Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Q. Where can I find a list of the airline and hotel transfer partners?

Partner airline and hotel programs, transfer ratios, and rules vary by the country where your American Express card is issued:

Australia: Airlines & Hotels

Canada: Airlines & Hotels

Germany: Airlines & Hotels

International Dollar & Euro Cards: Airlines, Hotels

New Zealand: Airlines & Hotels

UK: Airlines, Hotels

USA: Airlines & Hotels Transfer ratios explained below.

Q. What are the transfer ratios to USA airline and hotel partners?

For most frequent customer programs, 1,000 Membership Rewards points will equal 1,000 miles, points or credits and must be transferred in 1,000-point increments unless otherwise noted.

In the USA version of Membership Rewards the exceptions are:
El AL Israel Airlines: 1,000 points = 20 Matmid points
Hilton®: 1,000 points = 2,000 Honors points (as of 1/11/2018)
JetBlue Airways: 250 points = 200 JetBlue TrueBlue® points
(The Canadian transfer ratios are listed directly on the Canadian site.)

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki lists all of the Amex USA airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. How long does it typically take to compete a transfer?

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Q. How can I use Membership Rewards points to travel on American Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines or other carriers which are not transfer partners?

Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to three or more frequent flyer programs in each of the international alliances. Any program can arrange award travel on flights operated by all members of the same alliance. Points cannot be transferred from one frequent flyer program to another, instead you redeem for a partner award. The number of miles required is determined by the program through which you redeem, not by the airline operating the flights. Programs in the same alliance will require different amounts of miles, and different co-payments, for the same flights. Do not transfer until you understand the full cost of the flights you need. Do not transfer until you have confirmed availability for your specific dates and route.

To travel on American Airlines or any other OneWorld carrier redeem through:
  • Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
  • British Airways
  • Iberia Airlines
  • Qantas Airways

American also has partnership outside OneWorld with:
  • Etihad

To travel on Delta Air Lines or any other SkyTeam carrier redeem through:
  • Delta Air Lines (DL permits one-way awards as of 01 JAN 2015, however trips originating in Europe carry additional surcharges; Delta also imposes surcharges on trips using some partner airlines such as China Eastern or China Southern, but notably not on trips involving its European partners (as long as the trip originates outside Europe) or Virgin Australia.)
  • AeroMexico
  • Alitalia
  • FlyingBlue (Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Aircalin and Tarom.)

To travel on United Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier redeem through:
  • Aeroplan (Air Canada) No fuel surcharge on flights operated by UA and many other airlines. Read current list HERE. See also transatlantic strategy discussion HERE. Read about changes to redemption charts in December 2015 HERE.
  • All Nippon Airways. Read about ANA fuel surcharges HERE. Read about changes to partner redemption charts in April 2015 HERE.
  • Avianca Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines. Read HERE
    Read about Singapore Airlines' reciprocal mile conversion arrangement with Virgin Australia HERE.

To travel on Alaska Airlines redeem through:

Q. Rather than transferring now, can I preserve my Membership Rewards USA points balance without paying any annual fee?

Apply for an American Express Everyday card, and link it to the same Membership Rewards account. You may then close the other cards.
Print Wikipost

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bjywong
A question about for Amex in Canada:

When transferring points from Amex MR to SPG, I noticed the following terms on the Amex website:

“Minimum transfer of 3,000 points; additional transfers must be made in increments of 100. Member must have one qualified stay at a participating Starwood property in the preceding 12 months in order to use the transferred Starpoints®.”

Does anyone know if they enforce the qualified stay requirement?
That's a Starwood question, not an Amex question. It's Starwood that sets the policies for use of Starwood points. (Tho I've never heard of such a policy myself, I've never transferred out of SPG myself, I've simply used them as hotel points.)
Old Feb 9, 2017, 12:27 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bjywong
A question about for Amex in Canada:

When transferring points from Amex MR to SPG, I noticed the following terms on the Amex website:

“Minimum transfer of 3,000 points; additional transfers must be made in increments of 100. Member must have one qualified stay at a participating Starwood property in the preceding 12 months in order to use the transferred Starpoints®.”

