, 2015, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Personally, I would actually view primary rental car insurance that included full-size SUVs and luxury vehicles to be a very nice benefit and added value.

For some of the other cards that provide primary coverage, I think they still do not cover the higher end vehicles?
Old May 21, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by dw

They may do separate surveys for insurance type benefits and travel type benefits. After surveying separate groupings, they may then add the things people in each group say they would like to a third survey to compare the most popular ideas.

Just this one survey is probably no indication they are ignoring the travel benefit side.
Old May 22, 2015, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
Personally, I would actually view primary rental car insurance that included full-size SUVs and luxury vehicles to be a very nice benefit and added value.

For some of the other cards that provide primary coverage, I think they still do not cover the higher end vehicles?
I took the same survey yesterday. To clarify: there was no mention of primary rental car coverage--only an increase of current coverage to include full-size SUV or luxury vehicles. Chase gets all my car rental business now and will continue to for the foreseeable future.

The only potential primary warranty added benefit mentioned was for purchased items which currently require you to exhaust your homeowner's or renters insurance first.
Old May 22, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Costco Executive Member, Safeway Club Card
I took the same survey and ranked the rental insurance as high/important but noted in the open fields that I was interpreting this as being "primary insurance" as in the premium/upsell version of AMEX rental coverage...
Old May 22, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RogerMurdock
I took the same survey and ranked the rental insurance as high/important but noted in the open fields that I was interpreting this as being "primary insurance" as in the premium/upsell version of AMEX rental coverage...
Thank you. That is what I would say if I ever receive such a survey. It's ridiculous that Amex does not have this included without the extra $24.95 charge, if they want to compete with other banks.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
One can only dream, but it wold be great if Amex did
  • 200 airline credit including airfare
  • Primary rental car insurance
  • Trip delay/Baggage delay insurance
  • Tiered point earning structure
  • Full Sky Club membership (for access when not flying DL)

Last edited by JHake10; Jun 10, 2015 at 12:56 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.