Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Q. Where can I find a list of the airline and hotel transfer partners?

Partner airline and hotel programs, transfer ratios, and rules vary by the country where your American Express card is issued:

Australia: Airlines & Hotels

Canada: Airlines & Hotels

Germany: Airlines & Hotels

International Dollar & Euro Cards: Airlines, Hotels

New Zealand: Airlines & Hotels

UK: Airlines, Hotels

USA: Airlines & Hotels Transfer ratios explained below.

Q. What are the transfer ratios to USA airline and hotel partners?

For most frequent customer programs, 1,000 Membership Rewards points will equal 1,000 miles, points or credits and must be transferred in 1,000-point increments unless otherwise noted.

In the USA version of Membership Rewards the exceptions are:
El AL Israel Airlines: 1,000 points = 20 Matmid points
Hilton: 1,000 points = 2,000 Honors points (as of 1/11/2018)
JetBlue Airways: 250 points = 200 JetBlue TrueBlue points
(The Canadian transfer ratios are listed directly on the Canadian site.)

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki lists all of the Amex USA airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. How long does it typically take to compete a transfer?

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Q. How can I use Membership Rewards points to travel on American Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines or other carriers which are not transfer partners?

Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to three or more frequent flyer programs in each of the international alliances. Any program can arrange award travel on flights operated by all members of the same alliance. Points cannot be transferred from one frequent flyer program to another, instead you redeem for a partner award. The number of miles required is determined by the program through which you redeem, not by the airline operating the flights. Programs in the same alliance will require different amounts of miles, and different co-payments, for the same flights. Do not transfer until you understand the full cost of the flights you need. Do not transfer until you have confirmed availability for your specific dates and route.

To travel on American Airlines or any other OneWorld carrier redeem through:
  • Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
  • British Airways
  • Iberia Airlines
  • Qantas Airways

American also has partnership outside OneWorld with:
  • Etihad

To travel on Delta Air Lines or any other SkyTeam carrier redeem through:
  • Delta Air Lines (DL permits one-way awards as of 01 JAN 2015, however trips originating in Europe carry additional surcharges; Delta also imposes surcharges on trips using some partner airlines such as China Eastern or China Southern, but notably not on trips involving its European partners (as long as the trip originates outside Europe) or Virgin Australia.)
  • AeroMexico
  • Alitalia
  • FlyingBlue (Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Aircalin and Tarom.)

To travel on United Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier redeem through:
  • Aeroplan (Air Canada) No fuel surcharge on flights operated by UA and many other airlines. Read current list HERE. See also transatlantic strategy discussion HERE. Read about changes to redemption charts in December 2015 HERE.
  • All Nippon Airways. Read about ANA fuel surcharges HERE. Read about changes to partner redemption charts in April 2015 HERE.
  • Avianca Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines. Read HERE
    Read about Singapore Airlines' reciprocal mile conversion arrangement with Virgin Australia HERE.

To travel on Alaska Airlines redeem through:

Q. Rather than transferring now, can I preserve my Membership Rewards USA points balance without paying any annual fee?

Apply for an American Express Everyday card, and link it to the same Membership Rewards account. You may then close the other cards.
Print Wikipost

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by mia
Not the best option for which specific redemptions? It would be far more helpful to mention specific routes affected by BA's price increase than to just throw away a one line sweeping generalization.
Agreed. Also depends on when you are booking the BA flights - if before the April devaluation date then the old rules hold.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
I'm looking to transfer into Asia Miles for an inter Aussie trip in July. SYD-BNE return.
Does Amex ever issue promos for transfer into AM?

The redemption values are decent but since I don't have the miles I can't get past the select flight page. Is there YQ/taxes on a Qantas redemption? For instance short haul inter Canada flights are horrendous Aeroplan point value because of taxes/YQ.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:12 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
I'm looking to transfer into Asia Miles for an inter Aussie trip in July. SYD-BNE return.
Does Amex ever issue promos for transfer into AM?

The redemption values are decent but since I don't have the miles I can't get past the select flight page. Is there YQ/taxes on a Qantas redemption? For instance short haul inter Canada flights are horrendous Aeroplan point value because of taxes/YQ.
I don't know if BA is a MR Canada transfer partner but if it is that would seem like the best transfer option here. There would be YQ but the number of miles required would be very low.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Originally Posted by bgriff
I don't know if BA is a MR Canada transfer partner but if it is that would seem like the best transfer option here. There would be YQ but the number of miles required would be very low.

Thanks!!! Much more flexibility (mix of J and Y legs) and only 50,000MR vs 80,000MR.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 12:47 am

what would people say is the best option for me to get my parents home from Europe? They'll be in either Budapest or Vienna, can fly Jun 7-10, and need to go to IAD/BWI area. Preferably only 1 stop, and less cash is better (backup option is BA to London, then Virgin Atlantic, but that's heavy on the cash). Have 300k amex points, either business or premium economy would be great. Much appreciated - thanks!
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:57 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by dagaetch
what would people say is the best option for me to get my parents home from Europe? They'll be in either Budapest or Vienna, can fly Jun 7-10, and need to go to IAD/BWI area. Preferably only 1 stop, and less cash is better (backup option is BA to London, then Virgin Atlantic, but that's heavy on the cash). Have 300k amex points, either business or premium economy would be great. Much appreciated - thanks!
That is going to be hard at this short of notice and in peak summer travel season. I would suggest signing up for an Aeroplan account and see what you can find, it looks like you may be able to make something work via the Brussels Airlines BRU-IAD flight. VIE is probably a better departure point than BUD. If you link your Aeroplan account to your Membership Rewards account, transfers will be instantaneous once you find an option you like.