Does anyone know if they enforce the qualified stay requirement?
When was that disclaimer put in? I moved points from MR to Starwood to Marriott Rewards. SPG let me move the SPG points to Marriott. I had zero SPG stays in 2016. I did have stays at Marriott hotels.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by Handcake
I moved points from MR to Starwood to Marriott Rewards. SPG let me move the SPG points to Marriott. I had zero SPG stays in 2016. I did have stays at Marriott hotels.
I was about to ask about the same disclaimer (which has been on the Amex site for at least several months) when I found this thread. I'm considering the same transfer (Amex -> SPG -> Marriott) but I don't have any SPG stays. I'm glad to hear it worked for you. Anyone else have any experience with this?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by Low Roller
I was about to ask about the same disclaimer (which has been on the Amex site for at least several months) when I found this thread. I'm considering the same transfer (Amex -> SPG -> Marriott) but I don't have any SPG stays. I'm glad to hear it worked for you. Anyone else have any experience with this?
Moved 270k mr > spg > marriott with no recent stays in either hotel brand. No issues. Redeemed for WN CP.

Wondering if it was worth it now.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 5:07 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I'm glad to hear it works. I haven't yet decided if I'm actually going to do it, but I'm glad to know it's an option.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 12:09 am

I am kind of new to this but am trying to read as much as possible.
Question though: Are Membership Reward points earned with a Platinum card ineligible to be transferred to hotel and airline partners?
Old Mar 4, 2017, 3:50 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by afbond03
Are Membership Reward points earned with a Platinum card ineligible to be transferred to hotel and airline partners?
Points earned with Centurion, Platinum, Gold, Green and Everyday are eligible for transfer. Points earned with Blue (and some discontinued cards) are eligible only if you also hold one of the eligible cards listed in the first sentence.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am kind of new to this but am trying to read as much as possible.
Question though: Are Membership Reward points earned with a Platinum card ineligible to be transferred to hotel and airline partners?
It's what card(s) you hold, not what card you earned with, that determines whether you can transfer.

As an extreme example: If you earn with Platinum, then cancel the Platinum before transferring, and only have an old Blue left, you can't transfer at the point, even though you earned with Platinum.

OTOH, if you earned a bunch of points with Blue, and then get a Platinum, the moment you have the Platinum (even before you earn any points with it, as long as you've linked it to the same MR account as the Blue), you can transfer the points you earned with Blue.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 10:49 am

Okay, thanks for the info. I read something vaguely talking about Platinum points not being transferable but then couldn't find the post again and thought man that sure is crazy. I got the 100k Personal Plat. and 100k Business Plat. in the last few months and thought my points were still frozen for review because I have had no success transferring them but the other day I was able to pay for something on Amazon with them so thought well .... maybe I can't transfer them out because all I hold are Platinum cards. Seems maybe the freeze/review is just not allowing me to transfer them out but I can use them in other ways.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 11:11 am
mia

...maybe the freeze/review is just not allowing me to transfer them out but I can use them in other ways.
Correct. Discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-plat-usa.html
Old Mar 4, 2017, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Link FFP

I could not find an appropriate thread to post my questions.

Yesterday I linked my husband's ANA FFP account to my membership reward account (he is additional user on both my Everyday and PRG card).

However once it is verified and linked, ANA disappeared from the FFPs to choose from, so I could not link my own ANA account to my membership reward account.

OTOH, long time ago I was able to link both my husband's and my DL accounts to my membership reward account and they stay this way.

Since when AMEX changed its rule that you can only link primary's FFP account or additional user's FFP account of the SAME Airline, but cannot link BOTH FFP accounts?
Old Mar 5, 2017, 12:39 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Happy
... ANA disappeared from the FFPs to choose from, so I could not link my own ANA account to my membership reward account.
  • Find the icon that was created for your husband's ANA account
  • Click: Transfer points
  • Click: Link an additional ANA Mileage Club account.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
  • Find the icon that was created for your husband's ANA account
  • Click: Transfer points
  • Click: Link an additional ANA Mileage Club account.
On my page the linked FFP is not a small icon but a Big rectangular display the FFP (and whose account).
Nonetheless I will try the mechanism suggested.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 12:49 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Happy
...Big rectangular display the FFP (and whose account)...
Yes, that's what I mean.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Are points kept separate between personal and business accounts for the same account holder?

I am AMEX PRG personal and AMEX Blue for Business (no AF). If I close my PRG do my MR get retained because of Amex Blue? Or do I need a personal no-fee cc (like Amex Everyday) to keep my personal points?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.