Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Why do Centurion lounges require boarding pass for entry?

Old Jan 9, 2015, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

I'm not clear on why they require you to show a boarding pass to enter the lounge. Surely virtually everyone who is inside security would have had to show a boarding pass to get there in the first place, right? Neither the Admirals Club nor United Club make me show a boarding pass. It's not a huge deal, but I agree with JAGMAP that having to show three things is a minor hassle and I'm not sure what it's buying them.
m907 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 1:15 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Cardboard55
...why they require you to show a boarding pass to enter the lounge.
Perhaps to verify that you are a traveler and not an airport employee?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I'm not clear on why they require you to show a boarding pass to enter the lounge. Surely virtually everyone who is inside security would have had to show a boarding pass to get there in the first place, right? Neither the Admirals Club nor United Club make me show a boarding pass. It's not a huge deal, but I agree with JAGMAP that having to show three things is a minor hassle and I'm not sure what it's buying them.
In the case of the airline clubs it makes sense because some people use status-based access or class-of-travel-based access rather than membership. Probably having to show the boarding pass is some form of crowd control for those Centurion Lounges which are outside of security. (LGA is the only one landside, right?)

I did use the DFW Centurion Lounge on arrival, and the attendant said they just look for same day travel leaving or arriving at DFW on any airline.

I do agree card + ID + boarding pass is a bit of a hassle, but it's no different than status/membership card + passport + boarding pass when trying to access an partner lounge overseas (although lounge access information may be encapsulated on your boarding pass already).
Old Jan 9, 2015, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Perhaps to verify that you are a traveler and not an airport employee?
Maybe, but is that really such a large problem for them? The intersection of airport employees who don't wear a recognizable uniform and who have an Amex Platinum or Centurion card (or who are willing to pay $50 to get into the lounge) seems like it would be vanishingly small. Maybe I'm wrong, though.
m907 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL GLD; AA GLD; CO GLD
I would imagine its a way to keep track of statistics--i.e. X number of AA flyers are using the club vs. Y number of UA flyers, what flight times bring in the most passengers, etc. That data can then be used for club improvements or marketing purposes.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by berkeleybum
I would imagine its a way to keep track of statistics--i.e. X number of AA flyers are using the club vs. Y number of UA flyers, what flight times bring in the most passengers, etc. That data can then be used for club improvements or marketing purposes.
That is understandable, though the need to show ID in addition to BP & PLT/CENT seems silly. I could see them wanting to verify that you didn't find the Amex card on the ground, but if the card and BP match, why is ID necessary?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:05 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
That is understandable, though the need to show ID in addition to BP & PLT/CENT seems silly. I could see them wanting to verify that you didn't find the Amex card on the ground, but if the card and BP match, why is ID necessary?
I don't have this problem, but my roomate is a III, so he has the same name as his father and grandfather. I would think it's to stop Sr. or Jr. giving his plat or cent to others with the same name.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

As mentioned by someone else upthread, the Admirals Club prevents this by keeping your picture in the system. They snapped my picture one time, and now whenever they swipe my card, my picture comes up on the screen. Positive identification, with no ID required.

Obviously in the scheme of things this is an incredibly minor nit to pick. But I also feel like it would be a pretty easy thing for them to improve.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
As mentioned by someone else upthread, the Admirals Club prevents this by keeping your picture in the system. They snapped my picture one time, and now whenever they swipe my card, my picture comes up on the screen. Positive identification, with no ID required.

Obviously in the scheme of things this is an incredibly minor nit to pick. But I also feel like it would be a pretty easy thing for them to improve.
Other than the DFW C AC, I am never asked for ID when visiting an AC. Also don't have my photo in their system. Just show my BP and I'm on my way..
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
A couple of points.

First, and as suggested above, the Centurion Clubs absolutely do keep usage statistics, including recording the arrival/departure airline and the origin/destination. I had an entire little dialogue about this at the LGA club when I was last there this past weekend since I was curious about what the agent was furiously typing. We were flying Spirit, and I finally said, "I'll bet you don't see many boarding passes like this." I was surprised when the counter agent answered that she actually saw quite a few Spirit BPs. (The LGA club is right next to Pier B with all the Spirit gates, which may have something to do with this.)

Second, and I guess I'm just old-school, but at the Admirals Clubs I've always shown both my club card/credit card and my drivers license without being asked. I'm pulling out my wallet anyway, after all, so who cares?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:15 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
I'm sure a big part of it right now is tracking where people are flying to, to help target new club locations. Possibly also tracking mix of airlines to use in considering how valuable the DL relationship is to them, how much it might be worth if Admirals Club access were ever on the table again, etc.

And I could see the airport employee thing being potentially a big problem, given how generous the food offer at the lounges is. It would easily justify a Platinum card if you could eat your lunch there every day (or as often as you could without getting sick of it, at least).
Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:52 pm

I wonder why you need a boarding pass to enter? I can use both American and UA lounges without one - don't even need to be flying but Amex insists every time. It's annoying to have to show my CC, DL and BP.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I think its for tracking purposes to know when people arrive and from what flights.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by tramm7
I would assume the spirit of the [same-day boarding pass] rule is to prevent people from using the lounge from more than 1 day.
I suspect that one of the reasons is to prevent people that happen to work in the airport from using it for free meals and drinks every day.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sdix
I wonder why you need a boarding pass to enter? I can use both American and UA lounges without one - don't even need to be flying but Amex insists every time. It's annoying to have to show my CC, DL and BP.
AA and UA - you are buying a membership to that club. Even if you have the CC - the CC gives you a membership to those clubs. On UA you can get a gate pass (without same day travel) to access the UA Club. On AA you need to schedule a meeting 24 hours in advance and have the attendees added for getting gate passes.

But in the case of AmEX - you have a credit card. And entry to Centurion Lounge is a benefit of that card. You are not getting a membership to the Centurion Lounge - you are being granted access by benefit. Priority Pass is another benefit you get for free with AmEx Plat - but you get a restricted version (call PP Select).

I think that by requiring same day travel, AmEx might assume you bought you ticket and charged to your AmEx card. Hence AmEx is getting revenue from the purchase of that ticket.

I think the "benefit" applies the same for *G and OW Sapphire/Emerald lounge access. This requires same day international travel and is a benefit of the elite status - not a paid membership.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.