Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JJonahJ
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011. It was very active in 2014, read HERE.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR
(as of Jan 11, 2016 Gold card will no longer earn referral points.)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

AMEX SPG - $120/year, 20K SPG after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)

AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). Normally 40K/41K, extra 10K promo running till Mar 31, 2016
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards: Platinum
Originally Posted by jerryhung
No, you can't cross-refer, so if you really want to buy 50K Aeroplan for $499/year fee, look for someone to refer you (family/friend or even GCR.ca)

Maybe get her to refer you to AMEX Plat also, she gets 15K, you get 60K with $699 fee - $200 annual credit (or $400 if you do it twice). Much better deal

You get 15K per referral as AMEX Plat or AeroPlat cardholder; otherwise it's usually 10K per referral as AMEX Gold/Biz Gold/AeroGold/SPG/etc cardholder
Thanks Jerry, but I've had the AMEX Plat before, and sadly they've instituted that "one bonus per lifetime" rule. Looks like I'll probably pass on this one; 50,000 points just doesn't justify $500.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by eishv
Thanks Jerry, but I've had the AMEX Plat before, and sadly they've instituted that "one bonus per lifetime" rule. Looks like I'll probably pass on this one; 50,000 points just doesn't justify $500.
Can you point to that phrase in Amex's T&C.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by jerryhung
You get 15K per referral as AMEX Plat or AeroPlat cardholder; otherwise it's usually 10K per referral as AMEX Gold/Biz Gold/AeroGold/SPG/etc cardholder
I've gone through this thread and there seems to be some conflicting opinions on the size of the referrer's referral bonus, for cross-product (same family) referrals.

Somebody said that as a Amex Plat holder, he received 15k referral bonus when referring friend to Amex Plat, and 10k when referring a friend to Amex Gold. If this is true, then the size of the referral bonus for the referrer depends on the type of card being referred, not the type of card being held by the referrer.

However, your post seems to imply the opposite: that the size of the referrer's referral bonus is dependent on the card being held by the referrer, rather than the card being referred to the friend.

Can someone clarify which is true -- does the size of the referrer's bonus depend on: 1) the type of card that the referrer is holding, or 2) the type of card that the referrer is referring to the friend?

For example, if I am holding Amex Gold (not holding Amex Plat), and refer Amex Plat to a friend, after application approval would I receive 10k or 15k referral bonus as the referrer?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by saitojohn
I've gone through this thread and there seems to be some conflicting opinions on the size of the referrer's referral bonus, for cross-product (same family) referrals.

Somebody said that as a Amex Plat holder, he received 15k referral bonus when referring friend to Amex Plat, and 10k when referring a friend to Amex Gold. If this is true, then the size of the referral bonus for the referrer depends on the type of card being referred, not the type of card being held by the referrer.

However, your post seems to imply the opposite: that the size of the referrer's referral bonus is dependent on the card being held by the referrer, rather than the card being referred to the friend.

Can someone clarify which is true -- does the size of the referrer's bonus depend on: 1) the type of card that the referrer is holding, or 2) the type of card that the referrer is referring to the friend?

For example, if I am holding Amex Gold (not holding Amex Plat), and refer Amex Plat to a friend, after application approval would I receive 10k or 15k referral bonus as the referrer?
It is fully dependant on the type of card you hold. If you have a Plat you are entitled to 15k for any card referral. If you have a Gold you are entitled to 10k even if you refer a Plat.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by zer0k1
It is fully dependant on the type of card you hold. If you have a Plat you are entitled to 15k for any card referral. If you have a Gold you are entitled to 10k even if you refer a Plat.
Not as of late. As a Plat cardholder I referred a friend who ended up getting the Gold. 10,000 points hit my account for the referral. Called in thrice and asked why I didn't get 15K and was told each time that it was because my friend got the Gold.

I'm sure if it was the other way around with Gold referring a Plat - they wouldn't give you the 15K either. HA!

Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by tng11
Not as of late. As a Plat cardholder I referred a friend who ended up getting the Gold. 10,000 points hit my account for the referral. Called in thrice and asked why I didn't get 15K and was told each time that it was because my friend got the Gold.

I'm sure if it was the other way around with Gold referring a Plat - they wouldn't give you the 15K either. HA!

Wow that's strange. The terms still display 15k regardless of which card you are referring. I just did a referral on Saturday that got me 15k even though it was a gold. 1.5 weeks ago the same thing.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Called in thrice and asked why I didn't get 15K and was told each time that it was because my friend got the Gold.
Call another time and don't let them without your 5000 points. The website still clearly states 15,000 points to refer a gold from a plat.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:54 pm

The terms still display 15k regardless of which card you are referring. I just did a referral on Saturday that got me 15k even though it was a gold. 1.5 weeks ago the same thing.
zer0k1,

To be clear: you are holding Amex Plat and referred Amex Gold? Or you are holding Amex Gold and referred Amex Plat?

Last edited by saitojohn; Aug 3, 2015 at 8:02 pm
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:27 pm

zer0k1,

To be clear: you are holding Amex Plat and referred Amex Gold? Or you are holding Amex Gold and referred Amex Plat?
I am holding an Amex Plat. Any MR product that I refer from a Plat entitles me to 15k. Even if it is a gold level card. I also hold a Gold card, if I were to refer any MR product using my gold card I would be entitled to 10k, even if I were to refer a Plat.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:54 am

I am holding an Amex Plat. Any MR product that I refer from a Plat entitles me to 15k. Even if it is a gold level card. I also hold a Gold card, if I were to refer any MR product using my gold card I would be entitled to 10k, even if I were to refer a Plat.
Thanks. Using a more extreme example to confirm my understanding: if I hold Amex Aeroplan Plat and I refer just the basic Amex AeroplanPlus (not AP Gold), I would still get 15k AP miles referral bonus?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:55 am

Thanks. Using a more extreme example to confirm my understanding: if I hold Amex Aeroplan Plat and I refer just the basic Amex AeroplanPlus (not AP Gold), I would still get 15k AP miles referral bonus?
Yes
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Yes, that's what it says when I put that combination thru the refer a friend steps
Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: Aeropain: Zirconia Status; Altitude: Marianas Trench Status; UA MP: 1 Kick to the curb status
Originally Posted by Cerenity
Yes, that's what it says when I put that combination thru the refer a friend steps
I can confirm. Did this exact process: self-referral and referral for the basic Aeroplan card while holding the Aeroplan Plat garnered me 30K points. Took awhile to show up though, about 3 weeks.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: AC, BA

As a Gold card member I have referred friends for Platinum and got the 15k bonus so, as usual, YMMV.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by allstar_yvr
As a Gold card member I have referred friends for Platinum and got the 15k bonus so, as usual, YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.