You can also book an award one way with Aeroplan and the other way with BA if you can't find something for both directions on the same alliance.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by dagaetch
backup option is BA to London, then Virgin Atlantic, but that's heavy on the cash)
Unless it is all on one booking, BA will not inter-line checked bags with Virgin. This will require clearing UK immigration, picking the bags and rechecking them in at LHR T3.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 10:41 am

It looks like there's some space on the LH FRA-IAD 748i in business on June 10th, with a connection from VIE on OS earlier that morning. I think both ANA and Aeroplan have YQ on LH though (I'd love to be wrong on that!). With UA's partner award "sale", it's 115K miles total for two people and low YQ, but that might involve some kind of coupon connection style deal if you don't have UA miles.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by bgriff
That is going to be hard at this short of notice and in peak summer travel season. I would suggest signing up for an Aeroplan account and see what you can find, it looks like you may be able to make something work via the Brussels Airlines BRU-IAD flight. VIE is probably a better departure point than BUD. If you link your Aeroplan account to your Membership Rewards account, transfers will be instantaneous once you find an option you like.

You can also book an award one way with Aeroplan and the other way with BA if you can't find something for both directions on the same alliance.
Oh, sorry if I wasn't clear. They're already set for getting TO Europe, that's been booked for a bit now. It's just getting home that needs to be done. Good advice on the Aeroplan stuff, I will look into it.

Originally Posted by KenJohn
Unless it is all on one booking, BA will not inter-line checked bags with Virgin. This will require clearing UK immigration, picking the bags and rechecking them in at LHR T3.
Ah, good to know. That would definitely NOT be ideal.

Originally Posted by EricTheNerd
It looks like there's some space on the LH FRA-IAD 748i in business on June 10th, with a connection from VIE on OS earlier that morning. I think both ANA and Aeroplan have YQ on LH though (I'd love to be wrong on that!). With UA's partner award "sale", it's 115K miles total for two people and low YQ, but that might involve some kind of coupon connection style deal if you don't have UA miles.
Hmm, that could work. Very early morning for my not-so-young parents but it's an option for sure. I don't know how many United miles my dad has, I'll have to ask. I think he's been getting Chase UR recently, so maybe.

Thank you all!!
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; former GS
Best Airline to Transfer AmEx Points for UA Travel

I know this has been discussed before in both this, and the AmEx forum, but it appears that there have been some recent changes at ANA and Air Canada.

I have 100,000+ pointss in my AmEx account which I am planning to cancel soon. I want to use them to fly ORD to Europe, probably economy. For economy I would prefer UA because of E+. I would obviously like to avoid fuel surcharges.

What is the latest thinking on the best place to move the points; ANA, Air Canada, or someone else?

Thanks
Old Feb 14, 2015, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Do you have elite status that would entitle you to be seated in UA's E+ section? As far as I know, you cannot redeem miles for an E+ seat.

To what "recent changes" in the ANA program are you referring?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 11:11 am

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I am 1K so getting E+ is a nice perk of economy transatlantic travel and makes UA my first choice in redeeming miles for economy transatlantic travel.

I thought I saw that ANA is bringing out new mileage redemption tables; is this true or did I misread something?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by FC ORD
Thanks for your response.

Yes, I am 1K so getting E+ is a nice perk of economy transatlantic travel and makes UA my first choice in redeeming miles for economy transatlantic travel.

I thought I saw that ANA is bringing out new mileage redemption tables; is this true or did I misread something?
I don't know, but if you are ready to book now, all you should care about is ANA's current redemption chart, whatever that shows.

Needless to say, you should not transfer MR points to any program until you have confirmed that the award seats you want are available. (If you are closing your Amex account and have to move the points now, then you do have something of a dilemma.)
Old Feb 14, 2015, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like ANA's redemption program is changing from a distance-based scheme to a zone-based scheme come April, but for a traveler going from Chicago to Europe, the mileage change is insignificant:

http://travelisfree.com/2014/11/05/b...hart-for-2015/

Whether this change will affect ANA's current policy of not collecting surcharges on UA TATL flights, I do not know.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 11:30 am

My platinum card is up for renewal at the end of the month. I signed up for it last year for the 100K points and have used the $200 airline credit on United for both 2014 and 2015. I see no reason to keep it and pay the high annual fee as I don't use it very much.

I'm not ready to book any flights this month so yes, that was my dilemma.

I just bought time this morning by applying (and being accepted) for an everyday card and just linked the two accounts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.