Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JJonahJ
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011. It was very active in 2014, read HERE.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR
(as of Jan 11, 2016 Gold card will no longer earn referral points.)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

AMEX SPG - $120/year, 20K SPG after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)

AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). Normally 40K/41K, extra 10K promo running till Mar 31, 2016
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Old Nov 25, 2015, 8:15 pm

I got the old referral page today.

Logged in to my platinum account to refer a friend and the old page popped up.

Logged into my wifes gold account to refer a friend and the old page popped up too. Find your current card (platinum but she doesn't have one) recommend a different card (gold)
shows 15k referral bonus.

is this old news? I checked back into the thread and no one was talking about it.

I'm still going to refer my friend from my platinum account just in case.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:21 pm
alc

Originally Posted by oathk
Exact same thing happened to me, and I just emailed the BIZ gold account manager with a screenshot showing my referral link stating I'd be receiving a 40k referral bonus.

The account manager called back a few hours later to confirm the additional 10k to my account.

Hope that helps!
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Official answer is 8-10 weeks and YMMV on getting AMEX to expedite it
It comes in batches too, sometime mid-Month, so just wait for it. Doesn't hurt to send secure message though
Thanks, will pass the information along to him.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by scottman00
I got the old referral page today.

Logged in to my platinum account to refer a friend and the old page popped up.

Logged into my wifes gold account to refer a friend and the old page popped up too. Find your current card (platinum but she doesn't have one) recommend a different card (gold)
shows 15k referral bonus.

is this old news? I checked back into the thread and no one was talking about it.

I'm still going to refer my friend from my platinum account just in case.
It seems that Amex gave up on the new page
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:07 pm

Programs: SPG, Nexus, Aeroplan, AMEX MR, BA Avios
Originally Posted by jerryhung
AMEX is offering extra 25% on TripFlex redemptions
10K points = $100
now it's worth $125

GET 25% MORE VALUE
in statement credits when you redeem points for TripFlex rewards until December 31, 2015.*
Is this by invitation? Where did you see this?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by jwongathon
Is this by invitation? Where did you see this?
I got email earlier, but not sure if it's invite only (I don't believe so)

Check in your AMEX redemption page
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:24 am

Programs: SPG, Nexus, Aeroplan, AMEX MR, BA Avios
New data point:

Applied AMEX Gold GCR after July 1
Second card
Got referral immediately
Met 500$ spend 10 days after receipt of card

Received welcome bonus today (almost 3 months after)
Old Nov 28, 2015, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Speedy12
If you haven't received your sign up bonus after spend the required $xx, the standard response from amex is it can take 8 to 10 weeks.

We have applied for many amex cards and we have always (as far as I can remember) got our pts promptly. However, a friend (first time applicant) spent the required $xx on Oct 4 and still hasn't received the 25k pts. Amex emailed last month that it can take up to 8 to 10 weeks for the pts to be posted.
Friend finally got his 25k sign up bonus pts posted online. Took ~7.5 weeks. BUT he hasn't received 1k pts (2 pts per $1 spend) yet for the $500 spend on Oct 4.

Re amex amazon promo, out of 12 cards, only 1 got invite. Managed to register that card plus one more (both personal gold cards) for the promo. No dice for other 10 amex cards.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 3:31 pm

Finally got approved for the SPG Business AMEX. Initially got an automatic decline, had to call in and get them to reopen the application... Took 2 weeks.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:26 pm

Can you refer yourself from a personal Amex SPG card to a biz Amex SPG card,use the same SPG member # and receive 10k referral points and 20 k sign up bonus(after min.spend) ?

Has anyone done this?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by jubberly
Can you refer yourself from a personal Amex SPG card to a biz Amex SPG card,use the same SPG member # and receive 10k referral points and 20 k sign up bonus(after min.spend) ?

Has anyone done this?
That's what I just did. Just waiting to get my business AMEX. No reason it shouldn't work really..
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:21 am
alc

Originally Posted by DealAddict
....No reason it shouldn't work really..
just saying.... while in practice all of us when there is no other choice but to self-refer, we do get both the referral bonus and sign-up bonus, but I will not say there is "no reason" if it doesn't work. Technically self-referral is against the T&C, and hence that is the most obvious reason for it to not to work. AMEX could always do a full audit and reverse all these bonus if they really want to.

Chasing AMEX for the Sign-Up Bonus is rather easy, but if you don't get the referral bonus automatically, it will be a bit more difficult (not say it can't be done) if you need to provide the "friend" that you referred... like, it will be rather hard for you to say "I refer alc, he is my friend, just happen to have the same full name, d.o.b. and address as me. please add the referral bonus for me, thank you"
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by alc
just saying.... while in practice all of us when there is no other choice but to self-refer, we do get both the referral bonus and sign-up bonus, but I will not say there is "no reason" if it doesn't work. Technically self-referral is against the T&C, and hence that is the most obvious reason for it to not to work. AMEX could always do a full audit and reverse all these bonus if they really want to.

Chasing AMEX for the Sign-Up Bonus is rather easy, but if you don't get the referral bonus automatically, it will be a bit more difficult (not say it can't be done) if you need to provide the "friend" that you referred... like, it will be rather hard for you to say "I refer alc, he is my friend, just happen to have the same full name, d.o.b. and address as me. please add the referral bonus for me, thank you"
Self-referral has worked every single time I have done it for regular AMEX and Aeroplan AMEX. I don't think AMEX really care enough about who you are referring... I am not sure where in the terms and conditions it says you cannot refer yourself either...I thought it just said you have to know the people you are referring.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 9:05 am

Self-referral has worked every single time I have done it for regular AMEX and Aeroplan AMEX. I don't think AMEX really care enough about who you are referring... I am not sure where in the terms and conditions it says you cannot refer yourself either...I thought it just said you have to know the people you are referring.
I agree with you, folks feel important when they start interpreting the T&C their own way and post their warnings. I wish more posters just present their own experiences rather than what they perceived to be the rules, because they know it all.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 10:59 am

That's what I just did. Just waiting to get my business AMEX. No reason it shouldn't work really..
Did you use the same SPG membership # for the biz application as you have for the personal card?

Has anyone one else sef-referred,specifically the Amex SPG biz card and received 10k referral and 20k sign-up points by keeping the same SPG membership # ?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:24 am
alc

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
I agree with you, folks feel important when they start interpreting the T&C their own way and post their warnings. I wish more posters just present their own experiences rather than what they perceived to be the rules, because they know it all.
I guess the words "just saying..." to start and the end with in my reply didn't let the readers know I was not very serous about AMEX going to or care to do anything about self-referral.

I was straightly just referring to the comment to the respond "No reason it shouldn't work really.." If my respond seems offensive, I do apologies as it was not meant to be. if you will feel better, I can either edit my post or ask Mod to delete it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.