Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by scubadu
Oh, and by the way AA charges more for an Admiral's Club membership than Amex charges for the Platinum card and all they offer is club access. No FHR, no elite status in hotel or rental car programs, no priority pass membership, etc. etc. On the other hand, Amex has one relatively smaller lounge to support ALL Platinum/Cent cardholders, across all four terminals and airlines at DFW. That, by definition, is not scaling to meet the demand you have created through marketing the benefit.
The value proposition and pricing of Amex Platinum and AAdmirals Club membership are completely different. I stand by my earlier guestimate that the average number of Centurion lounge accesses per year for Platinum cardholders is closer to 1 per year than it is to 1 per month. And, I'd guess that the majority of Platinum cardholders have zero visits per year. As you mention, people also have Amex Platinum for FHR, partner elite status, Priority Pass, Platinum Travel, prestige for some, and many other reasons. Compare this to Admirals Club membership: I think it's fair to say that more or less the only reason one has one is for the lounge admittance benefit, and that the average number of visits per year is many times that of Amex Platinum cardholders. This is why I don't buy the scalability problem argument, at least as you put it forth. It's not as simple as comparing the annual costs of the two products against the number of lounges at DFW.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
So, would you agree that the American Airlines Admiral's club has almost identical guest guidelines as Amex Cent Lounges; 2 guests or your immediate family? (meaning that Dad or Mom can bring their entire clan of ankle biters, no matter how many, into the Admiral's Club)

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...nge-access.jsp

Why do you suppose that AA is able to manage that and Amex can't? @:-) (I believe I have answer to that question, but I'm curious to here yours)

Regards
As stated, AA can manage and Amex cannot because it's footprint of clubs is far bigger, and the clubs themselves are also far worse which IMO causes there to be less demand. With that said, I don't like the guesting policy there anymore than I like it with Amex. I still believe guests should be limited to 1 person, family or not.

Originally Posted by Steve M
Well stated. But with that last part, I think that makes you in the minority around here!

By "regularly guest people in," do you mean that you bring in people that you are traveling with, or random people you've met in the terminal or on a "guest meet-up" thread online? Regardless of whether or not you do it, that's certainly something that could be stopped in order reduce crowding. Since Amex is already checking boarding passes, there could be an additional rule that all guests must be traveling on the same flight. That would virtually eliminate guesting abuse, and have no effect on most bona-fide guest situations.
I only guest people I'm traveling with or people I know who may be in the same airport at the same time but not necessarily on my flight. Still, I feel with the crowding level the way it is, that's a benefit that I see as overly generous at this point.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Conversely, if you don't think it's a problem, you of course don't have to read and/or participate in a thread about said topic. Perhaps consider applying your style of advice to yourself, no?

Regards
Good point, I was simply giving crowding updates on visits to the various CLs, but that is obviously no longer the purpose of this thread. Enjoy.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Good point, I was simply giving crowding updates on visits to the various CLs, but that is obviously no longer the purpose of this thread. Enjoy.
The thread started out with post #1 suggesting possible fixes, not just giving crowding updates @:-)
Old Feb 6, 2017, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by cbn42
I agree. I would also point out that crowding is very time-dependent. It's only during peak periods that tables are not available. Placing sweeping limits like those proposed in this thread may generate more complaints than they resolve.
It's true that the crowding is very time-dependent, but we can see from the many data points here that over-crowding can occur just about any time of day or day of the week.

Yes, limits would surely generate complaints. But the complaints are likely to come from those who are already getting very good value for their money with lounge visits (whether solo or with lots of guests). If, for example, someone who racks up 50 person-visits per year threatens to cancel the Plat if they will get limited to 30, I'd call that a bluff.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I completely agree that crowding is time-dependent. I was in the Centurion lounge at MIA last Thursday - at 2:00 pm it was like a refugee camp, with people slumped over their belongings everywhere.

Then 45 minutes later, it was nearly deserted. Go figure.

I haven't read through the previous 52 pages of posts, but I wonder if it would be possible to implement a reservation system, at least for the business center?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Symmetre
Then 45 minutes later, it was nearly deserted. Go figure.
Thanks to AA's lovely idea of re-banking its hubs.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Was in IAH today for three hours post-AM rush. It was not crowded at all. It was so quiet that everyone could hear two people walking in circles around the lounge gabbing on their phones instead of taking it to the phone room.

A man, his wife, and their three kids were admitted with his personal plat. I don't see the big deal. Of course, it's everyone's goal to have whatever suits them best become policy.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
My fix is to just head to ACs. The DFW Centurion was nice while it lasted last year. I've been thru DFW 5 times since mid-January, various times of day, and it's packed. Twice I had 3 hours before a TATL departure and was interested in the back massage - no dice - booked.

Great food, booze & showers. But the club is small and the seating is awful. There are maybe 6-8 comfortable chairs, everything else is upright around those little tables.

Instead, I'm usually going to the ACs. After AA terminated the AC access for AMEX PLAT I just applied the $200 to the AC membership. ACs are improving - at least the food. I'm in DFW Saturday after 0930 to 1230 and may stop in the Centurion one more time. Maybe that time frame will be better than afternoons when I usually show up.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by AATrout
The DFW Centurion was nice while it lasted. I've been thru DFW 5 times since mid-January, various times of day, and it's packed. Twice I had 3 hours before a TATL departure and was interested in the back massage - no dice - booked.

Great food, booze & showers. But the club is small and the seating is awful. There are maybe 6-8 comfortable chairs, everything else is upright around those little tables.

Instead, I'm usually going to the ACs. After AA terminated the AC access for AMEX PLAT I just applied the $200 to the AC membership. ACs are improving - at least the food. I'm in DFW Saturday after 0930 to 1230 and may stop in the Centurion one more time. Maybe that time frame will be better than afternoons when I usually show up.
Maybe the new increased AF will thin the crowd.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by JHake10
Maybe. But I'm going to pay the extra $100; I need the card for lots of other benefits & the CL mobs aren't a deal killer.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I think improvements in other lounges would have a much bigger effect on crowding than the $100 increase. It's actually a decrease for those of us who use Uber regularly and will utilize the new Uber credits.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:44 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion continues http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...te-family.html

See also the announcement of DFW lounge expansion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post28015126

Last edited by mia; Mar 11, 2017 at 4:54 pm
Old May 7, 2017, 2:19 pm

Everytime I think it couldn't be busier I'm proven wrong. There is a line of about 30 people waiting to check in. I just turned around and left. So much for the new policy.
Even two guests is too many. Should be one guest max regardless of relation.
Old May 7, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by WearyTravellerMSP
Even two guests is too many. Should be one guest max regardless of relation.
Something needs to change. Whether it's access policies specific to a location or another change network wide. Every week it's been getting worse at SFO. It's quieter in the terminal.

I tweeted askamex and got a canned response back saying the lounge is capacity controlled. Obviously, they didn't read my complaint as everybody was being let in and there was a line of around 30 people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.